PDA

View Full Version : What is the size of your Windows partition?

blastus
August 20th, 2006, 11:19 PM
My NTFS Windows partition has been shrinking steadily since Linux has taken over my machine. It shrunk again today, it's now just under 20GB. 20GB seems to be an optimal size as it allows for plenty of games to be installed. Eventually it might have to go unless I get a larger hard drive. :)

gerbman
August 20th, 2006, 11:22 PM
My NTFS Windows partition has been shrinking steadily since Linux has taken over my machine. It shrunk again today, it's now just under 20GB. 20GB seems to be an optimal size as it allows for plenty of games to be installed. Eventually it might have to go unless I get a larger hard drive. :)My NTFS partition size: 0 GB :)

win_zik
August 20th, 2006, 11:24 PM
My NTFS partition size: 0 GB :)

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Same here? How could that have happened?
;)

gerbman
August 20th, 2006, 11:26 PM
:shock: :shock: :shock:
Same here? How could that have happened?
;)I dunno, one night I found myself faced with a bright circle of light...I just walked into the light, and bam!, I heard angels singing, trumpets playing, and noticed my NTFS partition had disappeared.

fuscia
August 21st, 2006, 12:03 AM
i don't have one.

mrazster
August 21st, 2006, 12:04 AM
Hmm...what's that word "windows"??...I recall hearing it somwhere, but I just can't rember. Just like it's fading..

:-D :-D

Well..I've been totally winblows free since late february..so no "windows/ntfs" here....just good'ole ext3

prizrak
August 21st, 2006, 12:15 AM
What's Windows? Do you mean those things for looking outside? I think they are about 4 feet tall by like 1 foot wide :)

rowanparker
August 21st, 2006, 12:17 AM
Well mine was 50gig (120gig hd) when I started with Ubuntu.
Then it went to 40gig when I was just using Vista (what a bad idea](*,) ).
And now it's 30gig which is good enough as I like games.

Rowan.

Kalinda
August 21st, 2006, 12:33 AM
LOL! My ******* (XP Pro) partition is 21 gigs in size and currently only holds Adobe Photoshop (which I'm running on WINE now), Age of Empires 2 + Expansion and Rise of Nations + Expansion.. and also Winamp and Firefox.

Since I found a way to do pretty much everything I need to in Ubuntu, I haven't booted into Windows for ages. Heck, I've got a mind to get rid of it totally... I still like those games, though, even if I don't play them much.

When I first started out, my Windows partition was a full 80 gigs, an entire drive, formatted in FAT32... at least until some very important files got randomly deleted. Then I just got really angry and smacked the Windows partition down to a pathetic 21 gigs.

Then it went to 40gig when I was just using Vista (what a bad idea](*,) ).
You used Vista (beta, obviously); how was it? lol

Kalinda

rowanparker
August 21st, 2006, 12:38 AM
You used Vista (beta, obviously); how was it? lol
Well.... Not good.
Very slow, very unstable, the GUI was too intense it stopped it being usable.

They are getting nearer about root though (you now have to right click then "Open as Admin" rather than double click).

Rowan.

Senshi
August 21st, 2006, 12:52 AM
My computer is a laptop. It has an 80 GB hard drive in which I dual boot. The Windows partition is 60 GB. The linux partition is 13 GB. I have my music on Windows that's why is larger. I imagine that I'll resize it eventually, but I don't really see a need to now.

%hMa@?b<C
August 21st, 2006, 01:06 AM
I dont have one, i have a /home a root and a swap though!
too bad my only hard drive is 40 Gigs. I need a new one soon

K.Mandla
August 21st, 2006, 03:03 AM
1.44Mb. I keep it on special removable media labeled "Windows 98 Boot Floppy." It's scientifically designed to attract and bond to dust. Like one of those swiffer sweeper things.

Oh wait. That doesn't count.

Well then, just lump me in with the 0Gb'ers.

GhostDawg
August 21st, 2006, 03:09 AM
Mine is 15gb on an 80gb drive. I guess I still need to keep XP around for work related stuff.

I'm gradually thinking about getting rid if I can get Wine or buy Crossover version.

Polygon
August 21st, 2006, 03:11 AM
12 gb for the actuall windows partiton (windows only takes up about 6 gigs, but for some odd reason this partiton is nearly full. no idea how this is happening....)

50 gb ntfs partiton for all my windows programs (including games)

50 gb fat32 for shared documents

40 gb linux (on a seprate hard drive)

fluffington
August 21st, 2006, 05:14 AM
I don't have a Windows partition. I do, however, have a 10G virtual machine running Windows XP that I use for testing the software I write.

songo
August 21st, 2006, 05:52 AM
0 GB.
I can't afford win on my 10GB HD.
I have to stick to the essencial.

Anduu
August 21st, 2006, 06:28 AM
Of the 200 gig on my drive I have 50 set aside for Windows.Mostly for gaming or the odd app I can't find for Linux.

Sam
August 21st, 2006, 06:53 AM
15 GB for games, but it's wasted space as I don't play anymore since a long time...

kpolice
August 21st, 2006, 07:17 AM
35GB

Because I need Visual Studio .NET, Photoshop, Premier, Office, and HL2 + CS + another game + space for downloads :twisted:

Although I use Ubuntu 90% of the time.

Orunitia
August 21st, 2006, 07:38 AM
Non existant.

Rhapsody
August 21st, 2006, 10:32 AM
My main FAT32 Windows partition: 50GB. I keep meaning to nuke it and replace with partitions for ReactOS and Haiku (just because I can really) but never get around to it.

My secondary NTFS partition on the other drive: 248GB. There's stuff on there I really want to keep, so I'll have to go through with that somewhat complicated plan to resize it, transfer everything onto an ext3/ReiserFS/XFS partition, then delete the old one and and expand the new one to fit. With my swap partition on the same disk. That GParted live CD looks good right about now...

Kalinda
August 22nd, 2006, 01:38 AM
Well.... Not good.
Very slow, very unstable, the GUI was too intense it stopped it being usable.

They are getting nearer about root though (you now have to right click then "Open as Admin" rather than double click).

Rowan.
LOL! Yeah, it's shiny *__* Also it probably requires a computer far faster then mine to run. I've heard some rather awful things about Vista, such as it being full of DRM..

Anyway, do you have to enter a password for "Open as Admmin"? If not, then I don't really see how it's all that secure...

Amablue
August 22nd, 2006, 05:10 AM
I started by having a 40/20 split on my laptop, with the 40 belonging to windows.

Then I decided that Ubuntu beat windows in every catagory I cared about, and reduced Windows to just low enough to function. Both ubuntu and windows have 10 gig partitions (though windows fills up much faster), and the remaining 40 gigs is a shared partition for homework, movies and music.

Gijith
August 22nd, 2006, 05:31 AM
12 gigs for XP and Apps

leev
August 22nd, 2006, 05:45 AM
My NTFS partition is 60GB and I don't really use Windows any more. It would be a lot smaller, but I keep forgetting to move my files. :p

arsenic23
August 22nd, 2006, 06:13 AM
230gigs out of about 1300gigs, and dropping in regards to data storage.
I also have two 80gig drives in RAID for my gaming/photoshop install.

Once I move my music over to one of my ext3 partitions the big ntfs partitions will shrink pretty hard. But I'll still prolly keep windows related CD images, programs, information, as well as my movies on the ntfs partition. While I can play most of my videos in linux, I have trouble with the sound and subtitles in alot of my .mkv files.

ubuntu_demon
August 22nd, 2006, 01:53 PM
0GB

My scanner (canon D646U) doesn't work in Ubuntu but I don't wish to keep windows installed for just that.

bonzodog
August 22nd, 2006, 02:34 PM
Out of a 160GB hdd, windows has nothing. Hasn't had for a very long while, though it did get a 10GB partition for testing purposes briefly to see if it would work on my box (it didn't). My Hard disk is all ReiserFS.

B0rsuk
August 22nd, 2006, 06:41 PM
0 GB.

I've had dual boot for last few years, I'm 100% pure linux for several months now. I don't look back, and I'm happy.

AndyCooll
August 22nd, 2006, 11:46 PM
Ogb. I do have an XP VMware image stored on a backup drive which I plugin if I really have to use it.

:cool: