PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] update Firefox in 17.10 ... how?

acebone
December 15th, 2018, 12:33 PM
Hi!

My firefox is telling me that it is critically out of date - reading the interwebs, it seems that canonical is fully aware and shipping a fixed version.

However I'm running 17.10 and apt tells me that there's no upgrade available for firefox (I did 'sudo apt update' first, but that shouldn't be necessary?).

I could simply de-install firefox and then install it myself, but then I'd have to remember that.

howefield
December 15th, 2018, 12:37 PM
Ubuntu 17.10 itself is also critically out of date, hence not having a currently supported version of Firefox.

Your best but not only option is to upgrade the operating system.

acebone
December 15th, 2018, 01:03 PM
uh ... I've finally got it working as smooth as possible as a soundproduction/video/3D machine. I'd like to postpone updating the system until I've finished what I am currently working on.

I guess I'll have to deinstall FF and then install it myself from some other source?

howefield
December 15th, 2018, 01:16 PM
Sure, that's valid enough although production machines are usually better off on an LTS release with at least 5 years of support.

If it were mine I think I'd download the pre-compiled binaries, extract and run as described here.. https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/install-firefox-linux

acebone
December 15th, 2018, 02:53 PM
thnx alot! :)