PDA

View Full Version : P*U*L*S*E (Pink Floyd)

BWF89
August 20th, 2006, 07:21 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/5/59/Pulse_DVD.jpg/200px-Pulse_DVD.jpg

It's the recordings of the 1994 Pink Floyd concert at Earl's Court (London), an enormous indoor arena.

It's a 2 disc DVD set. The actual concert footage is around 140 minutes long and has 22 songs including the entire Dark Side of the Moon album. The laser effects are amazing and on the song On The Run (from DSOTM) they have an prop airplane flying through Earl's Court on fire and smashes into one of the wall where it explodes. Something they probably wouldn't be able to do if they were together today in our post 9/11 world.

It has tons of special features. Theres a section called Bootlegging the Bootleggers that has 4 videos of the concert shot by people in the audience. The sceen films they play during the songs without showing the band onstage. Alternate versions of Time, Money, Speak to Me, The Great Gig in the Sky, and Us and Them. Behind the scenes footage. The Rock and Roll Hall of fame induction ceremony with Billy Corgan from giving a short speech on the role Pink Floyd has played in his life followed by the song Wish You Were Here preformed there. A photo gallery. Conver art for some of their albums. The P*U*L*S*E tv advertisement. And The 1994 tour maps and dates.

Allthgether the collection has about 4 hours of content. You can get it at Target for $19. Most stores have it right upfront as soon as you walk in because of it being such a huge success. I just got it yesterday.

GuitarHero
August 20th, 2006, 07:26 PM
I have it on cd, and yes it is amazing.

djsroknrol
August 20th, 2006, 07:56 PM
I've changed that darn battery in the CD box twice since that album came out...I'm suprised that I haven't had to change it more...

majesticturkey
August 20th, 2006, 08:04 PM
I've had this as a less-than-legal copy for a while, with full intent to pick it up as soon as I get the chance to enjoy the whole thing. I'm only 19 years old, so I unfortunately just missed being able to see Pink Floyd live, and it's such an experience. I have the PULSE album, one of my cherished music possessions. Oh, I'm all giddy. I do remember waiting forever for the DVD to come out, and it getting pushed back.

Wallakoala
August 20th, 2006, 11:27 PM
I preordered this off amazon and received it a while back.

It is really a great dvd, but it isn't the same performance as the cd. I actually think the performances on the cd were way better for some reason...

GuitarHero
August 20th, 2006, 11:54 PM
I like live Floyd a lot more because there is a lot less ambient and strange music than their cds. I dont know if its because I don't do drugs or something but I just hate that crap.

BWF89
August 21st, 2006, 01:41 AM
It is really a great dvd, but it isn't the same performance as the cd. I actually think the performances on the cd were way better for some reason...
The songs on the CD were all taken from different concerts on the 1994 tour. The songs on the DVD were all taken from Earl's Court. Plus if you have an old CD of the performance and the new DVD of it I think they digitally remastered the picture and sound for the DVD.

Mykewl
August 21st, 2006, 03:37 AM
Kewl :)
I always liked Pink Floyd

majesticturkey
August 21st, 2006, 04:00 AM
I like live Floyd a lot more because there is a lot less ambient and strange music than their cds. I dont know if its because I don't do drugs or something but I just hate that crap.

Nah, I don't do drugs either, and I love the ambient and uniqueness to their music. It's not for everyone, but they do things involving sound that nobody else really thinks of. That's what made them so enduring.

GuitarHero
August 21st, 2006, 04:45 AM
I like that kind of stuff mixed into music, not interludes themselves.

TravisNewman
August 21st, 2006, 05:28 AM
I'll probably get shot for this, but... eh.

Pink Floyd were incredibly talented. However, they were so stoned out that there was no emotion in their playing on most songs, so it's just boring. Sorry :)