PDA

View Full Version : From 17.10 to 18.04.1LTS

aubertinsylvain
September 23rd, 2018, 04:38 PM
Hi all! Give me please the easiest way to change my OS. Thanks

RobGoss
September 23rd, 2018, 07:23 PM
Hello, it is my experience that a clean installation would be the best way to go. If you have any important data you would like to save I would recommend making a complete backup. Best of luck

Autodave
September 23rd, 2018, 07:42 PM
Every 2 years, a long term service release is made. 18.04 was the last one: released during the 4th month of 2018, hence the name 18.04. The next LTS release will be in 2020 during the 4th month. In the meantime, a new, short term release will be issued every 6 months. These short term releases are only supported until the next short term release. However, the LTS releases are supported for 5 years. It is always best to stick with the LTS releases. When it comes time to upgrade one of those, I have always found it easier and quicker to just backup what I need to keep, wipe out what is there, and do a clean install.

Frogs Hair
September 23rd, 2018, 07:50 PM
Upgrade is possible, but very time consuming and whether you upgrade or perform a clean installation you'll still need to backup your data. A bootable USB or DVD will be needed for a clean installation. I consider clean installations the easiest though I have tested the upgrade process successfully many times.

Dennis N
September 23rd, 2018, 09:31 PM
I would try the upgrade first - especially short hop ones to the next version. I've never had one fail to work in the past couple of years, but most were short hops - like 17.10 to 18.04. One was 14.04 to 16.04. I have timed some of these, and times vary from 20 minutes to 50 minutes depending on network and the computer hardware. But compared to a new install, you don't need to spend (probably) an additional 1-2 hours fixing up a new install with adding and setting up applications, making changes in system settings, themes, and so forth. So in my opinion, the upgrade is quicker when you include time to when the whole job is done.

Follow all the standard suggestions about first updating current version completely (I don't think you can't do this any more* with 17.10 due to closed repos, but upgrade may work anyway), disable any PPAs (I found the software-updater will do that for you if you don't). Have backup of your data.

And should the upgrade fail, then you can always go through the fresh install if you can't fix it.

*trying to upgrade 17.10 gives an advisory message (1st attached image). Upgrade button then calculates upgrade to next version and informs you (2nd attached image)