PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Trying To Move To Ubuntu...

ninzombie2017
January 21st, 2019, 10:21 PM
I have an HP 15 - Intel Core i3-8130U - Intel UHD Graphics 620 - 1TB HDD - 16GB Intel Optane Memory, 16GB DDR4. Windows 10 - bleh! Trying to install 18.10 *OR* 18.04 LTS

So I really want to make the leap over to Ubuntu, however, even using a good USB drive, and following the directions on how to download and create the bootable USB drive, this is what ocurred:

1) At first the "live" version of Ubuntu would load like a charm but unable to see the hard disk to install to. Thus, unable to install.
2) Though it might be a problem with the creation of the USB drive, so I low-leveled the USB drive, re-partitioned, reformatted, recreated the bootable USB drive, now getting a fatal error right off the bat - will not even go to the Ubuntu menu to choose live or install.

This is a pretty vanilla laptop...so I don't understand what could be causing this...

Any thoughts?

yancek
January 22nd, 2019, 01:07 AM
Some detailed information on dual booting Ubuntu with windows 10 at the Ubuntu site below. One thing is to verify that fastboot and hibernation are off.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI

CatKiller
January 22nd, 2019, 02:48 AM
One thing is to verify that fastboot and hibernation are off.
Yep, that sounds exactly the initial issue for the OP.

I wouldn't install 18.10. Stick to the LTS releases.

oldfred
January 22nd, 2019, 05:43 AM
If not Windows fast start up setting.
Many systems have drive set for RAID or Intel SRT even when only one drive.
Install the AHCI driver into Windows and then change UEFI setting to AHCI from RAID.

Have you updated HP's UEFI to latest version from HP.
You may have to redo settings in UEFI as it will change many back to defaults.

ninzombie2017
January 27th, 2019, 07:28 PM
Ok, ready to bang my head up against a wall. After trying all of these suggestions - thank you to all of you by the way - I am still struggling. I am going to go through where I am stuck, take pictues with my cell-phone, and post them here for you folks to look at...has to be an answer...

oldfred
January 27th, 2019, 08:22 PM
Is drive an SSD, or NVMe SSD?
If so you may also need to update firmware on it..

HP Envy 17 - 18.04.1 works See post #3
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2392797

ninzombie2017
January 31st, 2019, 01:32 AM
YEAH!!!!! 18.04 LTS on my HP! Had to do a little tinkering to make it work with the WiFi drivers, but hellllloooo Ubuntu and GOODBYE WINDOWS 10!!