PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Install Ubuntu Alongside Mate

RedChili
December 9th, 2018, 10:17 AM
Hi!

I'm running Ubuntu Mate 18.04 on my laptop. I would like to switch to the regular Ubuntu instead. So my question is:

Is there a way that I can install the regular Ubuntu alongside Mate, or preferably, to replace Mate while I keep my documents, pictures, and Thunderbird and Mozilla profile folders?

Thanks in advance!

TheFu
December 9th, 2018, 01:12 PM
First, backup anything you can't afford to lose. Documents, personal settings, system settings and the operating system. Sometimes bad choices are made accidentally. Having a backup mitigates that risk. Be certain you can restore the backup. aptik is an easy backup tool for this, but I don't know how well it works on 18.04.

sudo apt install ubuntu-desktop https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/ubuntu-desktop
but beware that some of the configuration files may be used by both systems and that might be incompatible. It would be best to create a fresh, new, userid for the new DE.

On the login screen, there is a "gear" which allows selecting the environment to be used at login. Mate, Gnome, Ubuntu, openbox, etc.

If you like, you can remove the mate-desktop meta-package, but I wouldn't bother.

I've never added the Ubuntu Desktop package, but I have installed many different GUIs. I always use a newly created userid until I'm positive that the GUI/DE is what I want.

You can copy the documents and both thunderbird and firefox config/data from 1 account to another. Provided the files are placed into the expected locations and permissions are similar, just with the new userid as owner, they will work as before.

RedChili
December 9th, 2018, 02:43 PM
Thanks! That's what I suspected.

I've already made a backup of all important files to an external HDD, so it should be a simple task.

TheFu
December 9th, 2018, 02:53 PM
Thanks! That's what I suspected.

I've already made a backup of all important files to an external HDD, so it should be a simple task.

If the external HDD isn't using a Linux file system, it is likely that the correct permissions will be lost. Unix cares not just about the data inside the files, but the 32-bit permissions + the owner + the group. These all need to be retained in a proper backup.

Permissions aren't so important for "documents", but there are many settings where it is absolutely critical. For example, ~/.ssh/ the directory and everything inside it has exact permissions mandates.

RedChili
December 9th, 2018, 07:54 PM
Thanks, TheFu! It works like a dream. I'm using the same login for both flavors.

TheFu
December 9th, 2018, 08:18 PM
Thanks, TheFu! It works like a dream. I'm using the same login for both flavors.

You were lucky. I've seen settings conflict and break both DE options.