PDA

View Full Version : [server] Customizing the installation menu of 18.04

rasmusson.stefan
November 19th, 2018, 09:57 AM
I have earlier built a custom install ISO with a customized the install menu for 17.10 server version. Now I'm trying to upgrade to 18.04 server version but running into some problems.
On 17.10 the menu configuration was held in the isolunix folder menu.cfg and txt.cfg. In 18.04 there seems to be a new menu. The same files are still there in isolinux but changes in these does not reflect on the menu. The new menu seems to be based on some other files. I have tries searching the ISO for the words used in the menu shown but getting no hits. Does anyone know where the configuration fot this new meny are?

oldfred
November 20th, 2018, 04:47 AM
The isolinux files are for BIOS boot.
Did you change to UEFI boot that uses grub to boot with /EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi as boot file for UEFI and then /boot/grub.

rasmusson.stefan
November 20th, 2018, 01:23 PM
I run the installer in a VM guest and it is set to do BIOS boot.
So you say the UEFI boot uses a installation menu from /EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi? If I wanted do changes in the menu inside bootx64.efi, how would I go about doing that?

The picture below is the menu Im getting.

oldfred
November 20th, 2018, 03:05 PM
The menu is not in bootx64.efi, that is just the UEFI boot file.

It may be which server version you downloaded. There now are two.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BionicBeaver/ReleaseNotes
The next generation Subiquity server installer, brings the comfortable live session and speedy install of Ubuntu Desktop to server users at last.
And with 18.04 the Subiquity was somewhat limited. That was improved with 18.04.1.

rasmusson.stefan
November 21st, 2018, 10:46 AM
Right, as I understand the LTS version is the 18.04.1 So thats the one I have to use. Any idea on how to customize the menu for subiquity? Build from source? And in that case, where is the subiquity image stored on the ISO?