PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] 18.04 Teamviewer problems

Robbyx
September 12th, 2018, 09:14 PM
I can not get TV 13 to load its GUI. I think it may be to do with running Wayland. Of course if you know a better approach please let me know how.

I no longer see a settings wheel when logging into Ubuntu. Just name and password. I had intended to choose xorg but I can not find how to choose it. Any ideas please?

TheFu
September 12th, 2018, 10:06 PM
Before login, click on the gear. Choose xorg.
xorg is the default for 18.04, so you had to go out of your way to get Wayland running.

Robbyx
September 12th, 2018, 10:52 PM
My problem is the gear is not there. So there is nothing to click on! As a shortcut out of this problem: Is there a command line that will advise if I am running under xorg?

TheFu
September 12th, 2018, 11:18 PM
$ pgrep Xorg
That should return a PID.

BTW, most screen sharing/capture tools don't work with Wayland. I think that was the main reason 18.04 didn't ship with Wayland by default.

Robbyx
September 12th, 2018, 11:21 PM
Does this mean it is running xorg?

robins@robins-desktop:~$ pgrep Xorg

TheFu
September 12th, 2018, 11:44 PM
Looks like you are running 2 instances. What does top show?
Do you have 2 video cards?

No gear on the login screen? How do you change between DEs or Window Managers?

Robbyx
September 13th, 2018, 07:47 PM
Looks like you are running 2 instances. What does top show?
Do you have 2 video cards?

No gear on the login screen? How do you change between DEs or Window Managers?

I used to be able to move between window managers via the gear on the login screen. It no longer shows.

I do not have 2 video cards.

This is the latest result of the command:
pgrep Xorg

The following from Htop shows the result of filtering on zorg

https://i.imgur.com/JcSkGkX.png

Robbyx
September 13th, 2018, 07:53 PM
Is the absence of the gear symbol anything to do with the uefi setup in the boot section?

TheFu
September 13th, 2018, 09:11 PM
Please post text, not images whenever possible. Lots of people pay by the byte for downloads.

Is the absence of the gear symbol anything to do with the uefi setup in the boot section?

Doubtful. It is the login manager. You can install another DE/WM and that should install the login manage for that other DE/WM. It might reset the gear icon. I'm guessing. Don't know.

Robbyx
September 13th, 2018, 09:14 PM
Please post text, not images whenever possible. Lots of people pay by the byte for downloads.

As you may have guessed, I could not copy the text and so had to fiddle around taking a screen shot and then hosting it on an appropriate site!

Robbyx
September 13th, 2018, 09:19 PM
Now that I know that I am running 18.04 with Xorg I wonder what is causing Teamviewer 13 not to load its gui. Would you be willing to help me trouble shoot it?

BTW: did the screen shot of htop explain why I appear to be running 2*xorg?

TheFu
September 13th, 2018, 09:58 PM
Now that I know that I am running 18.04 with Xorg I wonder what is causing Teamviewer 13 not to load its gui. Would you be willing to help me trouble shoot it?

BTW: did the screen shot of htop explain why I appear to be running 2*xorg?

I know that top output can be redirected to a text file. I'd be surprised if htop couldn't.

I won't use teamviewer (security concerns with 3rd parties) and don't consider 18.04 ready for use at this point for my needs. I use different solutions for remote GUIs, but what I would use isn't workable for everyone.

Happy to share what I know. I only replied because Wayland is an easy answer. Turned out to be wrong. Sorry.

Robbyx
September 13th, 2018, 11:49 PM
Thank you for your kind offer. If you come across a solution please let me know. From what I have read the problem is connected to Wine as TV uses wine in ubuntu. It has been suggested that the GUI that is not loading is the wine Gui. I do have Wine working in that I use a 32bit password manager via Wine. I am therefore unclear what more I can expect from wine.I have installed dependancies for both 32bit and 64AMD, of course, without success with TV.

I have posted a question in another conference asking if it is possible and easy to access a windows 8.1's desktop from ubuntu 18.04 as I noted that windows has a remote access switch.

Autodave
September 14th, 2018, 12:41 AM
I run Teamviewer on 5 different machines: all running 18.04. I would try removing it and re-installing it. I did not have any problems at all getting it to work.

TheFu
September 14th, 2018, 02:12 PM
My solution is to use ssh and x2go for over the internet and straight X/Windows remote GUIs on the LAN. The remote system needs to allow ssh on some port for x2go. I use high ports and only key-based authentication. On the LAN, ssh with X11forward allowed works very easy. It just requires too much bandwidth for WAN use.

I gave up on WINE years ago when it became more hassle than just keeping Win7 inside a VM to run the 3 windows programs I still need. I run Windows media center inside that VM.

Autodave
September 14th, 2018, 05:40 PM
I never heard of TV using Wine. 4 of 5 of my machines do not have Wine installed on them, Considering the extremely small size and quick installation of TV, I find it difficult to believe it runs on Wine.

Robbyx
September 15th, 2018, 12:28 AM
I run Teamviewer on 5 different machines: all running 18.04. I would try removing it and re-installing it. I did not have any problems at all getting it to work.

I have done that previously. For a day I managed to get TV to load and then it stopped working. Are there any other settings such as in your UEFI that may be the cause of your success?

Autodave
September 15th, 2018, 11:43 AM
I have done that previously. For a day I managed to get TV to load and then it stopped working. Are there any other settings such as in your UEFI that may be the cause of your success?

None. I have been nusing TV for about 5 years now, across many different machines, and have never had an issue on 16.04 or 18.04.

Adam_GUI
September 15th, 2018, 11:59 AM
Open a terminal and cd to "/opt/teamviewer/tv_bin/script"
Then, "./teamviwer"

What does it output when trying to paint the program UI?

Robbyx
September 15th, 2018, 11:25 PM
robins@robins-desktop:/opt/teamviewer/tv_bin/script$ ./teamviewer

Init...
CheckCPU: SSE2 support: yes
Checking setup...
Launching TeamViewer ...
Launching TeamViewer GUI ...
robins@robins-desktop:/opt/teamviewer/tv_bin/script$

Adam_GUI
September 16th, 2018, 12:34 AM
robins@robins-desktop:/opt/teamviewer/tv_bin/script$ ./teamviewer

Init...
CheckCPU: SSE2 support: yes
Checking setup...
Launching TeamViewer ...
Launching TeamViewer GUI ...
robins@robins-desktop:/opt/teamviewer/tv_bin/script$

No error and no draw, huh?
I'd side on purging the program and reinstalling.

"sudo apt-get purge teamviewer"
This will remove all your teamviewer configuration files along with the program files.

Then, reinstall and try again.

Robbyx
September 16th, 2018, 10:04 PM
I reinstalled, and tried again. Sadly I have the same problem ie GUI not loading.

Robbyx
October 19th, 2018, 07:03 PM
Could I please have some help with this correspondence:

I have been having correspondence with Teamviewer over my inability to load their program in Ubuntu 18.04.

Latest reply from TV

It looks like you are using some sort of firewall or other tool that limits network access to localhost, e.g. iptables, SELinux, AppArmor or similar. The only thing I see is that our processes are unable to connect to each other. On a new, stock Ubuntu installation you should not have such

My response:

Re: Further log files
I can only see in synaptic the Ufw standard firewall as being installed. I can not find it in the application lists as a program to run. The IP tables are ticked as being installed (Ufw is the front end of them) but I do not know what they are set at.

I will take your suggestion to the Ubuntu support conference and see if anyone can help me open ufw and also give me some insight into the apparent existence of a firewall that is blocking TV. It would help me if you could propose some command lines to discover what is doing the blocking.

What is likely to be blocking TV13?

I have just written again to TV as follows.

Firewall check
I have just run the following. Does it back up your contention that the firewall is blocking TV13? Please bear in mind that my problem with TV13 is at the loading stage when it is unable to load the graphics.

sudo iptables -L [sudo] password for robins:

sudo iptables -L

[sudo] password for robins:
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
target prot opt source destination
ACCEPT all -- anywhere anywhere
ACCEPT all -- anywhere anywhere state RELATED,ESTABLISHED

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
ACCEPT all -- anywhere anywhere state RELATED,ESTABLISHED
vpnacallowedip all -- anywhere anywhere
lan all -- anywhere anywhere
DROP all -- anywhere anywhere
lan udp -- 192.168.0.0/16 anywhere udp spts:bootps:bootpc dpts:bootps:bootpc
lan udp -- 10.0.0.0/8 anywhere udp spts:bootps:bootpc dpts:bootps:bootpc
lan udp -- 172.16.0.0/12 anywhere udp spts:bootps:bootpc dpts:bootps:bootpc

Chain lan (4 references)
ACCEPT all -- 192.168.0.0/16 192.168.0.0/16
ACCEPT all -- 192.168.0.0/16 10.0.0.0/8
ACCEPT all -- 192.168.0.0/16 172.16.0.0/12
ACCEPT all -- 10.0.0.0/8 192.168.0.0/16
ACCEPT all -- 10.0.0.0/8 10.0.0.0/8
ACCEPT all -- 10.0.0.0/8 172.16.0.0/12
ACCEPT all -- 172.16.0.0/12 192.168.0.0/16
ACCEPT all -- 172.16.0.0/12 10.0.0.0/8
ACCEPT all -- 172.16.0.0/12 172.16.0.0/12

Chain vpnacallowedip (1 references)
ACCEPT all -- anywhere no.rdns-yet.ukservers.com

Robbyx
October 20th, 2018, 04:03 PM
In the hope I get a solution to this TV problem I have opened a new topic just on the firewall aspect at

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2404132&p=13810084#post13810084

Autodave
October 21st, 2018, 06:45 PM
Are you using a VPN? Just read another post where the person fixed their TV13 by disabling VPN.

Robbyx
October 21st, 2018, 07:51 PM
Thank you. Disabling my VPN appears to be the solution.