PDA

View Full Version : Desktop "move to" operation gives me a strange error.

cajones
October 21st, 2018, 12:58 AM
When I perform a right click on a file and select the 'move to' or 'copy to' operation, I get an error saying folder contents cannot be displayed. It doesn't seem to remember the last folder I used or go to a default folder. This happens on both of my Ubuntu computers, and has done it since 18.04, I figured it was a bug that would be fixed in 18.10, so now that I've upgrade, it's still there, I'm puzzled. Does this happen to anyone else, how to I fix it?

dino99
October 21st, 2018, 10:22 AM
You might find some error into 'journalctl -b' that will help to understand that problem.
Note that you only can move a file if: it is yours, it is not in use.

mc4man
October 21st, 2018, 02:53 PM
If this is just happening to files on the Desktop then it's par for the course, Gnome doesn't support the Desktop & Ubuntu does as little as possible to keep producing Ubuntu for desktop installs.

cajones
October 21st, 2018, 03:54 PM
The files are all mine but this problem only occurs with files on the Desktop, but I have the same issue on multiple computers, weird huh? not sure what I'm looking for but only found one thing that might indicate something.

: open pipe file /run/rpc_pipefs/nfs/blocklayout failed: No such file or directory

cajones
October 21st, 2018, 03:58 PM
Since I'm the only one having this issue apparently, it has to be something specific to my setup. Maybe it has to do with my home network? NFS file sharing or something? It doesn't make any sense to me.

mc4man
October 21st, 2018, 05:25 PM
Since I'm the only one having this issue apparently, it has to be something specific to my setup. Maybe it has to do with my home network? NFS file sharing or something? It doesn't make any sense to me.
No, anyone you tries this with files on the Desktop will see the same. (with nautilus..

cajones
October 21st, 2018, 06:17 PM
Yes, any folder or file that I try to 'move to' or 'copy to' gives me the same pop-up when the nautilus window opens. I can select a folder and proceed, but its annoying and something I would like to figure out.

mc4man
October 21st, 2018, 07:07 PM
Yes, any folder or file that I try to 'move to' or 'copy to' gives me the same pop-up when the nautilus window opens. I can select a folder and proceed, but its annoying and something I would like to figure out.

I thought this post was explanatory, if not I'll reiterate
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2404167&p=13810325#post13810325

cajones
October 22nd, 2018, 12:24 AM
I got this... open pipe file /run/rpc_pipefs/nfs/blocklayout failed: No such file or directory

but I don't know what it means or if it could be related.