PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Any way to make 18.04 GNOME DE act more like 16.04?

Bartender
November 2nd, 2018, 04:31 PM
Been running 16.04 GNOME for a couple of years now. I've grown fond of the way 16.04 GNOME reacts to bumping the cursor into the upper left hand corner of the screen. The dock appears, active windows pull back and sort themselves so that all of them can be seen (what's the proper term for this?) and the search bar pops up.

I installed 18.04 to a test PC. Mousing into the corner doesn't do anything. Clicking on "Activities" gets the search bar and causes active windows to pull back. The dock never goes away. I can set the dock to hide when an active window fills the screen, but that's not the same thing.

I'm guessing this is the way it is in 18.04 and I can just get used to it, but thought I'd ask.

Thanks!

deadflowr
November 2nd, 2018, 05:15 PM
Install Gnome Tweaks
You can reset the hot corner function in the Top Bar section
You can turn off the dock always showing in Extensions (turn off Ubuntu Dock)

fwiw

what's the proper term for this?
overview

Bartender
November 2nd, 2018, 05:26 PM
Thanks very much!
The hot corner tweak worked just like you said. However, turning Ubuntu Dock on or off made no difference. There's a button at the top of the Extensions section that turns both settings off. I tried that too. The dock remains.

Half way there anyway!

Frogs Hair
November 2nd, 2018, 07:06 PM
The dock appears, active windows pull back and sort themselves so that all of them can be seen (what's the proper term for this?) Activities Overview

The gnome shell extensions I've found so far don't include full auto-hide of the dock only the intelligent hide feature that you're already aware of.