PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu_studio] Fresh 18.10 install wants to remove LVM2

Bedlore
November 23rd, 2018, 06:27 AM
Hi all, I've just installed Ubuntu Studio 18.10. After doing basic apt-get upgrades it installed the latest kernels, but now wants to remove LVM ie.

The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
dmeventd libdevmapper-event1.02.1 liblvm2app2.2 liblvm2cmd2.02 libreadline5 lvm2

On an earlier install attempt I think I must of agreed to remove these and then was unable to boot and just got dropped into initramfs, with the "ALERT! /dev/ubuntu-studio-vg/root does not exist. Dropping to a shell!

Can someone tell me if this is what broke my earlier install and if so why it wants to remove it now?

Thanks

Bedlore
November 26th, 2018, 02:53 AM
anyone?

Dennis N
November 26th, 2018, 06:07 AM
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
dmeventd libdevmapper-event1.02.1 liblvm2app2.2 liblvm2cmd2.02 libreadline5 lvm2

"automatically installed" means they were installed as dependencies, but now no package depends on them so apt informs you they could be removed. That doesn't mean it's a good idea. Wisely or not, apt expects the user to decide whether to allow removal of any of these. When I see this, I usually just ignore it. I don't think Ubuntu Software or Gnome Software give this suggestion because it is confusing to users.

Note: you can prevent a package from being suggested for removal by marking it as "manually installed"

Remove lvm2 from suggestions for auto-removal:

sudo apt-mark manual lvm2