PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu_studio] Software center not clearing

zaivala
October 28th, 2018, 10:24 PM
I installed a package from a saved .deb file. Now when I open the Software Center, it still shows that software [package, I can uninstall it or nothing. I hit the Back arrow and nothing happens. I close the Software Center and reopen it, same thing. I can change my Software & Sources, but can't get to new software.

TheFu
October 30th, 2018, 02:36 AM
Why would you expect APT to be able to magically install a fresh version of something that you manually installed from a source completely unknown to APT?

Installing from a .deb file is the 3 best way to install software and by doing so, you've accepted the requirement to manually upgrade/patch that file forever. After 3-6 months, it is likely that APT will prevent further updates for other packages due to the dependencies. When that happens, you'll need to remove this .deb file, do all the upgrades.

Probably not what you want to hear, but that is reality. APT isn't magic.

mc4man
October 30th, 2018, 02:47 AM
Probably https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-software/+bug/1798053

zaivala
October 30th, 2018, 07:55 AM
I believe you misunderstood me.

The app works fine. Indeed, I installed it from a .deb file, and expected Ubuntu Studio to open it with Gdebi, not with the Software Center.

Now, though, when I open the Software Center (to look for other software, or to look for updates), it still only shows the screen for installing the app, which is already installed.

I did solve the problem -- by changing desktops (to MATE).