PDA

View Full Version : Which computer do you think is better?

Schalken
August 21st, 2006, 07:38 AM
I have a dillema on my hands. At the moment I can choose to leave my current motherboard, CPU and RAM, which have the following specs:

Celeron D (90nm)
Single Core
3.06Ghz
256KB L2 cache
1024MB DDR

or I can swap it (without cost) for a motherbord, CPU and RAM with the following specs:

Pentium D (65nm Cedar Mill)
Dual Core
2.66Ghz
2MB L2 cache
512MB DDR2

While the former set of specs has more RAM and CPU clock, the latter is more recent technology.

What would you do?

Sam
August 21st, 2006, 07:50 AM
Take it if it's for free. You'll get speed improvement with 2 MB cache and DDR2.

mips
August 21st, 2006, 11:40 AM
Go for the Pentium D. You can always add another 512MB later. It will be the faster of the two. Do they have any offers on AMD based systems as they might even be cheaper and provide more bang for your buck.

Schalken
August 21st, 2006, 11:59 AM
Well the Pentuim D set was purchased for another family member (it was never supposed to be so powerful) and the Celeron D etc is mine. Since all that other person does is read email, make Word documents etc, and I do high powered stuff like ray-tracing, 3D modelling and playing games, I thought I should have the more powerful of the two. But which one is that? :p

Sam
August 21st, 2006, 12:02 PM
I should have the more powerful of the two. But which one is that? :p

The Pentium D.

mips
August 21st, 2006, 12:15 PM
The Pentium D is more powerfull.

Emerzen
August 21st, 2006, 12:20 PM
I would also say go w/ the dual core. I don't know what programs you are using, but a lot of multimedia apps are optimized for hyper-threading or dual-core; e.g., Adobe Photoshop and Premiere. I believe Cinellera is as well.

Schalken
August 22nd, 2006, 08:35 AM
Cool, thanks a bunch guys! :D

Lord Illidan
August 22nd, 2006, 08:43 AM
Go for the Dual Core. Purchasing more RAM is not too expensive, and you will find a good improvement.

ubuntu_demon
August 22nd, 2006, 01:39 PM
Go for the dual core and buy more ram.

I don't know how serious you are about the "ray-tracing and 3D modelling" but for this kind of stuff I would recommend at least 1 GB memory in total (depending on your needs you might need more).

free -m tells you how much swap is used. Try to buy so much memory that (almost) no swap is used at the peak of your memory use. Once you have succeeded then you can use vm.swappiness to get swap usage very close to zero.

curuxz
August 22nd, 2006, 01:47 PM
...and I do high powered stuff like ray-tracing, 3D modelling and playing games,

I love that....bs reason, bs reason...playing games REAL REASON lol :p

taurus
August 22nd, 2006, 04:40 PM
There shouldn't even be any question whatsoever which one you should take, crappy celeron or pentium dual core!!!

chaosgeisterchen
August 22nd, 2006, 07:48 PM
There shouldn't even be any question whatsoever which one you should take, crappy celeron or pentium dual core!!!

oh man.. quoted for truth.

taurus
August 22nd, 2006, 09:33 PM
oh man.. quoted for truth.
Sometimes the truth hurts, eh!!! :mrgreen: