PDA

View Full Version : Conky with 30-bit colour

CatKiller
January 11th, 2019, 06:02 PM
Since both my graphics card and monitor support 10-bits-per-channel, I've configured my xorg.conf to use that. Everything's working perfectly with that (in Kubuntu 18.04) except conky.

I've got two conky displays on this computer, one showing the date and one showing the time. They're nice because I can choose the font and layout easily, and they just fade into the background if you aren't looking at them. It's just text on a transparent background.

Conky still sort-of works with the 30-bit colour, but the transparency doesn't. I'd imagine it's expecting to have 8 bits of transparency, and instead it has 2. With the configuration that works with 8-bits-per-channel, it doesn't clear itself: it just keeps piling on new layers. Setting own_window_transparent = false fixes that, but then I get a black box instead of the transparent background.

Every combination of settings I've tried for true transparency or fake transparency gets me either the box or the overwriting, or random stuff from elsewhere on the desktop. I don't need gently fading transparency, just not drawing anything that isn't the text.

Is this possible, or is conky simply too old and janky to be made HDR-aware?

CatKiller
January 11th, 2019, 06:11 PM
Hmm. Everything but conky and steam. That's annoying.