PDA

View Full Version : Help Needed! Ubuntu Bionic Beaver Boot Problems

tonyleerossjr
September 29th, 2018, 08:57 PM
This has been a very long and strenuous process so bear with me. For the past three days, I've been trying every solution I could find on the internet to no avail. So, I have an Acer Aspire E15 that came with Windows 10. I downloaded Linux Mint and made it a dual boot. Everything was going well. I decided to create a live usb of Ubuntu Bionic Beaver and I fell in love with it. So, I thought, I'd get rid of the dual boot process and make my entire terabyte drive ubuntu 18.04 bionic beaver.

Long story short, I ended up with the entire HDD as unallocated. The only reason I can even send this question is because the live usb ubuntu will boot, but it refuses to boot without the usb plugged in.

Here's a run-down of all I have tried.

I tried installing the ubuntu software from the live usb like normal, like how I did linux mint, it gave me a black screen with a blue box stating that a boot drive could not be found. I tried partitioning the drive through gparted and listing "/" "/home" "swap" etc, same thing. I tried editing the BIOS to accept the grub files, it gave me a new error of saying "no bootable device found." I tried boot-repair and it gave me the new error of booting to a black grub screen that doesn't let me do anything.

I've been working on this for three consecutive days and I'm quite frankly tired of it. I want to use Ubuntu, so besides paying 100 dollars for a windows 10 operating system and starting all over, is there anything I can do?

Bashing-om
September 29th, 2018, 09:12 PM
tonyleerossjr; Hello -

Gots to jump through some hoops - vendor lockin ?
for instance see:
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2390593

way to go