PDA

View Full Version : is e17 just another angel in the xmas tree?

fuscia
August 21st, 2006, 02:59 PM
(i'm so tempted not to explain that...oh, well...) when i was a kid, my parents always got the same kind of christmas tree: spruce, with noticeable spaces between the tiers of branches. once decorated, i would gaze at the tree with envy as i imagined what it must be like to be one of the little white angel ornaments floating between the tiers, lit by the soft twinkling glow of tree lights. the closest i ever came to knowing was in high school when my friends and i would follow up rigorous pharmeceutical testing with a romp in the trees by the football stadium. we would climb a tree at the top and jump from tree to tree until we got to the bottom of the hill. it was close, but not quite my dream. my question is: will finally getting e17 to work be the magic i hope it will be, or am i better off forever dreaming of the fleeting life of a christmas tree angel?

btw, does anyone actually know a way to get it working? i think i've missed few windows of oppurtunity.

encompass
August 21st, 2006, 03:04 PM
it is my understanding they have a live cd... and that live cd runs mepis... could work then right? I would love to see it in action... sure looks nice and the librarys are well built.
I wonder, does it need any special accel for it?

Brunellus
August 21st, 2006, 03:06 PM
no, it doesn't need any acceleration, but it is forever "under development."

I remember there was an e17 howto somewhere around the forums--maybe poofyhairguy wrote it?--but it's been a while.

crackseller
August 21st, 2006, 03:11 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=228018

I tried it out and it worked pretty well considering the fact that it is (very) beta. It looks just great, all the effects and stuff. Once it it hits the stable releases I sure will use it frequently, maybe even switch from Openbox to e17. My hopes for it to be ready anytime soon are not that high though :/

Brunellus
August 21st, 2006, 03:12 PM
it should release at about the same time as Duke Nukem Forever

mrgnash
August 21st, 2006, 03:18 PM
I managed to get E17 working on Badger after a considerable amount of pain... and buggy as it was, it was a truly beautiful experience. I've also tried the Live CD, which while less buggy, was well.. only a Live CD.

Compiz + Gnome probably provides the best looking desktop of any OS out there at the moment, but can you imagine an accellerated E17 with composite extensions?? I salivate uncontrollably just thinking about it :o

fuscia
August 21st, 2006, 03:46 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=228018

I tried it out and it worked pretty well considering the fact that it is (very) beta. It looks just great, all the effects and stuff. Once it it hits the stable releases I sure will use it frequently, maybe even switch from Openbox to e17. My hopes for it to be ready anytime soon are not that high though :/

oooooooooooooooooooooooooh! it worked!8)

hizaguchi
August 21st, 2006, 03:55 PM
I think the E17 craze died off when Compiz showed up. I know I have a hard time looking at it the same way these days. When you go from wobbly, transparent, fluidly-moving windows wrapped around a 3D cube to a window manager with animated backgrounds and shimmery title bars, the magic kinda disappears.

arox
August 21st, 2006, 04:16 PM
I just installed it and... wow

I used e17 a while ago and it undergo a lot of changes. More eyecandy and useful than before

And you don't need 3d acceleration

fuscia
August 21st, 2006, 04:19 PM
I think the E17 craze died off when Compiz showed up. I know I have a hard time looking at it the same way these days. When you go from wobbly, transparent, fluidly-moving windows wrapped around a 3D cube to a window manager with animated backgrounds and shimmery title bars, the magic kinda disappears.

i have to wait for the dummies version of compiz. i hosed my system trying to install it.

fuscia
August 21st, 2006, 04:47 PM
what a bizarre coincidence. i had no idea e17 had a gimmick called snow, complete with christmas trees.

http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/9805/coincidencegy7.th.jpg (http://img247.imageshack.us/my.php?image=coincidencegy7.jpg)

arox
August 21st, 2006, 04:50 PM
How I can add icons to icon-bar?
Or edit program menus?

I have there only terminal, firefox and gimp, I need to manualy start everything

Lord Illidan
August 21st, 2006, 04:54 PM
Yes, I love the look of e17.

But it does wear out on you...and it's been so long in development, that I think the team is disheartened or something with the release of xgl/compiz.

A shame.

ice60
August 21st, 2006, 04:59 PM
you can try e17 with the Austrumi livecd. it's only 50MB. the whole thing is loaded into memory so you can tkae it out of the drive and use it for something else (the drive). it's one of my favourite distros and that it's only 50MB is unbelievible :shock:

here's a review of Austrumi with screenshots
http://www.tuxmachines.org/node/6800

Home Page
http://cyti.latgola.lv/ruuni/index_en.html

mrgnash
August 22nd, 2006, 01:00 AM
Yes, I love the look of e17.

But it does wear out on you...and it's been so long in development, that I think the team is disheartened or something with the release of xgl/compiz.

A shame.

Source?

There's no reason why Compiz and E17 couldn't be compatible; especially now that CGWD is the standard window decorator.

hanzomon4
August 22nd, 2006, 04:53 AM
Source?

There's no reason why Compiz and E17 couldn't be compatible; especially now that CGWD is the standard window decorator.

No, compiz is a "WM" and e17 is a "WM", thus they can't coexist at the same time.

Although there's nothing stopping the e17-devs from creating a plugin that takes advantage of xglx/aiglx/xegl/whateverxgl to get compiz like effects.

In fact the bling_manager(or something like that)is all ready working in e17, and I read some where on the e17 forums about a module that also does some composite effects

mrgnash
August 22nd, 2006, 05:32 AM
The window manager is only one aspect of the E17 desktop shell, you also have Edje, Evas, Ecore etc. -- in theory, these could be retained even if compiz was used as the WM. It makes more sense to do what you describe though, and develop a version of the Enlightenment WM with composite extensions. After all, this is what Gnome is doing with Metacity.

RavenOfOdin
August 22nd, 2006, 08:43 AM
fuscia, I have a question: Have you ever taken up writing? :D

fuscia
August 23rd, 2006, 06:06 PM
fuscia, I have a question: Have you ever taken up writing? :D

i haven't.

BWF89
August 25th, 2006, 02:58 AM
the closest i ever came to knowing was in high school when my friends and i would follow up rigorous pharmeceutical testing with a romp in the trees by the football stadium. we would climb a tree at the top and jump from tree to tree until we got to the bottom of the hill.
I'd like to hear more about this.

fuscia
August 25th, 2006, 01:56 PM
I'd like to hear more about this.

not much to tell. the trees were fairly close together and they were short (15 to 20 feet) with long branches. in some places, climbing to a branch of the next tree was no different than climbing the same tree. in other places, a leap was required and, if one missed the right branch, one could end up at the bottom of the hill well ahead of schedule.