PDA

View Full Version : Installing "Die Hard Theme" NOT WORKING

shemhamforash2
January 7th, 2019, 01:06 PM
Hey guys I have Ubuntu 18.04.01 LTS, basically the latest version. And I even installed Compiz & Emerald just so that it would run, but I read that its not really needed?... For some reason its just not working.

Here is basically the original look of the theme:
https://www.gnome-look.org/p/1004775/

And here is the update version also created in 2016 which should work on the latest Ubuntu because if you open up the zip/download you will see that the folder contains: GTK-2, GTK-3, Unity, Cinnamon, Xfwm4 and etc really..
But still the theme is not working and not installing properly... Updated or not, basically even the old one should be working, I see no reason why it would not?

Here is the same Theme just updated (2016):
https://www.deviantart.com/zomby/art/Diehard4-586715454

Does anybody know why?

speartip
January 9th, 2019, 01:45 PM
Does anybody know why?
Yes. The theme as you point out hasn't been updated since early 2016 when Ubuntu was on 16.04 and Gnome 3.22.
Now Ubuntu is on 18.04 & using Gnome 3.28. So unless the theme is updated to work with a later Gnome version, it will always cause problems.

shemhamforash2
January 13th, 2019, 02:57 PM
ok, so how do I fix it so the theme can work, I mean this happen many times when I was even using ubuntu 7,8,9,10,11
whats the big difference now ?

Frogs Hair
January 13th, 2019, 04:25 PM
The GTK version for gnome changes yearly and it's up to the theme developer to maintain the theme. This is why you have to check the GTK version if listed when browsing on gnome look. This theme also uses the emerald theme manager which requires compiz and is not compatible with the current gnome DE though it does work with the Unity desktop and gnome flash back session. Emerald would have to be built because it is no longer maintained.

shemhamforash2
January 14th, 2019, 10:23 PM
interesting enough I did get the Emerald and I have it installed together with Compiz, but I still can't get the theme to work.
I think I will just delete Ubuntu and to and install Mint Mate. =/

Guys, thank you so much for your responses tho !

Frogs Hair
January 15th, 2019, 03:35 PM
interesting enough I did get the Emerald and I have it installed together with Compiz, but I still can't get the theme to work.
I think I will just delete Ubuntu and to and install Mint Mate. =/

Guys, thank you so much for your responses tho !

You are dealing with an outdated theme and as I wrote compiz is not compatible with the current version of gnome. If using 3rd party themes make sure they are up to date and if you have problems contact the developer @ gnome look. People often create themes and fail to maintain them for various reasons. Mate , Mint or Ubuntu would be better if interested in using GTK 2 themes.

QIII
January 15th, 2019, 07:18 PM
What makes you think that Mint with MATE would be any different than Ubuntu with MATE? Mint is Ubuntu-based.

Installing Mint won't change the fact that the theme has not been maintained.

Go ahead and use Mint if that floats your boat. It won't hurt our feelings any.