PDA

View Full Version : OS X apps just look so good!

saracen
August 20th, 2006, 06:32 PM
I just saw this new app on digg. It's called djay: http://www.algoriddim.net/index.html Just take a look at the interface... it just looks so nice straight out of the box. I'm hoping that Gnome 3 will have an interface that looks so neat.

GuitarHero
August 20th, 2006, 06:44 PM
Im tired of the osx look and i dont even own a mac.

win_zik
August 20th, 2006, 06:50 PM
What he said, with the only exception that I own a mac.

ComplexNumber
August 20th, 2006, 08:53 PM
what he said. and thats one of the many reason why i won't buy a mac.

fuscia
August 21st, 2006, 12:05 AM
they give you nice stuff to look at while you're waiting for it to do something.

PenguinMan
August 21st, 2006, 12:33 AM
Looks like a cool app...

Don't knock Mac OS X people, because 10.5 Leopard is going to blow Windows Vista out of the water. hahaha

fuscia
August 21st, 2006, 12:46 AM
Looks like a cool app...

Don't knock Mac OS X people, because 10.5 Leopard is going to blow Windows Vista out of the water. hahaha

assuming vista ever makes it out of the harbor.

Donnut
August 21st, 2006, 12:57 AM
I agree whole-heartedly, but have you ever tried other linux desktops? If you don't like gnome, you could always go with KDE or even XFCE, linux is infinately custimizable...

%hMa@?b<C
August 21st, 2006, 01:12 AM
thats why i run a T-ish skin on my GNOME

mrgnash
August 21st, 2006, 01:18 AM
You can recreate this look pretty closely in Gnome if you want to. IF you want to ;)

GuitarHero
August 21st, 2006, 01:27 AM
http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=35753
Theres many others.

Boomy
August 21st, 2006, 01:39 AM
Looks like a cool app, and there is probably nothing similar for Linux, or at least nothing as polished. Linux falls short in music production/DJ apps and imo is probably it's weakest area. The only reason I still have OSX on my laptop is so I can use the awesome music apps I've paid good money for, but part of me is really close to wiping it all and installing Linux on it, because imo OSX is really overhyped, I really find myself missing my Ubuntu when I'm on my Mac.

%hMa@?b<C
August 21st, 2006, 01:51 AM
http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=35753
Theres many others.

that was taken off the site... too bad, it looked cool

K.Mandla
August 21st, 2006, 02:58 AM
What he said.

That brushed steel thing is not to my liking. It was quaint a few years ago, but not any more.

Polygon
August 21st, 2006, 03:16 AM
after going to ubuntu and the ability to change the look of basically everything on ubuntu, its REALLY hard to go back to mac os x and windows where im "locked" into one theme. (unless you download some program which is very hard to use and might and most likely will bork your system and screw it up later on)

zenwhen
August 21st, 2006, 04:49 AM
I owned a Mac for a year, sold it, and don't miss OSX one bit.

kpolice
August 21st, 2006, 07:25 AM
after going to ubuntu and the ability to change the look of basically everything on ubuntu, its REALLY hard to go back to mac os x and windows where im "locked" into one theme. (unless you download some program which is very hard to use and might and most likely will bork your system and screw it up later on)

mmm hard to use? for Windows XP you just either replace/patch a dll or use styleXP and unzip your themes. It's really easy.

for OSX you have ShapeShifter and it's really easy to use but it's $20 bucks.

What I found easy on Linux is to create your own themes, easier than windows or OSX but it could be better.

lzfy
August 21st, 2006, 10:42 AM
I like OSX because everything is so good integrated. Just look at the screenshot, you can view iTunes library and import it directly into the app. And if you don't like the look, just use another theme.

ember
August 21st, 2006, 12:31 PM
You can recreate this look pretty closely in Gnome if you want to. IF you want to ;)

Well - the more interesting question is: Can I make OS X look like Gnome? :)

saracen
August 21st, 2006, 04:17 PM
The vast majority of 3rd party OSX apps just look good. I'm wondering if it's because the ppl who write them take more care in UI design than those who write for other operating systems or if it's the OSX graphical infrastructure (Cocoa) that just allows them to do that with ease.

This is not a "I think OSX is the best OS in the world" thread and I don't think that all Gnome/KDE/Linux apps are badly designed, but as a percentage I would have to say that a far higher percentage of OSX apps 'just look good'.

ubuntu_demon
August 22nd, 2006, 02:23 PM
assuming vista ever makes it out of the harbor.
LOL :-D