PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Ctrl + Alt + fx kills all my processes

crusty1337
January 17th, 2019, 08:30 AM
I'm running Ubuntu 18.10

I'm running maybe 5 applications in gnome and everything is fine.

I press Ctrl + Alt + f2 and I can see tty2 as expected. Logging in and typing "w" shows that tty2 is the only logged in session.

I press Ctrl + Alt + f1 and I return to the gnome gui, but I'm logged out. Logging in again shows no applications running.

Why is my session being dropped when I change to another terminal?

My laptop is connected to a USB-c dock with 2 other monitors connected. That wouldn't be the cause would it?

The Cog
January 17th, 2019, 09:09 AM
I thought the GUI was normally on Alt-F7. Have you tried that one?

CatKiller
January 17th, 2019, 02:03 PM
Why is my session being dropped when I change to another terminal?
I don't think it is. I think you're experiencing an X crash when you change back.

crusty1337
January 17th, 2019, 10:14 PM
I thought the GUI was normally on Alt-F7. Have you tried that one?

AFAIK that is obsolete information, and the GUI is now on Alt+F1 (or maybe the login screen is on Alt+F1 and the GUI is on Alt+F2 ... I'm a little confused now)

Change log from Ubuntu 17.10 (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ArtfulAardvark/ReleaseNotes#Ubuntu_Desktop):

GDM has replaced LightDM as the default display manager. The login screen now uses virtual terminal 1 instead of virtual terminal 7.

crusty1337
January 17th, 2019, 10:21 PM
I don't think it is. I think you're experiencing an X crash when you change back.

Ah hah! You've got it in one CatKiller. Nice catch.

... gnome-session[1982]: gnome-session-binary[1982]: WARNING: App 'org.gnome.Shell.desktop' exited with code 1
... gnome-session[1982]: gnome-session-binary[1982]: WARNING: App 'org.gnome.Shell.desktop' respawning too quickly
... gnome-session-binary[1982]: WARNING: App 'org.gnome.Shell.desktop' exited with code 1
... gnome-session-binary[1982]: Unrecoverable failure in required component org.gnome.Shell.desktop
... gnome-session[1982]: gnome-session-binary[1982]: CRITICAL: We failed, but the fail whale is dead. Sorry....
... gnome-session-binary[1982]: WARNING: App 'org.gnome.Shell.desktop' respawning too quickly
... gnome-session-binary[1982]: CRITICAL: We failed, but the fail whale is dead. Sorry....
... gdm-password][1884]: pam_unix(gdm-password:session): session closed for user USERNAME

Seems to be an issue with my laptop dock.
Doesn't happen when the dock is disconnected.

Thank you very kindly.