PDA

View Full Version : New to Ubuntu, several questions about preseed

gordonmessmer2
September 17th, 2018, 08:24 PM
I'm struggling to get automated installation working with preseed on 18.04. I've done automatic installation on earlier releases, but no longer have notes, so I may be missing some things.

The desktop ISO doesn't seem to support preseed. Is it expected that only the Server ISO does?

I'm unable to use https:// in the URL. Is that expected? If so, is providing a checksum the only risk mitigation against content injection and modification attacks?

I'm unable to use a URL that includes a hostname. A URL that includes an IP address works, but any URL with a hostname causes an error, "wget: bad address 'the.host.name'". Since I can use an IP address, that suggests that the network is coming up, but the system isn't configuring the resolver. Is that a bug?

Walking through a manual installation using the server URL, I do see the option to install on LVM, but I don't see any option to encrypt it. I mean to use "d-i partman-auto/method string crypto" in the preseed file. Does the server ISO support encrypted installations, or not?