PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Dual Boot on seperate drives

schembrigiuseppe
September 16th, 2018, 11:16 AM
I've been experiencing problems booting my PC after ubuntu updates (probably when kernel is involved), most of time bootrepair could solve the issue. Last time I solved it through a fresh installation of ubuntu 18.04 on sda5. I wonder if I could do something to improve my PC in order to prevent problems in future.
I've got some question about the bios settings too: should I enable Legacy mode? Should I disable fast boot?

This is the result of running
sudo parted -l

Modello: ATA ST1000DM003-1ER1 (scsi)
Disco /dev/sda: 1000GB
Dimensione del settore (logica/fisica): 512B/4096B
Tabella delle partizioni: gpt
Flag del disco:

Numero Inizio Fine Dimensione File system Nome Flag
1 1049kB 106MB 105MB fat32 EFI system partition avvio, esp
2 106MB 240MB 134MB Microsoft reserved partition msftres
3 240MB 64,4GB 64,2GB ntfs Basic data partition msftdata
4 64,4GB 73,0GB 8590MB linux-swap(v1)
5 73,0GB 202GB 129GB ext4
6 202GB 1000GB 798GB ntfs msftdata

Modello: ATA ST1000DM003-1ER1 (scsi)
Disco /dev/sdb: 1000GB
Dimensione del settore (logica/fisica): 512B/4096B
Tabella delle partizioni: gpt
Flag del disco:

Numero Inizio Fine Dimensione File system Nome Flag
1 210MB 212MB 2097kB bios_grub
2 212MB 140GB 140GB ext4
3 140GB 148GB 8094MB linux-swap(v1)
4 148GB 1000GB 852GB ntfs msftdata

In sdb2 ubuntu 14.04 was installed through an image from an old machine. If I remember well it was a bios installation with an MBR in the old PC.
In sda3 Windows
In sda5 Ubuntu 18.04.1

Thanks for any suggestion

TheFu
September 16th, 2018, 01:13 PM
Windows required UEFI booting with GPT partitions. If you are booting Windows with UEFI, then Ubuntu should be booted that way too.
It is recommended that you disable Windows fast-boot with a dual-boot system. Someone else will need to post links about that and other recommendations for Windows in a dual-boot setup.

The easy way to make text output readable in the forums is to use "code tags" - Adv Reply (#). It is preferred. You can edit any posts you've made to fix it.

yancek
September 16th, 2018, 01:15 PM
You should run boot repair with the Create BootInfo Summary option and post the link given as it will have a lot of more useful information than you have posted. You have an EFI partition so you should have both windows and Ubuntu install EFI. You show a bios_grub partition on sdb which means an install in Legacy/MBR mode. Not sure what's up with that as you say you have 18.04 as well as 14.04 installed on sda. You need to post the output of boot repair. Too many questions, too little information.

Mark Phelps
September 16th, 2018, 05:43 PM
Just so you know -- Fast Boot is not the same as Fast Startup. The first is a UEFI boot option; the second is a Windows Hibernation setting. While they often achieve similar results, they are entirely different settings.

Win10 has enabled a new hibernation process known as Fast Startup -- which is different from Fast Boot. This is supposed to dramatically speed up the booting process, but in some PCs, it actually slows it down or causes it to hang.

Disabling Fast Startup might fix any booting problems and is also then allows access to the Windows filesystem from Linux.

There are two ways to disable FastStartup in Win10: (1) through the Control Panel, and (2) through an elevated command prompt.

Control Panel - Open Control Panel --> Power Options.
Select "Choose what the power buttons do"
Select "Change settings that are currently unavailable"
At the bottom of the Window, under Shutdown settings, uncheck the box regarding fast startup

Elevated command prompt - run the following command:
REG ADD "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Power" /V HiberbootEnabled /T REG_dWORD /D 0 /F

In both cases, reboot Windows.

NOW, FastStartup is disabled.

schembrigiuseppe
September 17th, 2018, 06:23 PM
Just to be clear I can boot with no problem at the moment. But I had many problems in the last few years, after ubuntu updates, and I wonder if it could be caused by a PC misconfiguration.

Here is the bootrepair info:
http://paste.ubuntu.com/p/kktDZZqKKZ/

thanks

oldfred
September 17th, 2018, 09:06 PM
It looks like you need lots of housecleaning. but make sure you have good backups, in case you houseclean something you really want.

Specifically you have many Boot-Repairs in ESP, sda1. Best to remove all but most current.

You have lots of old kernels. So it looks like you upgraded without housecleaning before upgrade.
And now those kernels may not be in dpkg for ease of removing.
Not only are kernels in /boot, but you may have files in other places.

Start with these:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
apt-get autoremove
sudo apt-get autoclean
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Determine your current kernel, 18.04 only keeps 2 by default now:
uname -a

then check all these places for old kernels.

ls /var/cache/apt/archives/linux-image*
ls -al /usr/src/
ls -al /lib/modules/
ls -al /boot/
dpkg -l | grep linux-
ls -al /vmlinuz* /initrd.img*

You then probably have many old log files and other things to houseclean.

RecoverLostDiskSpace
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RecoverLostDiskSpace
HOWTO: Recover Lost Disk Space - drs305
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1122670
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=898573
HOWTO: Cleaning up all those unnecessary junk files...
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=140920

Caution deborphan will delete anything you manually installed. See comment:

schembrigiuseppe
September 18th, 2018, 11:59 AM
Thanks I may mark the post as solved.
Looking at my Grub menu I thought that it might not be normal to stack a kernel on top of the other.
I'll try to follow your suggestions, I kind of had the feeling that a tidy up was needed but it's not easy for me to clean up (my flat too), always scared to do something wrong.
I do not understand how boot repair logs are still there after I did a fresh installation of Ubuntu 18.04 on sda from an usb key.
I guess The boot partitions are not formatted as the one with / as mount point.

Thanks again to all of you people I had a very fast support on this forum.

oldfred
September 18th, 2018, 03:02 PM
If you did a new clean install, you would not have the old kernels in /.
Or did not not check the format box? Or choose to save your info?

Best to have good backup particularly of /home and anything custom you may have changed.
Then clean install & restore your data & configurations. If you added a lot of apps good to export list before install from old system and reimport list to add back all those apps.