PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] 18.04: 'Command 'gparted' not found... gparted is already the newest version'

Dáire Fagan
December 30th, 2018, 10:52 AM
I have just freshly installed 18.04, and after I pressed the super key to search for gparted and it was not found, I tried installing it but the output told me it was already installed and the newest version. Next I tried running gparted from terminal, but the command was not found, and strangely I was then prompted to install it.

dusf@contraption:~$ sudo apt install gparted
[sudo] password for dusf:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
gparted is already the newest version (0.30.0-3ubuntu1).
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

dusf@contraption:~$ gparted

Command 'gparted' not found, but can be installed with:

sudo apt install gparted

Please note, following ManualFullSystemEncryption (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ManualFullSystemEncryption) verbatim, I have installed LVM over LUKS. Yesterday I followed the same guide, but installed 18.10, and experienced the same issue. At the time I put this down to the guide being untested and unintended for 18.10. Yesterday I also uninstalled apt removed gparted and installed it again, before searching for and following posts I found online on how to deal with the missing libraries that were output in error messages, but I never got gparted running.

This time, so I do not risk doing any damage, I am asking for help before I start. How can I begin to correct this issue, and is there anything else I should check on please?

Please note, I am also experiencing this issue: 18.04: Install RELEASE icon visible in launcher after install? (https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2409235)

Impavidus
December 30th, 2018, 11:59 AM
I don't think gparted is supposed to be installed by default, except on the live disk. Your output suggests that the package manager thinks gparted is installed, but the executable is not present at the location where it's supposed to be, which would be somewhere in your PATH.

Try reinstalling gparted:
sudo apt install --reinstall gpartedIt may have been damaged somehow, although it would be nice to know how.

Dáire Fagan
December 30th, 2018, 12:47 PM
I don't think gparted is supposed to be installed by default, except on the live disk. Your output suggests that the package manager thinks gparted is installed, but the executable is not present at the location where it's supposed to be, which would be somewhere in your PATH.

Try reinstalling gparted:
sudo apt install --reinstall gpartedIt may have been damaged somehow, although it would be nice to know how.

Thanks for the input.

dusf@contraption:~$ sudo apt install --reinstall gparted
Building dependency tree
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 reinstalled, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 462 kB of archives.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://ie.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic/main amd64 gparted amd64 0.30.0-3ubuntu1 [462 kB]
Fetched 462 kB in 0s (1,674 kB/s)
(Reading database ... 186605 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../gparted_0.30.0-3ubuntu1_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking gparted (0.30.0-3ubuntu1) over (0.30.0-3ubuntu1) ...
Processing triggers for mime-support (3.60ubuntu1) ...
Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils (0.23-1ubuntu3.18.04.2) ...
Processing triggers for man-db (2.8.3-2ubuntu0.1) ...
Processing triggers for gnome-menus (3.13.3-11ubuntu1.1) ...
Setting up gparted (0.30.0-3ubuntu1) ...
Processing triggers for hicolor-icon-theme (0.17-2) ...

If I then press the superkey and search for GParted it is found, but after I select it and it asks for my password nothing happens. Not a bad password issue, as when I purposely input a bad pass Ubuntu flags this with me.

Next I tried running from terminal:

Unit -.mount does not exist, proceeding anyway.
/usr/sbin/gpartedbin: error while loading shared libraries: libgtkmm-2.4.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Is there something else we can try?

/usr/sbin/gpartedbin: error while loading shared libraries: libgtkmm-2.4.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

When I received this error yesterday (before reinstalling Ubuntu), I searched online and read that I could try installing the missing library. Every install led to a new missing library, and eventually I found I could not install what was missing.

That said, in this thread someone experiencing the same issue did manage to get GParted running by reinstalling libraries, apart from one error: gparted fails to start (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gtkmm2.4/+bug/1777650)

In case GParted is just the only package I have encountered with an issue, perhaps a wider solution is warranted, using commands like:

sudo apt-get update --fix-missing
sudo apt-get install -f
sudo dpkg --configure -a

as outlined in this article: How to Fix Broken Packages on Ubuntu 16.04 and Debian 9 (https://www.rosehosting.com/blog/how-to-fix-broken-packages-on-ubuntu-16-04-and-debian-9/)

I would like if someone with more experience than I could point me in the right direction..

yancek
December 30th, 2018, 02:46 PM
Have you tried running gparted with root permissions the way it was meant to be run? Same results?

sudo gparted

Dáire Fagan
December 30th, 2018, 05:30 PM
Have you tried running gparted with root permissions the way it was meant to be run? Same results?

sudo gparted

dusf@contraption:~$ sudo gparted[sudo] password for dusf:

mc4man
December 30th, 2018, 05:59 PM
I have a fresh install of 18.04, no issue installing & opening gparted. This is the Ubuntu version. Are you installing some other flavor?
What does this show

ls -la /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/ |grep libgtkmm

Dáire Fagan
December 31st, 2018, 12:13 AM
I have a fresh install of 18.04, no issue installing & opening gparted. This is the Ubuntu version. Are you installing some other flavor?
What does this show

ls -la /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/ |grep libgtkmm

Thanks for the input, mc4man.

I just now copied and pasted that command into termianl, and also tried with a space between the pipe and grep, but either way, there was no output?

I installed Ubuntu 18.04, but followed the guide linked in my OP to configure custom encryption, LUKS on LVM - please note, others have also followed and tested the guide with 18.04 and not encountered the same issue.

oldfred
December 31st, 2018, 05:55 AM
Why do you want gparted?
You cannot use it on mounted partitions, or your install.

I do install it just to modify my sdb drive or flash drives, but have to use another install on sdb or a flash drive to edit main working install on sda.
I have several installs of Ubuntu and have had no issues installing gparted.

And if you have LVM, you cannot use gparted to edit LVM, the volumes on your drive. Normally LVM takes entire drive, except for an ESP if UEFI and a /boot. And those cannot be resized easily as LVM takes of rest of drive.

Dáire Fagan
December 31st, 2018, 10:08 AM
Why do you want gparted?
You cannot use it on mounted partitions, or your install.

Hi oldfred, my oldfriend.

This is more about making sure everything is working after following and using the scripts from the ManualFullSystemEncryption guide.

After I booted, I wanted to view my partitions in a graphical format, so I quickly tried to open GParted.

I do install it just to modify my sdb drive or flash drives, but have to use another install on sdb or a flash drive to edit main working install on sda.
I have several installs of Ubuntu and have had no issues installing gparted.

And if you have LVM, you cannot use gparted to edit LVM, the volumes on your drive. Normally LVM takes entire drive, except for an ESP if UEFI and a /boot. And those cannot be resized easily as LVM takes of rest of drive.

I get that, it is just disconcerting that it does not work after installing, and I would like to correct the underlying issue if I can.

I have not noticed anything else not working, or other libraries missing, but I would very much like if there was some way to check this, and if the checking also fixed the issue with GParted, all the better. Perhaps there is some way to re-install / check on all essential or core software - without a complete Ubuntu reinstall and re-encryption?

What do you think about what I mentioned in one of my previous posts below?

That said, in this thread someone experiencing the same issue did manage to get GParted running by reinstalling libraries, apart from one error: gparted fails to start (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gtkmm2.4/+bug/1777650)

In case GParted is just the only package I have encountered with an issue, perhaps a wider solution is warranted, using commands like:

sudo apt-get update --fix-missing
sudo apt-get install -f
sudo dpkg --configure -a

as outlined in this article: How to Fix Broken Packages on Ubuntu 16.04 and Debian 9 (https://www.rosehosting.com/blog/how-to-fix-broken-packages-on-ubuntu-16-04-and-debian-9/)

mc4man
December 31st, 2018, 02:43 PM
I installed Ubuntu 18.04, but followed the guide linked in my OP to configure custom encryption, LUKS on LVM - please note, others have also followed and tested the guide with 18.04 and not encountered the same issue.
Hmm, sorry I missed that little nugget, clearly at the root of your issue. Have no experience with such myself.
You did ck. to see if libgtkmm-2.4-1v5 was installed?

apt-cache policy libgtkmm-2.4-1v5
If it is run this to see what & where,

dpkg-query -L libgtkmm-2.4-1v5

Dáire Fagan
December 31st, 2018, 03:57 PM
Hmm, sorry I missed that little nugget, clearly at the root of your issue. Have no experience with such myself.

No problem! ;)

You did ck. to see if libgtkmm-2.4-1v5 was installed?

apt-cache policy libgtkmm-2.4-1v5

dusf@contraption:~$ apt-cache policy libgtkmm-2.4-1v5
libgtkmm-2.4-1v5:
Installed: 1:2.24.5-2
Candidate: 1:2.24.5-2
Version table:
*** 1:2.24.5-2 500
500 http://ie.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic/main amd64 Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

If it is run this to see what & where,

dpkg-query -L libgtkmm-2.4-1v5

dusf@contraption:~$ dpkg-query -L libgtkmm-2.4-1v5
/.
/usr
/usr/lib
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgdkmm-2.4.so.1.1.0
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgtkmm-2.4.so.1.1.0
/usr/share
/usr/share/doc
/usr/share/doc/libgtkmm-2.4-1v5
/usr/share/doc/libgtkmm-2.4-1v5/AUTHORS
/usr/share/doc/libgtkmm-2.4-1v5/NEWS.gz
/usr/share/doc/libgtkmm-2.4-1v5/README
/usr/share/doc/libgtkmm-2.4-1v5/changelog.Debian.gz
/usr/share/doc/libgtkmm-2.4-1v5/copyright
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgdkmm-2.4.so.1
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgtkmm-2.4.so.1

1fallen
December 31st, 2018, 04:04 PM
Sorry for the Drive-by but try:

sudo apt install --reinstall libgtkmm-2.4-1v5 libatkmm-1.6-1v5 libpangomm-1.4-1v5 libglibmm-2.4-1v5 libsigc++-2.0-0v5 libcairomm-1.0-1v5
Fingers Crossed, and now try to run gparted.

Dáire Fagan
December 31st, 2018, 04:16 PM
Sorry for the Drive-by but try:

sudo apt install --reinstall libgtkmm-2.4-1v5 libatkmm-1.6-1v5 libpangomm-1.4-1v5 libglibmm-2.4-1v5 libsigc++-2.0-0v5 libcairomm-1.0-1v5
Fingers Crossed, and now try to run gparted.

Gtk-Message: 15:08:44.349: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
======================
libparted : 3.2
======================

and GParted opened!

Are the errors about -.mount and canberra-gtk-module normal? Someone else who experienced the issue, in the bug report I linked, had the latter also but did not mention resolving it.

1fallen
December 31st, 2018, 04:35 PM
Well I don't know if i would call it normal but yes it is a common warning.

me on Mon Dec 31 at 10:10 AM in ~ branch: (HEAD)
>> gparted
======================
======================

yancek
December 31st, 2018, 07:34 PM
dusf@contraption:~$ gpartedUnit -.mount does not exist, proceeding anyway.

What exactly is the "Unit" thing doing there? Did you actually type that? If you open a terminal and run: sudo gparted I expect you would see the second message as below, I see that every time I open GParted and have no problems using it. Don't really know what it means?

Gtk-Message: 11:28:51.483: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
======================
======================

1fallen
December 31st, 2018, 08:52 PM
What exactly is the "Unit" thing doing there? Did you actually type that? If you open a terminal and run: sudo gparted I expect you would see the second message as below, I see that every time I open GParted and have no problems using it. Don't really know what it means?
+1 Now that you mention it >>> it is perplexing: Almost as if it lost instructions for the mapper.
Would like to see his output for this: (Might be Safer)

sudo parted /dev/sda unit s print
[sudo] password for me:
Model: ATA TOSHIBA MK5065GS (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 976773168s
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos
Disk Flags:

Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
1 2049s 958313125s 958311077s primary ext4
2 958313126s 976768064s 18454939s primary linux-swap(v1)

And after reading this

OP to configure custom encryption, LUKS on LVM - please note, others have also followed and tested the guide with 18.04 and not encountered the same issue.
i have to side with mc4man>>>leaning towards the root of the problem.
I could be wrong here "in this case though", but i think it would be possible to set it to it's proper path though.....Important it may not be me that can do it though, ;)

ajgreeny
December 31st, 2018, 09:06 PM

sudo gparted
Please do not suggest that users should use sudo with graphical applications such as gparted.

That is one way to cause ownership problems with your home files and folders which can sometimes change to being owned by root.
The result of that can be a total inability to login as that user.

If you really wish to continue using the sudo suffix please use sudo -H instead of just sudo to avoid the potential home file/folder ownership problem.

jeremy31
December 31st, 2018, 09:27 PM
Actually in 18.04, you can use
pkexec gparted
But it complains a little
pkexec gparted
======================
======================

1fallen
December 31st, 2018, 10:17 PM
pkexec gparted
But it complains a little
pkexec gparted
======================
======================

Thanks for confirming jeremy31, I first thought his was a formatting thing: in his tag:

$ gpartedUnit -.mount does not exist, proceeding anyway.
Gtk-Message: 15:08:44.349: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"

mc4man
December 31st, 2018, 11:48 PM
No problem! ;)

dusf@contraption:~$ apt-cache policy libgtkmm-2.4-1v5
libgtkmm-2.4-1v5:
Installed: 1:2.24.5-2
Candidate: 1:2.24.5-2
Version table:
*** 1:2.24.5-2 500
500 http://ie.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic/main amd64 Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

dusf@contraption:~$ dpkg-query -L libgtkmm-2.4-1v5
/.
/usr
/usr/lib
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgdkmm-2.4.so.1.1.0
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgtkmm-2.4.so.1.1.0
/usr/share
/usr/share/doc
/usr/share/doc/libgtkmm-2.4-1v5
/usr/share/doc/libgtkmm-2.4-1v5/AUTHORS
/usr/share/doc/libgtkmm-2.4-1v5/NEWS.gz
/usr/share/doc/libgtkmm-2.4-1v5/README
/usr/share/doc/libgtkmm-2.4-1v5/changelog.Debian.gz
/usr/share/doc/libgtkmm-2.4-1v5/copyright
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgdkmm-2.4.so.1
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgtkmm-2.4.so.1

Well everything is in place for gparted to run.
You said "ls -la /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/ |grep libgtkmm" produced no results. If true & considering the libs were/are installed there as seen above then something is out of whack with the way you installed your "ManualFullSystemEncryption" or gparted can't access an encrypted location..
(- can you browse to that location to confirm their existence?

Seeing as how "complex"/convoluted the method is I wouldn't be trying out to see what issues arise. If you know others have done the same with no issue with gparted then maybe try again.

(- while likely no value try

sudo apt purge gparted
sudo apt autoremove (read thru before y
sudo apt install gparted

Dáire Fagan
January 1st, 2019, 11:03 AM
Well I don't know if i would call it normal but yes it is a common warning.

One error resolved:

dusf@contraption:~$ sudo apt install libcanberra-gtk-module libcanberra-gtk3-module

dusf@contraption:~$ sudo -H gparted
======================
======================

Sorry no, that was just bad formatting on my part, which I have now corrected.

So I have searched for it, and found the following so far unanswered thread - created 18 hours ago no less, where someone else experienced the same issue after following the ManualFullSystemEncryption guide, although using Xubuntu.

Unit -.mount mount does not exist, proceeding anyway
(https://askubuntu.com/questions/1105783/unit-mount-mount-does-not-exist-proceeding-anyway)
Also, this seems to be a known bug with GParted, which has been reported. Something to do with Wayland and my GTX 970. On my last few installs of Ubuntu, 18.10 normal installation (not using ManualFullSystemEncryption) and 18.04, I have had to install lightdm to access a greeter at login, because gdm3 does not work for me even with uncommenting WaylandEnable=false in /etc/gdm3/custom.conf - not sure if this means I should not be affected or not.

gparted does not start - Unit -.mount does not exist, proceeding anyway. (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gparted/+bug/1744372)

Many of the search results include complaints of GParted not starting.

+1 Now that you mention it >>> it is perplexing: Almost as if it lost instructions for the mapper.
Would like to see his output for this: (Might be Safer)

sudo parted /dev/sda unit s print

dusf@contraption:~$ sudo parted /dev/sda unit s printModel: ATA Samsung SSD 840 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 488397168s
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: gpt
Disk Flags:

Number Start End Size File system Name Flags
1 2048s 1230562s 1228515s fat32 EFI system partition boot, esp
2 1230848s 1263615s 32768s Microsoft reserved partition msftres
3 1263616s 210978815s 209715200s ntfs Basic data partition msftdata
4 210978816s 211900415s 921600s ntfs Basic data partition diag
5 211900416s 342878207s 130977792s system
6 342878208s 488396799s 145518592s data

I could be wrong here "in this case though", but i think it would be possible to set it to it's proper path though.....Important it may not be me that can do it though,

Even if you do not know how to do it, could you explain this for me please?

If you really wish to continue using the sudo suffix please use sudo -H instead of just sudo to avoid the potential home file/folder ownership problem.

pkexec gparted

Both noted, thanks.

======================
======================

Seems to be rather common!

Well everything is in place for gparted to run.
You said "ls -la /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/ |grep libgtkmm" produced no results.

(- can you browse to that location to confirm their existence?

Is below enough confirmation?

dusf@contraption:~$ ls -la /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/ | grep libgtkmm
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 21 Dec 18 2017 libgtkmm-2.4.so.1 -> libgtkmm-2.4.so.1.1.0
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4261512 Dec 18 2017 libgtkmm-2.4.so.1.1.0

sudo apt purge gparted
sudo apt autoremove (read thru before y
sudo apt install gparted

dusf@contraption:~$ sudo apt purge gparted
Building dependency tree
The following packages will be REMOVED:
gparted*
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
After this operation, 2,138 kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
(Reading database ... 199668 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing gparted (0.30.0-3ubuntu1) ...
dusf@contraption:~$ sudo apt autoremove
Building dependency tree
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
dusf@contraption:~$ sudo apt install gparted
Building dependency tree
Suggested packages:
reiser4progs gpart
The following NEW packages will be installed:
gparted
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
Need to get 462 kB of archives.
After this operation, 2,138 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://ie.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic/main amd64 gparted amd64 0.30.0-3ubuntu1 [462 kB]
Fetched 462 kB in 0s (1,677 kB/s)
Selecting previously unselected package gparted.
(Reading database ... 199564 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../gparted_0.30.0-3ubuntu1_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking gparted (0.30.0-3ubuntu1) ...
Setting up gparted (0.30.0-3ubuntu1) ...
======================
======================

i have to side with mc4man>>>leaning towards the root of the problem.

If true & considering the libs were/are installed there as seen above then something is out of whack with the way you installed your "ManualFullSystemEncryption" or gparted can't access an encrypted location..

Seeing as how "complex"/convoluted the method is I wouldn't be trying out to see what issues arise. If you know others have done the same with no issue with gparted then maybe try again.

So this is my second ManualFullSystemEncryption install, the first was on 18.10 which the guide is untested on, and I experienced the same GParted error. Considering now on a second install, I had the same issues, I do not think following the guide a third time would make a difference. Also, the fact that when searching for the issues showed others experiencing them, at least one who did follow the same guide though I expect the overwhelmingly vast majority did not, perhaps this suggests following the guide did not cause this?

Honestly, I am reinstalling my system the last few days, and Ubuntu is just one part, if there is anyway I can get it working as is, I would like to.

If the concern is that libraries or other packages are not installed properly, perhaps there is some way from the command line I can check all of them and/or reinstall all essential software - without a complete reinstall?

Dáire Fagan
January 1st, 2019, 04:48 PM
In an attempt to see if there is anything else not installed correctly or missing, I have completed the following:

sudo apt-get install debsums
sudo debsums_init
sudo debsums -sc |& tee

Output for this below, there is a lot. I am not familiar with this command, are all of those files really missing from my install? Can someone else please run the commands above and see if similar... or even no output?

https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/ymzps6gJy9/

Also input:

dusf@contraption:~$ sudo apt-get update
Hit:1 http://ppa.launchpad.net/deluge-team/ppa/ubuntu bionic InRelease
Hit:2 http://ie.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic InRelease
Get:3 http://ie.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-updates InRelease [88.7 kB]
Hit:4 http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc/ppa/ubuntu bionic InRelease
Ign:5 http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb stable InRelease
Hit:6 http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb stable Release
Get:7 http://ie.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-backports InRelease [74.6 kB]
Get:8 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-security InRelease [83.2 kB]
Fetched 247 kB in 1s (286 kB/s)

dusf@contraption:~$ sudo apt-get clean

dusf@contraption:~$ sudo apt-get -f install
Building dependency tree

dusf@contraption:~$ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Building dependency tree
Calculating upgrade... Done

mc4man
January 1st, 2019, 06:02 PM
======================
======================
No more missing error, so what's the current issue. Does the gparted window not appear?
If so, open 2 terminals, in 1st run gparted, leave terminal open.
In 2nd run this to see if it's running

ps aux |grep gparted |grep -v grep

1fallen
January 1st, 2019, 06:08 PM
This seems to be isolated to Ubuntu/Debian systems.(Well these are the only 2 systems i test)
I have 3 Arch linux installed, (All different DE's), and see no errors or warnings there.
But all ubuntus show the same: "$ gparted
Unit -.mount does not exist, proceeding anyway." and/or "Gtk-Message: 11:28:51.483: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
"
But GParted dose work in all "my" cases. (Important to know I have no wayland sessions installed)

apt policy gparted && lsb_release -a
gparted:
Installed: 0.30.0-3ubuntu1
Candidate: 0.30.0-3ubuntu1
Version table:
*** 0.30.0-3ubuntu1 500
500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic/main amd64 Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS
Release: 18.04
Codename: bionic
me@me-750-417c:~$ gparted
======================
======================

So best advice I can offer is >> If you wish to use GParted run it from live media,
This will have to be fixed by the packager not us. (We areJust Volunteers)
To see all gparted uses as depends:

apt-rdepends gparted
Building dependency tree
gparted
Depends: libatkmm-1.6-1v5 (>= 2.24.0)
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.14)
Depends: libgcc1 (>= 1:3.0)
Depends: libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.16.0)
Depends: libglibmm-2.4-1v5 (>= 2.54.0)
Depends: libgtk2.0-0 (>= 2.14.0)
Depends: libgtkmm-2.4-1v5 (>= 1:2.24.0)
Depends: libpangomm-1.4-1v5 (>= 2.40.0)
Depends: libparted-fs-resize0 (>= 3.1)
Depends: libparted2 (>= 3.1)
Depends: libsigc++-2.0-0v5 (>= 2.8.0)
Depends: libstdc++6 (>= 5.2)
Depends: libuuid1 (>= 2.16)
libatkmm-1.6-1v5
Depends: libatk1.0-0 (>= 2.12.0)
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.4)
Depends: libsigc++-2.0-0v5 (>= 2.2.0)
Depends: libstdc++6 (>= 5)
libatk1.0-0
Depends: libatk1.0-data (>= 2.28.1-1)
Depends: libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.55.2)
libatk1.0-data
libc6
Depends: libgcc1
libgcc1
Depends: gcc-8-base (= 8.2.0-1ubuntu2~18.04)
gcc-8-base
libglib2.0-0
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.17)
Depends: libffi6 (>= 3.0.4)
Depends: libmount1 (>= 2.19.1)
Depends: libpcre3
Depends: libselinux1 (>= 1.32)
Depends: zlib1g (>= 1:1.2.2)
libffi6
libmount1
Depends: libblkid1 (>= 2.17.2)
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.25)
Depends: libselinux1 (>= 2.6-3~)
libblkid1
libuuid1
libselinux1
Depends: libpcre3
libpcre3
zlib1g
libglibmm-2.4-1v5
Depends: libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.55.1)
Depends: libsigc++-2.0-0v5 (>= 2.8.0)
libsigc++-2.0-0v5
Depends: libstdc++6 (>= 5)
libstdc++6
Depends: gcc-8-base (= 8.2.0-1ubuntu2~18.04)
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.18)
Depends: libgcc1 (>= 1:4.2)
libgtk2.0-0
Depends: adwaita-icon-theme
Depends: gnome-icon-theme
Depends: hicolor-icon-theme
Depends: libatk1.0-0 (>= 1.32.0)
Depends: libcairo2 (>= 1.6.4-6.1)
Depends: libcups2 (>= 1.6.2)
Depends: libfontconfig1 (>= 2.12)
Depends: libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0 (>= 2.22.0)
Depends: libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.41.1)
Depends: libgtk2.0-common
Depends: libpango-1.0-0 (>= 1.28.3)
Depends: libpangocairo-1.0-0 (>= 1.28.3)
Depends: libpangoft2-1.0-0 (>= 1.28.3)
Depends: libx11-6 (>= 2:1.4.99.1)
Depends: libxcomposite1 (>= 1:0.3-1)
Depends: libxcursor1 (>> 1.1.2)
Depends: libxdamage1 (>= 1:1.1)
Depends: libxext6
Depends: libxfixes3
Depends: libxi6
Depends: libxinerama1
Depends: libxrandr2 (>= 2:1.5.0)
Depends: libxrender1
Depends: shared-mime-info
adwaita-icon-theme
Depends: adwaita-icon-theme-full
Depends: gtk-update-icon-cache
Depends: librsvg2-common
Depends: ubuntu-mono
adwaita-icon-theme-full
Depends: adwaita-icon-theme (= 3.28.0-1ubuntu1)
gtk-update-icon-cache
Depends: libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.55.2)
libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0
Depends: libgdk-pixbuf2.0-common (= 2.36.11-2)
Depends: libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.48.0)
Depends: libjpeg8 (>= 8c)
Depends: libpng16-16 (>= 1.6.2-1)
Depends: libtiff5 (>= 4.0.3)
Depends: libx11-6
Depends: shared-mime-info
libgdk-pixbuf2.0-common
libjpeg8
Depends: libjpeg-turbo8 (>= 1.1.90+svn722-1ubuntu6)
libjpeg-turbo8
PreDepends: multiarch-support
multiarch-support
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.6-2)
libpng16-16
Depends: zlib1g (>= 1:1.2.11)
libtiff5
Depends: libjbig0 (>= 2.0)
Depends: libjpeg8 (>= 8c)
Depends: liblzma5 (>= 5.1.1alpha+20120614)
Depends: zlib1g (>= 1:1.1.4)
libjbig0
liblzma5
libx11-6
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.15)
Depends: libx11-data
Depends: libxcb1 (>= 1.11.1)
libx11-data
libxcb1
Depends: libxau6
Depends: libxdmcp6
libxau6
libxdmcp6
Depends: libbsd0 (>= 0.2.0)
libbsd0
shared-mime-info
Depends: libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.35.9)
Depends: libxml2 (>= 2.7.4)
libxml2
Depends: libicu60 (>= 60.1-1~)
Depends: liblzma5 (>= 5.1.1alpha+20120614)
Depends: zlib1g (>= 1:1.2.3.3)
libicu60
librsvg2-common
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.2.5)
Depends: libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.24.0)
Depends: librsvg2-2 (= 2.40.20-2)
librsvg2-2
Depends: libcairo2 (>= 1.10.0)
Depends: libcroco3 (>= 0.6.2)
Depends: libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.37.3)
Depends: libpango-1.0-0 (>= 1.36.0)
Depends: libpangocairo-1.0-0 (>= 1.36.0)
Depends: libpangoft2-1.0-0 (>= 1.37.2)
Depends: libxml2 (>= 2.8.0)
libcairo2
Depends: libfreetype6 (>= 2.7.1)
Depends: libpixman-1-0 (>= 0.30.0)
Depends: libx11-6
Depends: libxcb-render0
Depends: libxcb-shm0
Depends: libxcb1 (>= 1.6)
libfontconfig1
Depends: fontconfig-config (>= 2.12.6-0ubuntu2.3)
Depends: libexpat1 (>= 2.0.1)
Depends: libfreetype6 (>= 2.2.1)
fontconfig-config
Depends: fonts-dejavu-core
Depends: fonts-freefont
Depends: fonts-liberation
Depends: ttf-bitstream-vera
Depends: ucf (>= 0.29)
fonts-dejavu-core
fonts-freefont
fonts-liberation
ttf-bitstream-vera
ucf
Depends: coreutils (>= 5.91)
Depends: debconf (>= 1.5.19)
Depends: sensible-utils
coreutils
PreDepends: libacl1 (>= 2.2.51-8)
PreDepends: libattr1 (>= 1:2.4.46-8)
PreDepends: libc6 (>= 2.25)
PreDepends: libselinux1 (>= 2.1.13)
libacl1
Depends: libattr1 (>= 1:2.4.46-8)
libattr1
debconf
PreDepends: perl-base (>= 5.20.1-3~)
perl-base
PreDepends: dpkg (>= 1.17.17)
PreDepends: libc6 (>= 2.23)
dpkg
Depends: tar (>= 1.28-1)
PreDepends: libbz2-1.0
PreDepends: libc6 (>= 2.14)
PreDepends: liblzma5 (>= 5.2.2)
PreDepends: libselinux1 (>= 2.3)
PreDepends: libzstd1 (>= 1.3.2)
PreDepends: zlib1g (>= 1:1.1.4)
tar
PreDepends: libacl1 (>= 2.2.51-8)
PreDepends: libc6 (>= 2.17)
PreDepends: libselinux1 (>= 1.32)
libbz2-1.0
libzstd1
sensible-utils
libexpat1
libfreetype6
libpixman-1-0
libxcb-render0
Depends: libxcb1 (>= 1.8)
libxcb-shm0
Depends: libxcb1 (>= 1.12)
libxext6
Depends: libx11-6 (>= 2:1.6.0)
libxrender1
libcroco3
Depends: libxml2 (>= 2.7.4)
libpango-1.0-0
Depends: fontconfig (>= 2.1.91)
Depends: libthai0 (>= 0.1.22-3~)
fontconfig
Depends: fontconfig-config
PreDepends: dpkg (>= 1.16.1)
libthai0
Depends: libdatrie1 (>= 0.2.0)
Depends: libthai-data (>= 0.1.10)
libdatrie1
libthai-data
libpangocairo-1.0-0
Depends: libcairo2 (>= 1.12.10)
Depends: libpango-1.0-0 (>= 1.37.5)
Depends: libpangoft2-1.0-0 (>= 1.28.1)
libpangoft2-1.0-0
Depends: libfreetype6 (>= 2.3.5)
Depends: libharfbuzz0b (>= 1.2.6)
Depends: libpango-1.0-0 (>= 1.37.2)
libharfbuzz0b
Depends: libfreetype6 (>= 2.7.1)
Depends: libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.31.8)
Depends: libgraphite2-3 (>= 1.2.2)
libgraphite2-3
hicolor-icon-theme
ubuntu-mono
Depends: humanity-icon-theme
humanity-icon-theme
gnome-icon-theme
libcups2
Depends: libavahi-client3 (>= 0.6.16)
Depends: libavahi-common3 (>= 0.6.16)
Depends: libgnutls30 (>= 3.5.6)
Depends: libgssapi-krb5-2 (>= 1.14+dfsg)
Depends: zlib1g (>= 1:1.2.0)
libavahi-client3
Depends: libavahi-common3 (>= 0.6.22)
Depends: libdbus-1-3 (>= 1.9.14)
libavahi-common3
Depends: libavahi-common-data
libavahi-common-data
libdbus-1-3
Depends: libsystemd0
libsystemd0
PreDepends: libc6 (>= 2.27)
PreDepends: libgcrypt20 (>= 1.8.0)
PreDepends: liblz4-1 (>= 0.0~r113)
PreDepends: liblzma5 (>= 5.1.1alpha+20120614)
libgcrypt20
Depends: libgpg-error0 (>= 1.25)
libgpg-error0
liblz4-1
libgnutls30
Depends: libgmp10 (>= 2:6)
Depends: libhogweed4
Depends: libidn2-0 (>= 0.6)
Depends: libnettle6
Depends: libp11-kit0 (>= 0.23.1)
Depends: libtasn1-6 (>= 4.12)
Depends: libunistring2 (>= 0.9.7)
libgmp10
libhogweed4
Depends: libgmp10 (>= 2:6.0.0)
Depends: libnettle6 (= 3.4-1)
libnettle6
libidn2-0
Depends: libunistring2 (>= 0.9.7)
libunistring2
libp11-kit0
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.26)
Depends: libffi6 (>= 3.0.4)
libtasn1-6
libgssapi-krb5-2
Depends: libcomerr2 (>= 1.34)
Depends: libk5crypto3 (>= 1.16)
Depends: libkrb5-3 (= 1.16-2build1)
Depends: libkrb5support0 (>= 1.15~beta1)
libcomerr2
Depends: libcom-err2
libcom-err2
libk5crypto3
Depends: libkrb5support0 (>= 1.16)
libkrb5support0
libkrb5-3
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.16)
Depends: libcomerr2 (>= 1.34)
Depends: libk5crypto3 (>= 1.15~beta1)
Depends: libkeyutils1 (>= 1.5.9)
Depends: libkrb5support0 (= 1.16-2build1)
libkeyutils1
libgtk2.0-common
libxcomposite1
libxcursor1
Depends: libxfixes3
libxfixes3
libxdamage1
libxi6
libxinerama1
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.2.5)
libxrandr2
libgtkmm-2.4-1v5
Depends: libatkmm-1.6-1v5 (>= 2.24.0)
Depends: libcairomm-1.0-1v5 (>= 1.12.0)
Depends: libgtk2.0-0 (>= 2.24.0)
Depends: libpangomm-1.4-1v5 (>= 2.40.0)
Depends: libsigc++-2.0-0v5 (>= 2.6.1)
libcairomm-1.0-1v5
Depends: libcairo2 (>= 1.12.0)
libpangomm-1.4-1v5
Depends: libcairomm-1.0-1v5 (>= 1.12.0)
Depends: libpango-1.0-0 (>= 1.38.0)
Depends: libpangocairo-1.0-0 (>= 1.38.0)
libparted-fs-resize0
Depends: libparted2 (= 3.2-20ubuntu0.1)
libparted2
Depends: libblkid1 (>= 2.17.2)
Depends: libdevmapper1.02.1 (>= 2:1.02.97)
libdevmapper1.02.1
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.22)
Depends: libselinux1 (>= 1.32)
Depends: libudev1 (>= 183)
libudev1

I would suggest that you just wait for a fix by the packages managers for Gparted.

Dáire Fagan
January 1st, 2019, 06:17 PM
======================
======================
No more missing error, so what's the current issue. Does the gparted window not appear?
If so, open 2 terminals, in 1st run gparted, leave terminal open.
In 2nd run this to see if it's running

ps aux |grep gparted |grep -v grep

GParted does open now mc4man, many thanks to you and everyone else who contributed to this thread.

My only concern now, is that due to the strange behaviour I experienced with GParted, perhaps something else is missing from my system / in the wrong place etc - I would like to confirm or negate this if possible before I start to make the system my own again - and that having to reinstall is off the table - before doing things like importing my eclipse workspace, syncing to the cloud with Insync, and install all of the other software I use.

Perhaps with one of the options from the thread below?

How do I reinstall the software packages that came with Ubuntu 18.04? (https://askubuntu.com/questions/1087267/how-do-i-reinstall-the-software-packages-that-came-with-ubuntu-18-04)

Installing the ubuntu-desktop package ought to pull the default packages.

sudo apt install ubuntu-desktop

The default set of packages for 18.04 is listed in http://releases.ubuntu.com/18.04/ubuntu-18.04.1-desktop-amd64.manifest (for later releases, just go up to https://releases.ubuntu.com and navigate to the correct release/architecture for your situation).

You can obtain the package names only from this textfile via the following command:

curl http://releases.ubuntu.com/18.04/ubuntu-18.04.1-desktop-amd64.manifest | sed -e 's#\t.*##g'

Therefore, you should be able to install those packages by passing the output of that command to apt install:

# Ubuntu 18.04.1

sudo apt install $( curl http://releases.ubuntu.com/18.04/ubuntu-18.04.1-desktop-amd64.manifest | sed -e 's#\t.*##g' )

If you're using another version or architecture (arch=amd64 in the above commands), you'll need to modify your command accordingly.

mc4man
January 1st, 2019, 07:03 PM
You could try removing then installing ubuntu-desktop package.

I'd think this may be confined to gparted..
In a regular install gparted is on the install image & available to run in the live session. However gparted & any deps solely installed for gparted are not included in the actual install.
So normally on a fresh Ubuntu install gparted and a few deps would have to be installed later.
It seems your method did not do this.. it left gparted in some fashion installed.

Dáire Fagan
January 2nd, 2019, 05:01 PM
You could try removing then installing ubuntu-desktop package.

I'd think this may be confined to gparted..
In a regular install gparted is on the install image & available to run in the live session. However gparted & any deps solely installed for gparted are not included in the actual install.
So normally on a fresh Ubuntu install gparted and a few deps would have to be installed later.
It seems your method did not do this.. it left gparted in some fashion installed.

Done, marking this thread as resolved.

Thanks again to you mc4man, and everyone else who contributed to this thread. =d>