PDA

View Full Version : Looking for an application launcher without a search menu

jon54
January 10th, 2019, 04:26 PM
Hi, using ubuntu 18.04 here. Is there an application launcher (application menu, start menu) available that does not have a search field, or at least does not put the cursor focus into said search field? Also looking for it to have keyboard accelerators (menu access keys), so that I can navigate the launcher by hitting a single key on the keyboard as I drill down into it.

In other words, a basic "classic shell-type" of launcher. Thanks for any suggestions.

jon54
January 17th, 2019, 10:13 PM
Bump

QIII
January 17th, 2019, 10:39 PM
Hello!

You might get a response if your bumped your thread every 12 hours or so. Leaving it be for a week lets it sink to the ooze at the bottom of the sea. Nobody goes deep sea diving to find unanswered threads.

Cheers!

jamesbrown2
January 22nd, 2019, 05:58 AM
Ever find one?

vanadium
January 22nd, 2019, 05:12 PM
Install gnome-shell-extensions. This installs a few officially supported extensions. Install gnome-tweaks, and use that to enable the "Applications menu" extension.

jon54
February 3rd, 2019, 03:49 AM
Install gnome-shell-extensions. This installs a few officially supported extensions. Install gnome-tweaks, and use that to enable the "Applications menu" extension.

Thanks Vanadium. I installed the gnome-shell-extensions, but where in gnome-tweaks do I enable the "Applications menu" extension? Image is the gnome-tweaks window...

Dennis N
February 3rd, 2019, 08:00 AM
Thanks Vanadium. I installed the gnome-shell-extensions, but where in gnome-tweaks do I enable the "Applications menu" extension? Image is the gnome-tweaks window...
Guide for how to get and install extensions:
https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-install-gnome-shell-extensions-on-ubuntu-18-04-bionic-beaver-linux
As it says there, you may need to logout and login in order to have them display. There will be an "Extensions" category along the left-side pane of the Tweaks window.
Note there is a second method, installing through your web browser from the gnome extensions webpage, that many users (like myself) prefer.