PDA

View Full Version : Tonites Lunar Eclipse

FLeiXiuS
October 28th, 2004, 03:49 AM
Observatories around the country will be staying open late to give stargazers a view through their telescopes, but astronomers say the earth's passage between the sun and moon is easy to see with the naked eye.

The director of the Miami Planetarium says the moon may take on an orange glow, making it look like a big pumpkin hanging in the sky as the Earth's shadow completely covers the moon.

The color comes from Earth's sunrises and sunsets. That's the only light hitting the full moon during the eclipse, when the Earth passes directly between the sun and moon.

Prime viewing time will be late night in North and South America, and pre-dawn Thursday in Europe and western Africa.

This is the last such eclipse until March 2007.

Take time away from the computer to watch such precious moment:-P

flygmaskin
October 28th, 2004, 06:39 AM
Ah, thats why the moon looked really weird a couple of hours ago. I was beginning to wonder what was in my cigarettes :roll:

mark
October 28th, 2004, 03:53 PM
Observatories around the country will be staying open late to give stargazers a view through their telescopes, but astronomers say the earth's passage between the sun and moon is easy to see with the naked eye.

The director of the Miami Planetarium says the moon may take on an orange glow, making it look like a big pumpkin hanging in the sky as the Earth's shadow completely covers the moon.

The color comes from Earth's sunrises and sunsets. That's the only light hitting the full moon during the eclipse, when the Earth passes directly between the sun and moon.

Prime viewing time will be late night in North and South America, and pre-dawn Thursday in Europe and western Africa.

This is the last such eclipse until March 2007.

Take time away from the computer to watch such precious moment:-P
Unfortunately, the winter monsoons (!?) have come early to Los Angeles this year, making direct viewing uncomfortable, if not impossible (heavy cloud cover here in Santa Monica). I had to content myself with "second-hand" views. Sigh...

FLeiXiuS
October 28th, 2004, 05:02 PM
Unfortunately, the winter monsoons (!?) have come early to Los Angeles this year, making direct viewing uncomfortable, if not impossible (heavy cloud cover here in Santa Monica). I had to content myself with "second-hand" views. Sigh...

It was a bit cloudy, but the vision was still clear.