PDA

View Full Version : It seems impossible to quit tobacco

linuxyogi
December 20th, 2018, 02:22 PM
I used to consume about 17 packets of tobacco per day. I have managed to reduce it to 3-4 packets per day

but problem is I cant manage to completely quit. I feel acute cravings in absence of 3-4 packets.

To all X smoker or tobacco user who have managed to quit any suggestions for me ?

Tadaen_Sylvermane
December 20th, 2018, 04:10 PM
I smoked for 9-10 years, pack and a half of cigarettes a day. It was not easy. I just stopped. I kept busy with other things, chewed gum, prayed (if one believes), and thought about it a bunch.

One thing to think of is finances. Do the math. I found out I was spending just over 3000 dollars US every year for smoking. Money that I really could have used for other things. Hell if I had even saved just half of it each year i would have 15000 US in my savings. What a waste. Then you think about the smell. I always thought I was hiding it well. Found out after I had quit for a month or so that I was only fooling myself. I smelled horrid. My house smelled horrible.

Another thing is your health, probably the most important thing. Within a month I had stopped coughing and wheezing. I was able to do yard work for longer than 30 minutes. I could walk to my Circle K without a problem (about a mile). Everything was better. Also your families health. If you have children, do you really want them to learn to smoke from you? Is definitely a big reason to drop it, hard as it may be.

Was also nice knowing I didn't miss anything. How much does one miss in life because "brb gotta smoke!". Miss alot in life.

End of the day was not easy. Very difficult the first week or so. But thinking about the benefits of quitting is what kept me going. That and faith (won't go into that one). Find something to focus on, and run with it. Tobacco is a bad habit, you are paying to kill yourself slowly. That being said I don't judge smokers. It's a tough one to break. But the results are worth it.

I'd suggest not using the patch, or the gum. Statistically speaking studies have proven that just quitting is the most likely to lead to success. It's hard, but get it out of your system asap and you will be fine.

1fallen
December 20th, 2018, 04:38 PM
I smoked for 9-10 years, pack and a half of cigarettes a day. It was not easy. I just stopped. I kept busy with other things, chewed gum, prayed (if one believes), and thought about it a bunch.

One thing to think of is finances. Do the math. I found out I was spending just over 3000 dollars US every year for smoking. Money that I really could have used for other things. Hell if I had even saved just half of it each year i would have 15000 US in my savings. What a waste. Then you think about the smell. I always thought I was hiding it well. Found out after I had quit for a month or so that I was only fooling myself. I smelled horrid. My house smelled horrible.

Another thing is your health, probably the most important thing. Within a month I had stopped coughing and wheezing. I was able to do yard work for longer than 30 minutes. I could walk to my Circle K without a problem (about a mile). Everything was better. Also your families health. If you have children, do you really want them to learn to smoke from you? Is definitely a big reason to drop it, hard as it may be.

Was also nice knowing I didn't miss anything. How much does one miss in life because "brb gotta smoke!". Miss alot in life.

End of the day was not easy. Very difficult the first week or so. But thinking about the benefits of quitting is what kept me going. That and faith (won't go into that one). Find something to focus on, and run with it. Tobacco is a bad habit, you are paying to kill yourself slowly. That being said I don't judge smokers. It's a tough one to break. But the results are worth it.

I'd suggest not using the patch, or the gum. Statistically speaking studies have proven that just quitting is the most likely to lead to success. It's hard, but get it out of your system asap and you will be fine.
@ Tadaen_Sylvermane +1 and kudo's. I also smoked a bunch, and have quit for over 19 years now. ;)
Agree Cold Turkey has the best outcome.

I used to consume about 17 packets of tobacco per day. I have managed to reduce it to 3-4 packets per day

but problem is I cant manage to completely quit. I feel acute cravings in absence of 3-4 packets.

To all X smoker or tobacco user who have managed to quit any suggestions for me ?
Key Word "It seems impossible to quit tobacco" I can also relate to your plight, but it is doable. (It seems worth while things are the hardest to accomplish at times):D
Best of Luck though.
EDIT: I can tell you that in my case I felt soooooo much better both physically and mentally

oldos2er
December 20th, 2018, 04:48 PM
I was ill with the flu in December of 1991, sitting on a couch coughing my lungs out while smoking a cigarette, wondering why I was doing this to myself. Since I already felt terrible, I thought I'd try to quit smoking. Somehow I managed to stick with it. The first couple weeks were the hardest for me. I spent many hours on my son's Gameboy at that time, trying to keep my hands and mind busy. It can be done, but it sure ain't easy.

Any former smokers ever read Stephen King's short story "Quitters, Inc."? Inspirational :)

linuxyogi
December 20th, 2018, 05:08 PM
Thanks for all the replies and encouragements.

You guys are absolutely correct, the first week is the most difficult one. If I can somehow get through just one week without tobacco mission accomplished.

lisati
December 20th, 2018, 05:48 PM
When I was a smoker, I became an expert at quitting, and managed to do so multiple times. :D

My impression, based on personal experience rather than formal training, is that there's elements of both habit and addiction present, and both need to be addressed. I find keeping my mind occupied with other stuff is of some help. I also have the condition of my day-to-day laptop as a reminder - I'd hate to open it up and take a good look at the gunk that accumulated inside it when I was a smoker.

For some people, there's options like gum, patches and lozenges which can be of some value dealing with the addictive aspect of smoking while weaning yourself off the cigarettes.

Frogs Hair
December 20th, 2018, 11:11 PM
There are two kinds of cold turkey, the first happens before your health is adversely affected the second, is when you have no choice due to cancer or some other major problem as happened to a family member on mine . Keep trying and though I have no experience with patches they seemed to prolonged the nicotine addiction for people I know rather than being means to quit.

QIII
December 20th, 2018, 11:16 PM
As an old cowboy, I've been using smokeless tobacco for over 40 years. I've quit many times.

I've never had nicotine cravings during those periods. What gets to me is the missed "ritual". Kicking a nicotine dependency is a matter of time.

The ritual is harder to overcome.

again?
December 21st, 2018, 12:59 AM
As others have said, it's a mindset/ritual as well as the addiction you need to overcome.
I enjoyed smoking and after 30 years it had ingrained itself into my habits and lifestyle
and I felt it would be great loss to quit cigarettes.
There's no loss ...it's a gain.

You need to replace the ritual and change your mindset and don't be discouraged if it takes a few tries.
As an ex smoker nicotine chewies worked for me but took a couple of attempts.
Took me about 2 months of gradually reducing the chewies.

poorguy
December 21st, 2018, 01:39 AM
Several attempts and still working on this attempt and it ain't easy and the hardest thing for me is to be around others I know as most of them smoke.

I can make a pack of cigarettes last 4 to 5 days so I'm working that down to where I can hopefully be a nonsmoker before the first of the new year 2019.

exploder
December 21st, 2018, 09:04 PM
Nicodern CQ finally got me to quit smoking. I had smoked a pack a day for 32 years and knew it was taking a toll on my health. The name brand patches worked better than generic equivalents and really do take away most of the urge to light up. I have not smoked for over three years now! If I can do it anyone can, all you have to do is follow through.

wildmanne39
December 22nd, 2018, 12:36 AM
Two posts were removed from this thread, you know who you are, keep the thread nice and no more talk like what was posted, from the CoC:

The purpose of the Ubuntu Forums is to provide support for Ubuntu. We also want this to be a place where community can develop and we can enjoy one another's company. To achieve this, we strive to maintain an atmosphere that can be enjoyed by all and we ask all members of the community to be respectful at all times. This means please use etiquette and politeness. Treat people with respect. If you do this, the rest of the code of conduct won't need more than a cursory mention.

Trolling, Attacks and Flaming: These are always forbidden.

Trolling is posting in a way that provokes emotional responses.
Attacks and derogatory terms of any kind are not welcome. This includes references to any operating systems or the companies that produce them.
Flames are messages that personally attack or call any people names or otherwise harass. These, along with any generally condescending posts will be edited or removed at the moderators discretion.
I would normally pm each person concerned but I do not have the time for that right now.

airheadjb
December 30th, 2018, 02:17 AM
I found the need to quit in Feb. of 17. When I got to the Dr. after a stint in the hospital, they wouldn't give me a reason i had had a stroke. They treated me like I was daft when I speculated that 55 years of smoking probably didn't do me any good. I have been tempted to light up again only twice. Thankfully I didn't give in. I'm not sure that I feel any better, but my bank account hasn't suffered. The only fatality from the stroke was my digital life. I am trying to rebuild that now. I am trying to get a printer up and running again. I have no idea how I did it before, but I will figure it out again. I got help here before and I am glad that here is still here. Whatever you have to do to quit, I hope you succeed.

him610
December 30th, 2018, 03:54 AM
It is hard to quit smoking.

To quit smoking, you have to WANT to quit. I began smoking when I was about 18 and smoked, pack a day, for about 15 years then quit cold turkey. It didn't last. About 6 years later, I took up smoking again and smoked for another 4 years, again quitting cold turkey. Have not smoked since then for 40+ years

Not only do you have to WANT to quit, but you need to find something to do with your hands and when you would normally be reaching for a cigarette to go with that cup of coffee. It's a mind thing too; I used to find myself counting ceiling tiles when I had the urge to smoke.

vidtek
December 30th, 2018, 10:46 AM
I gave up in 1970. I was 19 years old and smoking 40 Capstan full-strength a day untipped.
I started coughing up blood and it scared me to death. I quit cold turkey, smoked my last cigarette at 5.00pm on April 5th 1970, and have not had a single smoke since. The cravings I experienced were horrendous, I used to consume boxes of Juicy fruit chewing gum for the first couple of months after.
I am convinced it was not just will-power, I changed my whole life-style at the same time.
I got married, I moved into my first house and changed my job all in that first month.
I'm sure if I had been in the same old rut I would have slipped up, with the pressures of the daily routine, coffee break, have a smoke, etc etc.
Tony.

worcester
December 30th, 2018, 09:55 PM
Such a difficult habit to stop. I started a chewing gum habit to replace it. Been smoke free 18 months!

I was told just quit. Keep trying to quit. Eventually you will.

I was also told. Once a smoker. Always a smoker. :p
We've only got so much willpower.

Tadaen_Sylvermane
December 31st, 2018, 01:15 AM
was also told. Once a smoker. Always a smoker.
We've only got so much willpower.

It's hard to stay off them. I haven't had a smoke in 7 years now I think. Still crave from time to time. Haven't given in yet. But it will probably be a lifelong struggle.

worcester
December 31st, 2018, 12:48 PM
It's hard to stay off them. I haven't had a smoke in 7 years now I think. Still crave from time to time. Haven't given in yet. But it will probably be a lifelong struggle.

7 years is good going. Well done!

Yeah the cravings never go but seeing how terrible people smell is enough for me.

poorguy
December 31st, 2018, 05:21 PM
Yep you got that right it is hard to stay off of them when most of the people you know are smokers and you can't just kick them out of your life because you've decided to make a change in yours.

We do the bar scene a few times throughout the week the wife and I as we get bored just hanging around the house and yes you guessed it alcohol and cigarettes just seem to go together.

Oh well one day well get it right hopefully.

To all a Happy New Year. ;)

linuxyogi
December 31st, 2018, 06:09 PM
Hi.
UPDATE: I have completely stopped taking tobacco. I am using nicotine gum to cope with the cravings.

I am feeling much better now. I am not yet able to enjoy the the money that I am saving by quitting tobacco

coz the nicotine gum is very costly.

1fallen
December 31st, 2018, 06:28 PM
I am not yet able to enjoy the the money that I am saving by quitting tobacco

:D I love that one. ;)
Keep going and Congrats so far.

linuxyogi
January 3rd, 2019, 06:39 PM
:D I love that one. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA32ikd9B34

worcester
January 3rd, 2019, 10:43 PM
Several attempts and still working on this attempt and it ain't easy and the hardest thing for me is to be around others I know as most of them smoke.

I can make a pack of cigarettes last 4 to 5 days so I'm working that down to where I can hopefully be a nonsmoker before the first of the new year 2019.

Hi.
UPDATE: I have completely stopped taking tobacco. I am using nicotine gum to cope with the cravings.

I am feeling much better now. I am not yet able to enjoy the the money that I am saving by quitting tobacco

Thought about trying vaping instead?

linuxyogi
January 4th, 2019, 08:08 AM
Thought about trying vaping instead?

I am addicted to smokeless tobacco.

poorguy
January 5th, 2019, 01:53 PM
I'm 5 days without a cigarette. :)

linuxyogi
January 5th, 2019, 03:09 PM
I'm 5 days without a cigarette. :)

Well done. =d>

Update : Now instead of 4mg nicotine gum I am taking 2mg gums.

poorguy
January 6th, 2019, 08:31 AM
Yeah it isn't that bad since I didn't smoke that much although I still find myself wanting a cigarette now and again when I get in one of them moments where I need to ponder on a project I'm working on.

Yeah I'm tossing my cigarette money into a can for a year and see how much I save and perhaps buy something I really don't need or normally wouldn't buy.

linuxyogi
January 7th, 2019, 03:10 PM
Now I am replacing nicotine gums with regular gums to further cut down the nicotine intake.

jdeca57
January 7th, 2019, 06:17 PM
I stopped smoking 17 years ago. It's possible even under peer pressure, just like quitting to drink alcohol but it isn't easy at first. It takes years to adjust to the new normal. Now some of my friends leave the restaurant and smoke in a cold, wet night and I remain with others and wonder why they punish themselves like that. Not really because I remember how hard it was to stop. But it can be done. So courage for you guys trying to stop.

kibiras
January 10th, 2019, 02:40 PM
I stopped smoking after new years, so it's 10 days without cigarette and I feel amazing :)

linuxyogi
January 31st, 2019, 02:57 PM
Update: Now I am taking 5 nicotine gums instead of 10 but I am having a tough time quitting the last five gums.

agklimit
February 2nd, 2019, 02:51 AM
It is very hard indeed... Have no "recipes" for success, though the last time I smoked was in 1994. Can't even imagine smoking ever again. (But it's been a long, long time).

Swagman
February 8th, 2019, 05:06 PM
The problem is all inside your head he said to me,
The answer is easy if you take it logically

Which is actually true.

It's only when you get totally fed up with the stink, the acidy stomach, the headaches, wheezing etc that your brain will finally click and say "Sod That" and you'll quit.

Just like that !

If you find you're making excuses to have a smoke then it's because you still enjoy it. Aint nowt wrong with that !

Twiddle a biro to give your fingers something to do or chew (lightly) the end of it.

chamara1
February 13th, 2019, 12:25 PM
I also smoked a lot and just gradually reduced the dosage. If this does not suit you, then I think that there are some centers that help to fight this addiction.

him610
February 13th, 2019, 11:53 PM
For all of you that are attempting to quit smoking, I offer my heartfelt encouragement. You go Girl! You go Guy!
It is a lot easier to stop smoking than to stop eating.