PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu closed session during update and now it doesn't enter WM

teddmartingeek
November 9th, 2018, 03:55 AM
Hello people, I was updating Ubuntu 16.04 to the new version, before that I check my disk for bad sectors and fixed it, during the update it closed GNOME and take me back to where you select your users, I saw my laptop hard disk working and used ctrl+alt+f2 to enter a terminal, used htop and discovered that the update program was still running, it didn't let me access to my WM, only terminal with function keys. I also saw that the welcome screen showed Ubuntu 18.10 already, asking for a reboot, after that it boot as usual, but it didn't enter anymore to my WM.

I think it has something to do with the fact that my disk had bad sectors before, I don't discard getting a friend HDD to backup and do a fresh reinstall, but I need to access my WM to do that, in the meanwhile I'll use windows. Another thing, my Ubuntu partition is encrypted.

ajgreeny
November 9th, 2018, 12:16 PM
You don't have to use a WM or GUI at all to backup your files and start again; everything can be done from the command line, assuming the keyboard is still working in that.

Tell us more and we can hopefully give you more details of how to start overcoming the problem.

I am not able to help with the encryption or how you can enter into those encrypted volumes as I have never bothered with that for my home machine, but I do hope you have kept backups of that volume as the encryption may mean that it is not possible to access the files, particularly if the HDD is faulty.