PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Ubuntu 18 installation on mac by bootable usb not working

minskis
November 1st, 2018, 10:27 PM
I'm having an old macbook which is running on Mac OS X atm. I would like to have Ubuntu on the laptop since i can't update to a newer mac OS because of my laptop is too old for that. I'm not able to install almost any software needed since my laptop OS is too old.

I checked that the ubuntu 18.04.1 should work on my laptop.
Laptop specs:
Macbook 4.1. (early 2008 model, white)
2.4 Ghz intel core 2 duo
Memory: 2 Gt 667 MHz DDR SDRAM

I would like to over write the whole OS X and install the ubuntu. I think i made the boot usb correctly but i'm not sure. i made it with command line since i wasn't able to install Etcher to my laptop (too old OS).

My problem is that when i try to boot from the usb stick the following happens:
I get the boot menu to the screen by pressing option key right after the start up.
I have two disks available Machintosh HD and EFI boot
I'm able to choose EFI boot but then it just dispays a message "error: file '/boot' not found.
After the message it shows me the ubuntu screen where i can choose weather i want to try ubuntu without installation or install the ubuntu. What ever I choose here, only the black screen will follow, nothing else. I got some text at some point but when i tried to redo that today, i got only the black screen and the only way was to shut down the laptop.

Is there something wrong with my boot usb or is my laptop too old for the newest ubuntu? Is it worth of trying to install an older version of ubuntu?

I tried to google this problem but i didn't find any threads. I would love to have Ubuntu on my laptop, all the ideas worth of testing are welcome.

I can do some basic things with command line but not really a guru so i would appreciate as precice instructions as possible.