PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Can't boot Xubuntu live usb

arpeasal
October 25th, 2018, 08:47 PM
I tried installing Xubuntu from usb, but I can’t get my machine to boot from the usb. I used Etcher to burn the Xubuntu 18.04.1 iso to a usb but when I reboot, Windows boots up.

I bought this machine yesterday. It is an Acer Aspire ES 15 with a 1TB HD. I shrank this leaving about 250 GB for the Windows 10.

Before I did anything, I made a Windows recovery usb.

I then installed Antergos Linux (an Arch derivative). I can’t access this yet (the machine just boots to Windows) and I’m trying to figure out how, but that’s a different issue. (Actually, on my old machine I had a similar problem, but when I installed Xubuntu after the Antergos, the Xubuntu Grub showed the Antergos installation, so I didn’t need to do anything else. I’m hoping that happens this time as well.)

Anyway, I set the boot order, I moved the Windows boot manager to the bottom of the list. When I reboot with either my live Antergos usb or my Windows Recovery usb, the machine will boot from the usb. But when I try the Xubuntu live usb, it just boots to Windows. I’ve tried burning the iso to different usbs, but that doesn’t help.

What should I do?

kc1di
October 26th, 2018, 10:54 AM
Hello arpeasal and Welcome to ubuntu forums,

Try turning off secure boot if it will let you and try again.

After doing some searching this Acer model has been a problem with Linux and Ubuntu for quite some time. This thread (https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2381169) and the Post by Oldfred may be of help.

arpeasal
October 26th, 2018, 04:57 PM
Thanks kc1di.
Both secure boot and fast start are disabled and they were disabled when I tried booting.

kc1di
October 26th, 2018, 05:29 PM
update the bios if possible

SeijiSensei
October 26th, 2018, 06:19 PM
Try using Rufus (https://rufus.ie/en_IE.html) in Windows to make a UEFI thumbdrive. I'm having boot troubles on an ASUS machine. It refuses to boot from a USB in legacy mode. It boots properly if I give it a UEFI-formatted USB drive.