PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Ubuntu installs/live boot hangs 30-60 seconds after loading

apokkalyps
January 6th, 2019, 03:15 AM
I have built a machine intended to run 18.04 Server. It's a threadripper 2920x on Asrock TAICHI x399 motherboard with a zotac GT710 video card. The installer always hangs on me about 30-60 seconds in no matter what I do.

Data points:

I can boot off USB into passmark memtest and test my ram for 8+ hours with no issues.
I can install windows just fine from USB and run benchmarks and SETI@home for 3 days with no issues.
I can install Debian 9.6.0 and that runs fine for days.
Attempting to install Ubuntu 18.4.1.0 Server or 18.10 Server with subsiquity text installer hangs 30-60 seconds in (regardless of where in the text menu I have made it to).
Attempting to install Ubuntu 18.4.1 Desktop with gui installer also hangs 30-60 seconds in.
Booting into Ubuntu 18.4 Desktop Live starts up and I can get on the internet etc briefly, but soon it hangs like the installers. So it's not "just" the installer.
When it hangs from this issue, if I do a soft reboot by hitting the reset button, it will freeze at the bios splash screen. It must be powered off and back on to retry.
Motherboard is on 3.30 firmware via 2.30 bridge firmware to support zen2.
I'm aware of the ryzen idle issue, though I don't fully understand it beyond relating to going into idle states and not coming back. I have tried setting Power Supply Idle Control to Typical Current Idle, though this was not necessary for the others to work and I am not seeing it have any effect on the ubuntu instances hanging.
I have also tried putting nomodeset and idle=nomwait in the grub linux line and behavior seems the same. (Not sure if I did that correctly, however)

Interested in any thoughts or suggestions. In the worst case I can run this machine on debian though I'm more used to ubuntu and like being able to come to these forums.

apokkalyps
January 11th, 2019, 05:52 PM
I've finally solved this issue and have my machine up and running. For anyone else having a similar problem here's some information. It wasn't just "debian works fine and ubuntu doesn't", debian 9.6.0 is a few years old and runs kernel 4.10, while ubuntu has been moving forward and at the moment the lowest kernel in a supported ubuntu version is (I think) 4.13. I went back and installed unsupported zesty (kernel 4.9) and found that it worked, so this was kernel dependent, whatever it was. With a working ubuntu zesty install, I then used the EOL upgrade path to kinda go through the backdoor to get an 18.04 install. As I sortof expected, that crashed immediately on boot like the installer, but having gone through the upgrade path left the series of kernels in my grub menu and I could run 18.04 off of 4.10 (instead of it's 4.15), and get into a stable system. Then booting into kernel 4.10 I installed ukuu and installed (and tested) kernels 4.19.13 and (recent) 4.20 and saw that the issue persisted.

Finally I debugged the boot with initramfs breakpoints, (successively trying kernel flags: break=top, break=mount, break=mountroot, break=bottom, break=init) if I ran it to break=bottom I could see the last thing on the console before it would crash is "nvme: nvme0: controller is down; will reset" and then it would hang. Googling this was the tipping point. Lots of people have had this issue and some with the exact same WD Black 500G nvme I have. The recommendation was to use the kernel flag "nvme_core.default_ps_max_latency_us=5500". And low and behold I could boot into 18.04 could boot fine on 4.15 and 4.19.14.

One other Gotcha I had was in trying to make the kernel flag permanent by putting it in /etc/default/grub on the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT line, it was not getting persisted to the /boot/grub/... after running update-grub. Turns out there's some issues there with this /etc/default/grub.d/50-curtin-settings.cfg which seems to be added during install as a bug (?) when doing a regular install that is not via curtin or MAAS. That overrides the user setting of GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT in /etc/default/grub. It also had 2 other settings I didn't want in it, one forcing my grub menu into text mode and the other turning off the probing for other OS's (not that I have any, but no reason for that to be disabled for me). I just renamed /etc/default/grub.d/50-curtin-settings.cfg to /etc/default/grub.d/50-curtin-settings.cfg.disabled and ran update grub. Rebooted and got a nice graphical grub screen and default kernel flags that prevent the nvme issue from locking the machine up during boot.
So now I'm in business. What a relief!