PDA

View Full Version : LF router, with a bit more range

Donnut
August 21st, 2006, 12:54 AM
Hi. I am looking for a wi-fi option with around twice the range of a normal 802.11b wireless. You know, the kind that they use in airports. I have been looking around on google and can't seem to get anywhere. Anyone have any suggestions? Opinions?

prizrak
August 21st, 2006, 01:40 AM
You will need an access point not a router. They are standalone and look like a big antena for the most part. You can get a Linksys singal booster as well as bigger antennae. The latter are available at Radio Shack, the former is probably on the Linksys site. In general look through manufacturer sites to see what they offer.

Skye
August 21st, 2006, 05:14 AM
I could be wrong about this, but I'm pretty sure that Cisco Systems handles the industry-grade hardware, while linksys does the consumer stuff. So you might want to check them out.

mips
August 21st, 2006, 11:43 AM
Cisco AP's are frigging expensive although you might get a bargain on Ebay. There are other manufacturers out there that make commercial/industrial grade AP's.

The range of most AP's whould be the same as the power output is governed by law. With some you do have the option to bump the power output up.

A cheaper/better option might be a different antenna.

Titus A Duxass
August 21st, 2006, 12:16 PM
You can buy booster amps which will increase the range a bit. Linksys routers also come with a big antenna that helps.

There are also aftermarket indoor and outdoor antennas available, www.pearl.de has some bigs for about 39 yo-yos.