PDA

View Full Version : What are you going to do tomorrow? (06-04-2005)

TjaBBe
April 5th, 2005, 10:33 AM
What will you do tomorrow when hoary releases? I'll install it as soon as possible! Can't wait! :D Have been waiting for it to go stable before looking at it lol, respect my nerves! ;)

UbuWu
April 5th, 2005, 10:46 AM
I think I will wait for two more days, as I thought I read somewhere the release was delayed for two days till april 8th...

Brunellus
April 5th, 2005, 11:22 AM
I'll probably hang on and wait a couple of days for the initial fuss to die down,and maybe to hear about how well it works for other users.

I'm pretty happy with warty so far. I'm not really even running gnome, since I don't have much RAM--I'm running fluxbox now--so, uh, what's new in Hoary for me?

ember
April 5th, 2005, 11:23 AM
Well - I will do a fresh install, but only after my new USB-harddrive arrives to backup all important stuff. I can't afford losing my work, even though I don't think anything would really break.

crun
April 5th, 2005, 11:36 AM
What will you do tomorrow...

Same thing I do every day Pinky - try to install a new distro

Jason-X
April 5th, 2005, 11:44 AM
I have Hoary installed allready, so it's only updating for me!

It's been totally stable for me so far :grin:

TjaBBe
April 5th, 2005, 11:52 AM
I think I will wait for two more days, as I thought I read somewhere the release was delayed for two days till april 8th...

Hmm... I'm affraid you're right, the release schedule (http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/HoaryReleaseSchedule) says so too...

More waiting... :(

wulf
April 5th, 2005, 12:45 PM
I'm planning to move over to Hoary sometime during April, although I'll start with my test machine. I'll probably also be among the cautious who hold back a bit until plenty of people have written about how they've upgraded successfully and any common bugs have been ironed out.

Wulf

Glanz
April 5th, 2005, 12:58 PM
What will you do tomorrow when hoary releases?
I will do what I always do: look for bugs, creepy crawlies, and thingies that go 'bump' in the night so that I can squish them after complaining about them.

bigzak
April 5th, 2005, 01:10 PM
I'm very impatient, so I did a clean install of the Hoary preview some time ago and have been downloading about 35 updates a day since then. Once more shouldn't hurt ;)

Patrick
April 5th, 2005, 03:31 PM
I'm very impatient, so I did a clean install of the Hoary preview some time ago and have been downloading about 35 updates a day since then. Once more shouldn't hurt ;)

^^ with bigzak \\:D/

skoal
April 5th, 2005, 04:46 PM
06-04-2005? Tomorrow?

At first glance from the subject line, I thought the flakey flux capacitor (http://www.answers.com/topic/flux-capacitor?hl=de&hl=lorean) in my DeLorean had reset the chronometer again. Then I realized what Doc Brown told me back in '52, "Remember to set the chronometer as day,month,year! Not month,day,year!"

I voted 'installed Hoary already", but technically, I'm still using Warty and on hour #11 with the download. I'll patch up what I need to tomorrow on june 4th, or april 6th. Whichever comes first...

wait a second, I do have a time machine...

muahahaha...

I'll post back here yesterday and let you know how well Hoary performs.

lao_V
April 5th, 2005, 04:50 PM
This is no longer going to be "tomorrow" now as the release has been postponed to 8/4/2005

defkewl
April 5th, 2005, 04:51 PM
Well another two days. Not so long. :D

oddabe19
April 5th, 2005, 05:25 PM
Well another two days. Not so long. :D
Hoary is damn stable already (and has been for a very long time for me).

I've been running it since the servers came online, so i dont have to do anything except a apt-get -u dist-upgrade

I'm still getting cd's to pass around to people at my university and my apartment complex.

PS- what happens when q and r are taken out.

poofyhairguy
April 5th, 2005, 08:16 PM
Well. I just clean installed the preview release of Hoary, but I will clean install it again on the 8th just because.

jdodson
April 5th, 2005, 08:31 PM
crack open a bottle of water, sit back and write a song about ubuntu.

i started writing a song about gnome the other day, its not totally finished yet.

after that run the update and sigh because there wont be daily 100+ Meg updates to xorg for the 5,000th time!

btw the release was pushed back to april 8th. check the wiki.

bored2k
April 5th, 2005, 08:35 PM
crack open a bottle of water, sit back and write a song about ubuntu.

i started writing a song about gnome the other day, its not totally finished yet.

after that run the update and sigh because there wont be daily 100+ Meg updates to xorg for the 5,000th time!

btw the release was pushed back to april 8th. check the wiki.
Is your gnome song going to be free like We Invented Rap Music ?! :D

Jad
April 5th, 2005, 09:06 PM
I have it installed, and its stable

jdodson
April 5th, 2005, 11:02 PM
Is your gnome song going to be free like We Invented Rap Music ?! :D

its going to be free as in cost, download and libre. i will release it under a creative commons license.

Circle of Owls
April 5th, 2005, 11:30 PM
I did a fresh Hoary install about a week ago. It is great so far, although I had to manually enable dma access on my dvd-rom to cure a skipping problem, and change the volume control settings, so that the volume didn't reset at each boot. I didn't have either problem in Warty, hopefully the final release will have them fixed again.

adbak
April 5th, 2005, 11:38 PM
I'll probably just apt-get dist-upgrade, but I wouldn't put it past me to do a clean install (if and only if my sound works).

BWF89
April 6th, 2005, 02:14 AM
I'm going to be writing my rough draft of a story about the Cuban Revolution useing Open Office 1.1.2 and browsing the web useing Mozilla Firefox.

darkoptix
April 6th, 2005, 03:21 AM
Well since it got pushed back to the 8th :cry: I guess would be begging one of my broadband friends to download me a copy.

Slapdash
April 6th, 2005, 12:13 PM
Its already tommorow here :) but I guess I'll have to wait until yesterday to update my Hoary Tommorow. Does that make sence ?

VOTED: I'll be updating since I already have Hoary installed.

TjaBBe
April 6th, 2005, 12:38 PM
Its already tommorow here :) but I guess I'll have to wait until yesterday to update my Hoary Tommorow. Does that make sence ?

VOTED: I'll be updating since I already have Hoary installed.
I'm afraid it's tomorrow everywhere by now. I think I've made an error while choosing the title, seemed fun at the time though :D.

23meg
April 6th, 2005, 12:58 PM
my current Hoary installation is wrecked beyond retrieval after lots of tweaking so i'll do a reinstall. and hopefully take notes of every tweak i make this time and share a combination of the successful ones here.

Slapdash
April 6th, 2005, 01:05 PM
I'm afraid it's tomorrow everywhere by now. I think I've made an error while choosing the title, seemed fun at the time though :D.

Yeah,I clicked to reply early in the morning but got busy in meetings etc. so by the time I got back it was already tommorow all over ;)

STILL amazez me: the time difference thing and the net. Technology is great.
Faceless Community.
Should be interesting to set up a post with people having to submit their photos dont you think?
or do you think that might place the UBUNTU forums at risk of breaking. Or Monitors maybe ? ;)

defkewl
April 6th, 2005, 01:28 PM
I haven't even install Ubuntu yet. So you didn't give me any choice. Haha.

TjaBBe
April 6th, 2005, 01:38 PM
Yeah,I clicked to reply early in the morning but got busy in meetings etc. so by the time I got back it was already tommorow all over ;)

STILL amazez me: the time difference thing and the net. Technology is great.
Faceless Community.
Should be interesting to set up a post with people having to submit their photos dont you think?
or do you think that might place the UBUNTU forums at risk of breaking. Or Monitors maybe ? ;)
That would be fun indeed :). By the way, I don't believe the time difference between you and me (South Africa and Holland) is that big. I even believe it is zero.

The big diference between us lies in the seasons. If I'm not mistaken Autumn and here it's Spring :). (Correct me if I'm wrong).

Slapdash
April 6th, 2005, 01:48 PM
Yeah its starting to go into autum now ;) its a bit early this year usually April is still quite warm but in June July its freezing, by our standards. You will probly find it quite hot ;)

Yeah the time difference should actually be almost none you are right. a couple of minutes maybe. I know that London / Johannesburg that they are an hour behind.

So yeah it was my mistake then.

n mens maak soms foute as mens nie mooi lees nie ;)

skoal
April 6th, 2005, 09:25 PM
I guess I'm not doing anything today now. This Ubuntu/Synaptic combination is like a Mike Tyson uppercut to insallation/upgrade worries. TKO!

I'm 100% Warty free now. Even when I updated to xorg from xfree86, it migrated my 'XF86Config' file to 'xorg.conf' without me having to edit anything. CTRL-ALT-BKSPC, checked the logs, and Xorg baby! Also, I had some issue with crackly sound and it's gone now too after the update.

Eeesh! You guys are making my life too simple. Now I have no excuse for getting other things done, like taking out the kitchen trash. I think I'll just sit here and twiddle my thumbs for a bit while I stare at the trash can.

muahahah...