PDA

View Full Version : How do you pass time on the Internet ?

linuxyogi
October 4th, 2018, 12:04 PM
I just read the entire ubuntuforums. I read everything from New to Ubuntu to General help to Installation and Upgrades to Networking and Wireless,

In short I read everything. I also read the Linux Mint forums.

Do you think I am addicted to the Internet ?

poorguy
October 4th, 2018, 11:05 PM
I just read the entire ubuntuforums. I read everything from New to Ubuntu to General help to Installation and Upgrades to Networking and Wireless,

I'm in my middle sixties and retired I've a lot of free time.

I search the web and certain forums for something to do and enjoy it while listening to cbsrmt old radio shows.

SantaFe
October 5th, 2018, 04:02 AM
I'm waiting for the movie! :D :D :D

linuxyogi
October 5th, 2018, 07:55 AM
I'm in my middle sixties and retired I've a lot of free time.

I search the web and certain forums for something to do and enjoy it while listening to cbsrmt old radio shows.

I too listen to music while surfing the web.

I'm waiting for the movie! :grin: :grin: :grin:

Sorry, which movie ?

ryleyrushh
October 9th, 2018, 09:45 AM
Im always looking for a new music or amazing unknown movies

speedwell68
October 9th, 2018, 02:50 PM
I spend most of my time on Reddit looking at Kodi stuff, homeserver stuff, Raspberry Pi projects and general Linux based stuff.

Perfect Storm
October 9th, 2018, 03:12 PM
I must admit I use alot of time on Facebook. There! I said it! :P

speedwell68
October 9th, 2018, 05:49 PM
I must admit I use alot of time on Facebook. There! I said it! :P

That has made RMS angry.

http://harbormist.com/blogmedia/stallman.jpg

autarkic
October 14th, 2018, 05:57 AM
Many of us are addicted to information (or knowledge???) rather than the internet. INFORMATION ANXIETY.

Frogs Hair
October 15th, 2018, 12:50 AM
I use the web for email, music , movies/videos , radio (https://oldradioprograms.us/index.htm), forums, study , workout uploads , arduino projects , and networking.

poorguy
October 16th, 2018, 07:34 PM
I use the web for radio (https://oldradioprograms.us/index.htm), forums.
I also spend a lot of time listening to "old radio programs" . :cool:

https://www.cbsrmt.com/

https://archive.org/details/OTRR_Suspense_Singles

Frogs Hair
October 17th, 2018, 02:51 AM
I also spend a lot of time listening to "old radio programs" . :cool:

https://www.cbsrmt.com/

https://archive.org/details/OTRR_Suspense_Singles

When I was a little public radio ran the original "War of the Worlds " on Halloween so I started looking for other programs years later when I got a computer. WPR used to play reruns of a program called MINDWEBS (https://archive.org/details/MindWebs_201410/001CarcinomaAngels-NormanSpinrad.wav) too.

poorguy
October 17th, 2018, 11:59 AM
When I was a little public radio ran the original "War of the Worlds " on Halloween so I started looking for other programs years later when I got a computer. WPR used to play reruns of a program called MINDWEBS (https://archive.org/details/MindWebs_201410/001CarcinomaAngels-NormanSpinrad.wav) too.
Cool I'll have to give that a listen.

I'm also a big "War of the Worlds"fan and listen to it every Halloween also.

Here a link that may interest you.

https://archive.org/details/oldtimeradio

him610
October 20th, 2018, 10:57 PM
Check my email, read the local, national, world news, check the latest on the sports teams I follow. When I finish those things with no chores to do around the house, I read the latest posted issues in Ubuntu Forums, sometimes responding when I feel I can contribute.
Last winter when things were slow, I enrolled in a series of courses developed and taught by Google on Coursera.org. Received my Google IT Professional Support Certificate after completing all six courses. I enrolled mainly to prove to myself I still had it mentally at age 80. Maybe, I will take something else this winter.

linuxyogi
October 22nd, 2018, 09:21 AM
I must say that from the past few days I am losing interest in web browsing. Browsing this forum doesn't seem to be interesting any more. Watching TV in comparison is more interesting.

again?
October 22nd, 2018, 09:57 AM
I hover my mouse over the Ubuntuforums heading waiting for the Halloween cursor. ;)

Perfect Storm
October 28th, 2018, 04:25 PM
I hover my mouse over the Ubuntuforums heading waiting for the Halloween cursor. ;)

Try now. And it's time for avatar changes.

pauljw
October 28th, 2018, 05:23 PM
Your new avatar is the perfect picture of artificial intelligence.

entropie2
October 29th, 2018, 04:00 PM
date "+%d %B of %Y at %H:%M and %S seconds"

Pretty easy to parse time, where is the problem? :)

Tadaen_Sylvermane
November 14th, 2018, 03:28 PM
I used to spend my free time trolling various Linux forums. I wanted to help, share what I've learned over the past 4-5 years. However recently I've had some bad experiences on a few other forums. From the usual elitist BS to flat out insults and trash talking because of a difference of opinion. As such I've stopped going to all forums except this one. I still try to help but only check occasionally now, once every week or so. No offense to anyone here, but most people on the internet aren't worth the grief either they give, or others give while trying to help someone else.

Religiously speaking we are to turn the other cheek. I've run out of cheeks.

The nice part is I'm discovering life outside of my computer again, and loving it.

*EDIT* I would be remiss by not mentioning that grief is contagious. I've given it plenty of times as well. Feel a bit guilty about it, can't change it. Is another reason I've given up a fair amount of my former time bouncing around the internet. I don't like what I become sometimes.

lisati
November 14th, 2018, 07:24 PM
I used to have a copy of the 1970s album War of the Worlds by Jeff Wayne. These days I have a copy on DVD of an updated version, and also a copy of the movie by that name.

When Mrs Lisati lets me, I spend at least part of the day checking email, browsing the Ubuntu Forums, and annoying people on Facebook

henryshaw
November 16th, 2018, 06:47 AM
I look for latest news and ofcourse use my social media accounts to pass time. i also do some casual online gaming on my mobile.

angisky
November 19th, 2018, 12:15 AM
I clicked on this thread because I had nothing to do. XD Sitting in the car outside the laundry mat listening to music and trying to learn more linux things on the internet with my little thinkpad netbook.

MSGone
November 19th, 2018, 07:19 AM
I use 2 Ubuntu forums, 4 Christian forums, Facebook, shopping, and a variety of information that I search for. I also like to play games, but I haven't gotten into the live on-line games yet with human players. I only use G-rated sites and it's free.

pahom
November 21st, 2018, 08:55 AM
I search and read on the Internet all materials related to religion, which I profess (Pastafarianism), as well as I read materials about flat land, chemical trails (chemical routes that leave some airplanes), about the ancient destroyed civilizations and the buried remains of their cities, on which, as on foundations, some modern buildings were erected, about silicon life, about destroyed silicon many-kilometer trees and so on. Sometimes I play computer games. For example, in Lineage II.

med304
November 22nd, 2018, 02:47 PM
I use web for browsing new coding techniques; new software products, especially the ones that solve mail related issues.

RabbitWho
November 25th, 2018, 11:49 AM
Christmas shopping

Skaperen
November 27th, 2018, 08:03 AM
when not reading forums or coding i browse videos on YouTube.

freemedia2018
December 1st, 2018, 05:52 AM
I used to spend my free time trolling various Linux forums. I wanted to help, share what I've learned over the past 4-5 years. However recently I've had some bad experiences on a few other forums. From the usual elitist BS to flat out insults and trash talking because of a difference of opinion.

My own theory about this is that we are culturally creating a perfect society for narcissists. Part of it is bad habits, part of it is bad parenting, but there's a lot more to it than that. Another factor is the constant increase in global population, leading people to be starved for attention while being surrounded by people. We reward neglect.

Narcissists thrive under these conditions. And "grief is contagious" like you said. On a positive note, I also feel that dealing with society would improve quickly if more people knew more about narcissism. Misunderstanding it (or understanding it superficially) makes people unprepared (and shocked, and bothered) by encountering it on a weekly basis or more.

The nice part is I'm discovering life outside of my computer again, and loving it.

Going outside helps. Maybe it's because people are anonymous online. Or maybe it's because outside, you're more likely to use your feet while indoors, in your home, you are just as likely sitting.

But as for me, my online and offline and other computer activities are all connected to some degree. I code, I try to help people with technical issues, and I try to offer other ideas that will help.

One thing that would help a lot is if people spent more time outside their philosophical comfort zones. It's not just encountering different ideas that helps, it's discovering that the ideas that make your own life ideal come not from a narrow subculture, but from everywhere. Once you discover that (easier with time, but possible in youth) it helps you appreciate different perspectives more. Not as rules, but as a wider array of options. It takes practice to think of it that way, and the most reasonable people arent like that 24/7. They all have their moments.

4techguns
December 2nd, 2018, 10:02 PM
I just sit around watching YouTube most of the time on the internet.

anarchy-x
December 10th, 2018, 05:40 AM
I'm usually mucking around https://vampirefreaks.com, playing Ryzom (or WoW), browsing torrents, scanning my RSS feed,... stuff
/me shrugs

oneleded
December 16th, 2018, 11:14 AM
i got a few forums i go to, then i surf,trying to learn something. now im looking for a search engine that doesnt rank. so i can find things again. like the web used to be.

worcester
January 1st, 2019, 11:16 AM
Many of us are addicted to information (or knowledge???) rather than the internet. INFORMATION ANXIETY.

Indeed. As a kid 20 years ago I'd always be asking question after question that never got answered... fueling that desire more and more.

Then parents invested in a computer of my own and an internet connection and I was off. Amazing the people the internet allows you to meet and network with.
At 16 my first mentor was a multi millionaire Ukraine company owner that helped protect my little start-up business Linux servers. Little did I know at the time he had over 10 cars on his drive :o

tsynkzzz
January 15th, 2019, 12:32 AM
Usually I pass the time by watching videos on the Internet, it also includes looking at images, exploring places on maps, listening to music, talking to people or just simply browsing, whatever I feel like at the time.

morleyeugena
January 30th, 2019, 08:22 AM
I spend most of my time on facebook chatting

jdeca57
January 31st, 2019, 09:30 PM
Most of my time spent is in a browser looking for news an then I may wander to Youtube or other digital content like Netflix. Way back is Facebook because I think social activities are meant to occur in the real world but then again that may be age related...

agklimit
February 1st, 2019, 01:02 PM
Watching some amazing videos on YouTube (sorry, RMS :oops:)

Look for Mr Carlson's Lab (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU9SoQxJewrWb_3GxeteQPA) (If you're into electronics, anyway).

kc1di
February 1st, 2019, 01:14 PM
Mostly monitoring this and other forums and searching for info - etc.

coralof
February 15th, 2019, 03:39 PM
Man, I must have read thousands of articles on Wikipedia, practically every day for at least an hour or two. I'm addicted to knowledge and information, too, I guess.

CharlesA
February 18th, 2019, 05:42 AM
Does Reddit count? Hmm.

koshamo
February 18th, 2019, 07:45 AM
Man, I must have read thousands of articles on Wikipedia, practically every day for at least an hour or two. I'm addicted to knowledge and information, too, I guess.

Right? What usually begins with one Wikipedia page/topic leads to a dozen more; by the time it is all over with you've got 17 tabs open and it is 2 o'clock in the morning. #-o

travolta709
February 19th, 2019, 02:51 PM
50% of my life is in the WEB (reading news, films, working), (http://wearion.com/) but another 50% I try never to be on the web.

Risperix
February 20th, 2019, 01:32 AM
Scroll, click and drink coffee, then repeat, ad nauseam.

It's great to be alive!!:guitar:

nclirik
February 20th, 2019, 03:35 AM
I spend lots of time in Social network,film,and online shopping(in China,people more and more like to shop online instead of going to the store).

bitsnpcs
February 26th, 2019, 12:42 AM
Listening to music on YouTube.

sharky8
March 25th, 2019, 06:43 PM
listen music, watch twitch, serials.

LastDino
March 28th, 2019, 10:18 AM
I read Chinese novels, I dunno, probably not a good hobby for 30 yr old but w/e sails your boat I guess.lmao

jaka4
April 3rd, 2019, 08:43 PM
Memes,
nope.
Just memes. Maybe watch an occasional TED talk.

poorpockets-mcnewhold
April 6th, 2019, 05:34 PM
Either is searching new apps/services to use and install.
Either is playing some games.
Either to work on translations or try to contribute to project i maintain or like on Github.
And sometimes, all at the same time, having a ultrawide screen is useful.

RedDirtDog
April 8th, 2019, 01:00 AM
Forums, reddit (yeah i know), watching gifs/vids of people doing stupid things to themselves, searching for stuff to help me figure out why something on my HTPC which has been working for 6 months has suddenly stopped working

huff2
April 8th, 2019, 01:09 AM
I love Youtube! I'll spend all night watching videos on any topic that I'm currently interested in.

ImpWarfare
April 8th, 2019, 05:52 PM
I love Youtube! I'll spend all night watching videos on any topic that I'm currently interested in.

YouTube is very good, in High School years I used to hate YouTube and refused to go on the website but now I love it and love the music videos on YouTube and I like watching certain clips from my favourite TV shows on YouTube like for example watching the AI Control taking over the Section 31 officer Leland on Star Trek Discovery etc. I also use YouTube to watch certain videos based on Video Games like Alien Isolation watching to see what and how other players do certain things that I might have missed.

johnsonmartincox
April 19th, 2019, 12:43 PM
check emails, forum and thread check and also reply, learn new things and technology, projects, music, etc...

dolios
April 30th, 2019, 04:45 AM
check emails, forum and thread check and also reply, learn new things and technology, projects, music, etc...

This is me 1 on 1 haha. I check my email everytime I hear a bling from my phone just to see that I have gotten another email named: Bitcoin goes up 100. Bitcoin goes down 100. How interesting
Talk with friends on telegram, discord and such. You can also write awesome tutorials so others do not have to waste so much time on the internet :D

ClickTek
May 16th, 2019, 02:56 PM
Reddit & Twitch when I have the time.

RabbitWho
May 17th, 2019, 04:26 PM
audiobooks

i use leechblock to stop me going on timeleeching sites like twitter, and i have a "feature phone" so no smartphone... still i spend time on stuff that's not super productive... like omg this thread heh

cruzer001
June 2nd, 2019, 05:46 PM
I have my favored sites, but I also like to explore.

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/stumbleupon-alternatives/

jamespoos
June 5th, 2019, 01:15 AM
https://www.boredbutton.com/
(https://www.boredbutton.com/)

ninathena
June 12th, 2019, 09:35 AM
Read manga online and the next thing you know it has been a week already

deraespieterjan
June 13th, 2019, 04:39 PM
I spend far too much time on YouTube, usually watching the 'big names' in tech.
MKBHD, UnboxTherapy, AppleExplained, and LinusTechTips.

Google News also gets a good amount of my free time.

And of course, social media :lol:

samalex
June 14th, 2019, 03:01 PM
Reddit, Ubuntu Forums, Diaspora, Fark, Youtube, whatever else

Artim
June 16th, 2019, 08:12 PM
Shopping, banking, school work, social media (Diaspora instead of Facebook, Mastodon instead of Twitter), learning about some Linux stuff.

seollq
June 17th, 2019, 03:08 AM

Time in internet i read news, on facebook...
I'm truth addicted to internet
And you read about Ubuntu's knowledge, don't worry!

Skaperen
June 17th, 2019, 09:23 PM
i thought "truth" and "internet" were contradictory concepts.

samalex
June 18th, 2019, 05:18 PM
Reddit is probably my #1 go to now that G+ is dead. After that I like reading random crap on Wikipedia and I also love the old-school telnet BBSes. I'm also a lover of old tech, so reading old tech magazines online or archive.org are wonderful treasure troves of content for me as are old Usenet posts from 20-30 years ago.

jolibe
June 26th, 2019, 10:14 AM
Internet for me is not only a hobby, but also a job. I really spend a lot of time here. I study, I search for information on programming, I work. And of course I spend a lot of free time here. I play video games, chatting on social networks, and looking for relationships on dating sites.
Through the site https://www.naughtydate.com/ I communicate with several nice girls. Let's see what happens.)))

Pl29MEW2
June 27th, 2019, 12:25 AM
Reddit, Neocities, forums, youtube videos about linux and programming etc. etc.

theaccountant
June 27th, 2019, 04:45 PM
Watching different vlogs and reading how to make money online.

oksanareynuk
July 13th, 2019, 07:51 AM
I love to read different information. It happened that I registered at such forums, which I am ashamed to write about)))))

cellsite60
July 14th, 2019, 05:48 AM
Youtube, a little bit of gaming, searching for stuff i'm interested in, you know, the usual crap :p

sevendogs1337
July 14th, 2019, 07:35 PM
Answering questions in forums...

uRock
July 15th, 2019, 04:46 PM
Refreshing the browser on Facebook, UF, and Google News, when I am not actually working on a project.