PDA

View Full Version : Selectable list of Ubuntu flavors

leecreighton
January 10th, 2019, 09:40 PM
I am going crazy.

I *swear* I installed Ubuntu a while ago on my laptop, and at the end of the install, I was given choices of what to install. There was a text (not gui ) list of Ubuntu flavors (Lubuntu, Ubuntu desktop, samba, xubuntu, etc) to choose from at the end.

Now, Iím sitting in front of my desktop trying to do the same thing. I have install CDs that are Live Desktop, Live Server, and network install. I canít get that list to appear anywhere, and Iíve Ben through the installations of all three.

What am I missing? Does the list only appear on laptops, or certain configurations? Srsly, this is giving me a migraine from the frustration.

Ars_Ivci
January 10th, 2019, 09:48 PM
Probably it was called a mini.iso.

deadflowr
January 10th, 2019, 09:55 PM
You're probably thinking of the old alternative installer, which I have no idea where that is anymore.
You can look at mini.iso from here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD

crip720
January 10th, 2019, 11:53 PM
Just wondering if you got the ubuntu iso with multi desktops on it, it was/maybe is available, but you had to do a google search to find it. It gave you the option of choosing which desktop you wanted to play with when you log on.

ajgreeny
January 11th, 2019, 12:13 AM
Just wondering if you got the ubuntu iso with multi desktops on it, it was/maybe is available, but you had to do a google search to find it. It gave you the option of choosing which desktop you wanted to play with when you log on.
I do not remember there ever being an official install image with that option available from Canonical/Ubuntu itself, though a few years ago one of the Linux magazines here in UK, "Linux Format" did have such an iso image every time a new version was released.

I think it was possible not only to use a session of your choice of DE when you started but also to install that version, though it is now years ago and my memory may be playing tricks on me.

There were also several other distros that did offer this option (I'm now going back probably 10 or more years) and I think Fedora Core 2, for example gave you that choice; you could even install several DEs simultaneously in the one OS if you wanted to.

crip720
January 11th, 2019, 01:55 AM
It was not an official Ubuntu iso, but it did install multi separate(not different DEs installed on OS) DEs that you could change during log in. Think it was before unity or around 12.04. Thinking back maybe it came with combined separate OSs in one install instead of just the DEs. I know you just had to log out and in again to change, did not have to go though grub

Frogs Hair
January 11th, 2019, 02:38 AM
If grub was not required it was likely a Ubuntu ISO with multiple DE's preinstalled . Multiple DE's can be installed, but there is often duplicate applications including different file mangers. See the flavours link in my signature and you look at all the available DE's.

crip720
January 11th, 2019, 02:31 PM
Was checking google again and found it. It was called Ubuntu AIO, then after Linux AIO.

Tadaen_Sylvermane
January 11th, 2019, 03:01 PM
Net install has this option. I have my pxe server set to distribute it on my lan for installations. Have both 18.04 and 16.04 available.

Frogs Hair
January 11th, 2019, 03:45 PM
Was checking google again and found it. It was called Ubuntu AIO, then after Linux AIO.

I found it

We bring you some of the major Linux distributions (Ubuntu and flavors, Linux Mint, LMDE, Debian Live, Fedora) with different desktop environments on one ISO file that can be burnt on one DVD / DVD DL or USB 4GB+/8GB+ flash drive. Every one of them can be used as Live system, with no need of installation on hard drive, or can be eventually installed on computer for full system experience.

crip720
January 12th, 2019, 01:25 PM
Not sure how they do it, but each different desktop seems like a clean original install, not like if one of us installs different desktops and end up with a mess or broken system.

wheatpenny2
January 13th, 2019, 09:13 PM
The different DEs can be installed individually. At the attached link are the Terminal commands to install them. When you restart, the list you described will be available.

https://beamtic.com/installing-desktop-environments-in-ubuntu