PDA

View Full Version : Good evening, good morning & good afternoon!

cx40hero
September 12th, 2018, 09:11 AM
Good evening, good morning & good afternoon!
My name is CX40 and after many years of toying with theidea, I’m finally taking the plunge and installing Ubuntu as my sole OS at home.
The decision has been made after my laptop died lastmonth and I had to pick up a budget PC from the local computer shop, one thatthey had managed to shoehorn Windows 10 onto…. and well…. It’s shocking….
Add to that and the HD died after only 3 weeks!
Anyway, last night, with a virgin 320GB HD greeting me whenI got home my quest began….. SLOWLY!

With my only access to the internet being my phone,creating a current boot disk or USB was impossible without outside help….. butthen I remembered my random draw of computer stuff, power supplies, floppydrives… and…. a 14.04 LTS disk!

It took a few hours of installation and updates but I’mcurrently sat at 16.04 after the first step of upgrades. Before leaving forwork 18.04 decided to wave at me and offer its services so that’s in progressnow and hopefully will be most of the way there by the time I get home (I’msure there is some clicking towards the end of the instillation like with 16.04…).

And that’s where I am now!
I can’t wait to get started when I get home as I haveloads of research to do.

Although not the most powerful PC, I hoping it will besufficient enough to use as a screen capture and basic editing device… But thoseare plans for further down the road !

Current Specs:

Acer Aspire AX3810
CPU E5200
2GB DDR3
320GB HDD
X4500 Graphics

A low spec system, but enough to get me on my way!

Irihapeti
September 12th, 2018, 09:30 AM
Moved to The Cafe, as it's not a request for support.