PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] 18.04: Even with WaylandEnable=false gdm3 and lightdm only load sometimes

Dáire Fagan
January 5th, 2019, 08:58 AM
I have a GTX970, using nvidia-driver-415, and the following is what happens with each greeter.

lightdm:

Every third or so login instead of the greeter I would see a blinking underscore top left of an otherwise black screen. When I was able to login, Ubuntu would tell me that a System Program problem has been detected and prompted me to report the error, which I have been doing. /var/crash/ then would contain a newly generated _usr_lib_xorg_Xorg.0.crash file. I have copied this file to my home directory, but I am still unable to open it with a text editor to investigate? Searching for the file online I found a post where someone explained their issue was with lightdm (I appreciate my issue could be something else), but as I was using lightdm, I thought I would try gdm3 again.

gdm3:

After my recent 16.04/16.10 installs, when I use gdm3, even with WaylandEnable=false uncommented in /etc/gdm3/custom.conf, I could never login, instead of the the greeter I would see either a black screen or graphic distortion like a black screen with some pink lines across the top, and I was only able to login setting nomodeset.

Despite this, a few days ago I tried gdm3 again, so I input the following:

sudo apt-get install gdm3
sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm3

This seemed to work - kind of, for the first few days I could boot most of the time. I have quiet splash permanently removed from my boot options, and boot was sometimes hanging on Started NVIDIA Persistence Daemon as below:

Then this morning, I attempted to boot but 4 or 5 times the system stopped booting at the following two different lines, and I could only login with nomodeset:

I appreciate one of those stopped after doing something with my encrypted driver liberty - but nomodeset immediately resolved the issue next boot, so this issue is graphics related. I believe it is the same issue that was displaying Started NVIDIA Persistence Daemonu up until this morning. Searching for this online though, the only advice I found was to either uncomment WaylandEnable=false or using lightdm instead, and I have tried both. I am happy to use either display manager, I just want one of them to be stable and load reliably :)

How can I begin to resolve this please?

Dáire Fagan
January 7th, 2019, 07:00 PM
lightdm

lightdm:
Installed: 1.26.0-0ubuntu1

Same lightdm issue again today, instead of seeing the greeter I see a black screen, with a single white underscore top left, and the screen flashes every second or so.

I could not get to a shell using ctrl + alt + f3/f4/f5, so I rebooted, logged in again using nomodeset, and from a terminal checked the permissions of the following:

-rw------- 1 dusf dusf 56 Jan 7 17:38 .Xauthority
-rw------- 1 dusf dusf 15886 Jan 7 17:38 .ICEauthority

drwxrwxrwt 16 root root 4096 Jan 7 17:45 /tmp

Then input:

sudo chown dusf:dusf .Xauthority
sudo chown dusf:dusf .ICEauthority
sudo chmod a+wt /tmp

I rebooted and I was able to login, but Ubuntu has just reported another error:

I expect the crash after login is connected to whatever is preventing the greeter loading. I used apport to put the files in a directory, and then I zipped them to upload here but the file exceeds the maximum upload size. Is there no easier way to read what the crash log is saying, and get this fixed?

Dáire Fagan
January 7th, 2019, 08:39 PM
lightdm

Same issue again on rebooting, this time rebooted with nomodeset, and when I saw the greeter I switched to a shell and input:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure lightdm

...selected lightdm, and then rebooted.

Able to login normally, but Ubuntu warns me again of System Program problem detected.

In:

cat .xsession-errors

the last line reads:

_=/usr/bin/dbus-update-activation-environment

This is possibly related, as an underscore is what I see instead of the greeter?

corradoventu
January 8th, 2019, 10:07 AM
To open a .crash file in /var/crash you must be authorized to group whoopsie

sudo adduser xxx whoopsie
where xxx is your userid
you may check your groups with:
corrado@corrado-p6-dd-1227:~$ groups
corrado adm cdrom sudo dip plugdev lpadmin whoopsie sambashare
corrado@corrado-p6-dd-1227:~$

warning: you will have woopsie group only at next login

Dáire Fagan
January 8th, 2019, 01:58 PM
To open a .crash file in /var/crash you must be authorized to group whoopsie

sudo adduser xxx whoopsie
where xxx is your userid
you may check your groups with:
corrado@corrado-p6-dd-1227:~$ groups
corrado adm cdrom sudo dip plugdev lpadmin whoopsie sambashare
corrado@corrado-p6-dd-1227:~$

warning: you will have woopsie group only at next login

Done, thank you for that. I will upload the crash log on the next System Program problem detected.

Is there somewhere I can view a log from when my system attempted to load the greeter unsuccessfully, after I login immediately afterward using a workaround?

lightdm

Same issue again today:

mv .Xauthority .Xauthority.bak

Greeter loaded successfully on next boot.

Dáire Fagan
January 9th, 2019, 12:36 PM
lightdm

Same black screen again on boot, current workaround:

sudo apt-get purge lightdmsudo apt-get install --reinstall lightdm
sudo apt-get install gnome
reboot

I have logged in twice since, and there has been no System Program problem detected just yet...

Dáire Fagan
January 13th, 2019, 09:14 AM
lightdm

So after a sudo apt upgrade a few days ago with the same issue recurring I used nomodeset, switched to a TTY and input the following:

sudo apt upgradesudo apt purge lightdm
sudo apt purge gnome
sudo apt purge nvidia*
sudo apt remove nvidia-driver-415
reboot
sudo apt purge nvidia-*
sudo apt install nvidia-415
sudo apt install nvidia-driver-415
reboot
sudo apt purge xorg-* xserver-xorg
sudo apt install xorg xserver-xorg
sudo dpkg-reconfigure xorg
sudo apt purge ubuntu-gnome-desktop
sudo apt purge gnome-desktop-environment
apt install ubuntu-gnome-desktop
sudo apt install ubuntu-gnome-desktop
sudo apt purge lightdm
sudo apt install --reinstall lightdm

I was able to access the greeter and login in successfully then for a few days, but again this morning the same flashing underscore screen. After logging in using nomodeset, looking at my .bash_history, I can see the last two commands I input last night were:

sudo apt updatesudo apt upgrade

So I think it is possible that upset something with lightdm.

Perhaps there is something in the following logs that could shed some light on the issue?

cat /var/log/lightdm/lightdm.log

https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/wkfmNrrctG/

cat /var/log/kern.log

https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/g9bRKpMnxW/

cat .xsession-errors

https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/KhjrKYwmdj/

From some reading this morning, perhaps something could be done by adding an xrandr line to a config file? Some of the files people mention do not exist on my system, and people mention adding many different xrandr lines to many different files.

I am out of my depth here, could someone please advise?

Dáire Fagan
January 14th, 2019, 01:48 PM
I am using 18.04, not 16.04.