PDA

View Full Version : installation Windows XP

fyfyta
September 11th, 2018, 10:41 PM
Hi, I have a Windows XP up and running, I was looking for advice as to what Installation I should put on it?
Possibly Lubuntu, (which version).
Also can I download it and run it along side XP.
Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Best regards,
fyfyta.

yancek
September 11th, 2018, 11:44 PM
It depends on how old the computer actually is. It might not be capable of booting a current UBuntu/Lubuntu. POsting the hardware specs such as processor, RAM, etc. should help someone to advise you.

fyfyta
September 11th, 2018, 11:59 PM
Thanks yancek, from what I can see,

XP professional 2002, service pack 3.
Intel (R)
Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00 GHz
2.99GHz, 1.49 GB of RAM
Physical Address of Extension

Thanks again, it may need an earlier version of Lubuntu that is light.
As mentioned before this is all new to me.

Cheers fyfyta.

Autodave
September 12th, 2018, 02:10 AM
Current (18.04) of Lubuntu should be OK on there. Just make sure to get the 32 bit one.

fyfyta
September 12th, 2018, 06:00 PM
Thanks Autodave, I'll give that version a go.
Thanks,
Fyfyta.

oldos2er
September 12th, 2018, 07:28 PM
Running outdated operating systems is a recipe for disaster, if you intend to connect to the Internet.

fyfyta
September 12th, 2018, 09:38 PM
what do you suggest, this is all new to me,

Thanks,
Fyfyta

LHammonds
September 13th, 2018, 01:36 PM
The suggestion is to not use Windows XP if you can avoid it. Not because we are anti-Windows but because many of the best anti-virus packages will no longer install and work on the outdated platform. There are no more WindowsUpdate patches to fix vulnerabilities. And there are a ton of known vulnerabilities.

So like oldos2er said, if you are going to run WinXP, do not browse the Internet with it. Also, be sure to configure your firewall to block all incoming traffic. Windows tends to let all traffic through if on the same IP subnet.

LHammonds