PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Issues when installing 32 bit netboot installer

diy2124
December 11th, 2018, 12:02 AM
I'm about 2 weeks into experiencing Ubuntu...and I've learned more than I thought I ever would so far.

I have an old Compaq mini-110 that I'm trying to install Ubuntu version 18.04/18.10 onto. So far I have successfully installed 17.04 (32-bit i386) from an .iso file from the website. This Release works perfectly fine on the mini, however, I would like to update to the latest release in order to download apps and have updates to security etc.. After watching youtube videos, I learned that in order to get the latest release, I would have to download the mini.iso from the netboot installer page. As soon as I choose the option to install I see undefined video mode:314. It lets you pick different resolutions (0-6) but I'm not sure if it's working due to the the next error that I will refer to soon (When installing from the iso, this message never appeared). I've also seen that you can change vga= something but I have no idea how to get to that. It lets me continue with the install. I follow the instructions throughout the install. It says it has installed successfully. I reboot and Instead of going to the GUI, I'm in tty1(?). I sign in and only get a command prompt. I've tried to do the ctrl+alt+F1-F12 but none of them got me out of this. I also saw on a forum that you could Check where display-manager.service is pointing to and if it was pointing to an old lightdm version to switch it to the gdm version. I went to "ls -la /etc/systemd/system" and saw nothing that referred to a display-manager.service. So my questions are: Is the undefined video mode the reason why the I'm going to tty1 or are these separate errors? If they are separate instances: How do I get to change the vga so the undefiended video mode error goes away? Am I missing something in the install that is causing me to go straight to the tty1 instead of going to the GUI. Thanks in advance for your help.

wildmanne39
December 11th, 2018, 12:05 AM
18.04 does not come in a 32 bit it was discontinued.

Impavidus
December 11th, 2018, 01:02 AM
The Ubuntu live installer for 32 bit has been discontinued, but the minimal installer and light flavours are still available as 32 bit. On an old computer I think you want one of the lighter flavours anyway. The Lubuntu live installer is probably easier than the minimal installer.

https://lubuntu.net/downloads/
https://www.ubuntu.com/download/alternative-downloads#network-installer

diy2124
December 11th, 2018, 08:19 PM
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/netboot/18.10/?_ga=2.43147809.584314978.1544553058-1173495117.1542215713

I understand they discontinued the live installer for 32 bit. That's why I was attempting to use the netboot installer (link above). From what I know, this netboot installer installs the bare minimum on to your pc to get you started so you don't have to worry about disc space\ram. I watched multiple videos of people installing this way but I'm sure the computers they are installing on are not as old. I installed a couple versions of Lubuntu successfully on to the computer but for some reason it wipes out the drivers for my network adapter. I could go to Software & updates in order to get them back on ubuntu. On lubuntu, there isn't a software & updates to get the drivers from.