PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] 18.04 LTS - GNOME - Failed to start session

ubunky2
December 10th, 2018, 05:47 PM
Greetings,

I've updated my PC some weeks ago from 16.04 LTS to 18.04 LTS and everything seemed fine. Two days ago though I resumed my PC from standby and the login screen (I suppose gdm3 - it looked like this) (https://i.stack.imgur.com/tavlw.png) wouldn't let me enter the password for my user but instead always say something like 'Login failed' as if the keyboard would spamming the Return key on the empty password field. Mouse was still working so I tried clicking "Log in as another user" though there was no other user available. Didn't work either and just returned to the login screen with the 'Login failed' error message. I was able to shutdown and restart the PC with the upper right icon though, which I did in the end. That's where my problem started.

After the restart it suddenly showed a completely different login screen (I'm guessing it's lightdm based on what I could find out). It looked like this:

When I try to enter my password on this login screen (username is correct), all it says is "Failed to start session" all the time.
That's where I'm stuck. Don't know what I can do to login to my GNOME desktop. I clearly need help. :confused:

I can switch to a virtual console (Ctrl + Alt + F1) and login there without any problem. Even sudo apt-get update && apt-get upgrade works.

Based on tips I got in another forum I already tried the following things:

Tried
startx in the virtual console which resulted in a black screen with a working mouse cursor. No icons, dock, background, ...
Deleted the following files from my user's home folder
.Xauthority
.ICEauthority and reboot. Just shows lightdm login screen and "Failed to start session" after entering my password.
On Virtual Console 1:
sudo /etc/init.d/lightdm stop
sudo /etc/init.d/lightdm start
startx resulted in black screen with a working mouse cursor just like before
On Virtual Console 1:

mv ~/.config ~/.config-old
startx resulted in black screen with a working mouse cursor just like before
Temporarily added a boot parameter nomodeset (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/KernelBootParameters). Just boots to lightdm login screen and the usual "Failed to start session" error.

That's where I'm at the moment. I'm desperate and would welcome any help. Please help me get back into my desktop.

ubunky2
December 18th, 2018, 09:02 PM
In the end the following did the trick:

sudo apt-get install --reinstall gnome-session
sudo apt-get install --reinstall ubuntu-desktop

Everything is back to normal (gdm3) and I can login with my user credentials. :D

sunze
July 7th, 2019, 01:17 PM
In the end the following did the trick:

sudo apt-get install --reinstall gnome-session
sudo apt-get install --reinstall ubuntu-desktop

Everything is back to normal (gdm3) and I can login with my user credentials. :D

This worked for me too. Thanks!!!