PDA

View Full Version : Hotkey for workspaces.

enncee2
October 25th, 2018, 08:07 PM
Hi. I am wondering if it is possible to bind a hotkey to foldin-foldout workspace selector and change the default behavior of the miniatures of the workspaces, so the workspace selector stays out as long as I want to see them (on top) ?

vanadium
October 27th, 2018, 02:19 PM
I assume you are using standard Ubuntu with the Gnome desktop. You cannot open/close the workspace selector using a hotkey. The workspace selector is expanded as you hover the mouse above it, closed when you hover away. In the latest Ubuntu 18.10, the behaviour has improved. As soon as you are using multiple workspaces, the workspace selector will remain open all the time, providing for a more "stable" experience. You can implement that behaviour in previous versions using the Gnome Shell extension "Expand Workspaces Switcher". If you would prefer workspaces to be expanded always, the extension "Always zoom workspaces" is available.

Based on your question, "Workspaces to Dock" might suit you. This makes a Dock from your workspace switcher, that you can display any time from your desktop without having to go to the overview.