PDA

View Full Version : Breezy Badger or Grumpy Groundhog??

lao_V
April 5th, 2005, 04:31 PM
What is the next Ubuntu release (5.10) to be? As per the Ubuntu website (http://www.ubuntulinux.org/ubuntu/releases/), its Grumpy Groundhog but according to Mark Shuttleworth's interview on slashdot (http://interviews.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/04/04/1859255), its Breezy Badger!

Which is it going to be? Any clarification?

ubuntu-geek
April 5th, 2005, 04:55 PM
What is the next Ubuntu release (5.10) to be? As per the Ubuntu website (http://www.ubuntulinux.org/ubuntu/releases/), its Grumpy Groundhog but according to Mark Shuttleworth's interview on slashdot (http://interviews.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/04/04/1859255), its Breezy Badger!

Which is it going to be? Any clarification?
The next stable release in October 2005, will be Breezy Badger. :)

lao_V
April 5th, 2005, 05:07 PM
Maybe the website needs updating then? ;-)

Quite like Grumpy Groundhog, hope it would still be on the list!!

im_ka
April 5th, 2005, 05:20 PM
any idea when the breezy repos will open? :)

lao_V
April 5th, 2005, 05:24 PM

Give the guys some break..they need to party and get hammered after working so hard!! :-)

Normally there is a break for 3-4 weeks before work starts on the next release so you're probably looking at few more weeks/end of april??

oddabe19
April 5th, 2005, 05:27 PM
my guess is when hoary is officially released, it'll be this weekend probably.

HungSquirrel
April 5th, 2005, 06:05 PM
Maybe the website needs updating then? ;-)

Quite like Grumpy Groundhog, hope it would still be on the list!!
I heard somewhere that Grumpy will be the generic name for the development branch, whatever the branch may be. Following that, now 'Grumpy' is Hoary, and in a few weeks it will be Breezy, etc.

MaZiNgA
April 5th, 2005, 06:44 PM
I heard somewhere that Grumpy will be the generic name for the development branch, whatever the branch may be. Following that, now 'Grumpy' is Hoary, and in a few weeks it will be Breezy, etc.
Oh no I cant get in this "game name" again!!!
Nooooooooooooo!

Gone are the days you'd name your product: Ubuntu 1,2,3...etc.....:(

poofyhairguy
April 5th, 2005, 08:18 PM

So Grumpy is our Sid eh? Sounds confusing.

TravisNewman
April 6th, 2005, 12:10 AM
So Grumpy is our Sid eh? Sounds confusing.
Grumpy is our Sid. Yes. Grumpy will always be grumpy, since it will never be released.

HungSquirrel
April 6th, 2005, 12:23 AM
Fixed:

Grumpy is our Sid since it will never be released.

*drumroll & cymbal*

TravisNewman
April 6th, 2005, 12:25 AM
Fixed:

*drumroll & cymbal*
Come on now. I was explaining for people who may not know what Sid means.

SamH
April 6th, 2005, 12:25 AM
I guess this is off topic, but are these names coming from some book or movie or some such? Like the Debian names all coming from Toy Story. I'm new (four days) to Ubuntu and so far in what I've read there has been no reference to the origin of the names.

Thanks.

jdong
April 6th, 2005, 12:46 AM
Various hogs, rodents, etc. :)

HungSquirrel
April 6th, 2005, 12:51 AM
Come on now. I was explaining for people who may not know what Sid means.
I think I was confused. Nevermind!

Glanz
April 6th, 2005, 01:05 AM
I would like the name to be Benevolent Beaver in honor of Canada, which had nothing much to do with Ubuntu development...

HungSquirrel
April 6th, 2005, 01:10 AM
I would like the name to be Benevolent Beaver in honor of Canada, which had nothing much to do with Ubuntu development...
OpenSSH & OpenSSL, two of the most important pieces of software ever IMO, were developed in Canada due to the lack of Canadian bans on exporting cryptography. An SSH client is uncluded in the Ubuntu install, and you can apt-get the server. :)

Glanz
April 6th, 2005, 01:53 AM
OpenSSH & OpenSSL, two of the most important pieces of software ever IMO, were developed in Canada due to the lack of Canadian bans on exporting cryptography. An SSH client is uncluded in the Ubuntu install, and you can apt-get the server. :)
Thank you! Now I feel better:) While on the subject of security, did you know that OpenBSD is Canadian also?

HungSquirrel
April 6th, 2005, 02:14 AM
Yep. The fine folks at OpenBSD made the apps I mentioned.