PDA

View Full Version : Installing Ubuntu/Lubuntu On An Ancient Workstation

LIOTB
September 16th, 2018, 02:31 AM
Hello Community!

Thank you a head of time for all of your help!

QUESTION: How do I get Ubuntu/Lubuntu to run on an ancient HP xw8000 workstation with both CPUs (not cores) running along with all 4 threads (1 core each hyperthreaded)? If Ubuntu/Lubuntu can't do it then which distro would?

STORY: UPDATE I tried Lubuntu/Ubuntu 16 and Mint 18 and all I get is the error pictured, for all three, after trying to load. Also, after the menu screen regardless of what I chose the program then only utilizes the top left corner while loading. See attached pictures. (The only thing that has worked is MX linux and even it's slightly glitchy.)

I can't get Lubuntu 18 32bit to work correctly and was told I couldn't get Ubunutu to work either when I went to use it. I even tried mint, when I run mint 19 cinnamon 32bit from the CD it takes forever to load/boot, then things don't run correctly. For instance, the words and icons on the "start" menu are choppy and the icons on the task bar are not visible until I mouse-over them or the screen wigs when I click on things. When I run it from the install, the windows often are scrambled and it locks up in the first few minutes every time.

THE MACHINE (ancient): HP XW8000 workstation
It has two of the stock 3.2 Xeon (single core each, hyperthreaded).
Tower, not rack.
[HP Support page (Specs): https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00347879]

Thank you again for all of your help and time!