PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Xubuntu 18.10 gtkrc-2.0 file doesn't work

rattskjelke
November 26th, 2018, 08:29 PM
I installed Xubuntu 18.10 (replaced 18.04.1 LTS) and it looks like my ~/.gtkrc-2.0 file has no effect now.
Specifically XfdesktopIconView::ellipsize-icon-labels = 0 no longer works.
Icon labels with long file names are truncated. Can anybody else confirm this or know how to fix it?

ajgreeny
November 26th, 2018, 11:37 PM
I think those sort of configurations that used to be sorted in the ~/.gtkrc-2.0 file are now dealt with files that sit in ~/.config/gtk-3.0 though I have never made use of any of them to change anything on my system.

Make a search to see what you can find out about the gtk.css and settings.ini files if you have them in that folder.

Sorry I can't help more.

rattskjelke
November 27th, 2018, 01:37 AM
Make a search to see what you can find out about the gtk.css and settings.ini files if you have them in that folder.
I don't have those. On my installation the gtk-3.0 folder only has a bookmarks file.
I tried moving my .gtkrc-2.0 file there. That didn't help.
I tried renaming it several times to gtkrc-2.0, gtkrc-3.0, gtk.css, settings.ini, logging out and back in after each change, and none of those worked.
I think I will have to go back to 18.04.

Another thing I tried was going to the Xfce Settings Editor and under xfce4-desktop/desktop-icons/ I made a new entry ellipsize-icon-labels and set it to false. That doesn't work either.

rattskjelke
November 27th, 2018, 02:39 AM
I fixed it. Found the answer here
https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=11878

I created the file ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css that contains:

* {
-XfdesktopIconView-ellipsize-icon-labels: 0;
}