PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Strange situation after upgrade 16.04 -> 18.04 with Nvidia

cscj01
September 5th, 2018, 12:32 AM
After using the Debian way https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-upgrade-to-ubuntu-18-04-lts-bionic-beaver to upgrade, I have some minor problems that I have already fixed. However, I got the following Crash report:

Sorry, a problem occurred while installing software.
Package: Nvidia-kernel-common-390 390.48-0ubuntu3
The title in the report says:

package nvidia-kernel-common-390 390.480ubuntu3 failed to install/upgrade: trying to overwrite '/lib/udev/rules.d/71-nvidia.rules', which is also in package nvidia-384 384.130-0ubuntu0.16.04.1
There is other information, but if I check my NVIDIA X Server Settings, my driver version shows 390.48. All the other settings seem fine.

If I check Synaptic, I see that all the libnvidia*390 packages are installed. Synaptic also shows nvidia-367, nvidia-375, and nvidia-384 are installed as transitional packages. If I try to install the supposedly failed install
sudo apt install nvidia-kernel-common-390 I get
nvidia-kernel-common-390 is already the newest version (390.48-0ubuntu3).
nvidia-kernel-common-390 set to manually installed.

Everything seems to be working fine. Is it possible that when I took care of one of the errors shown on the install dialog that I corrected this crash? Is there a way to tell if I need to make any adjustments?

BTW, I have been using Ubuntu since 8.04 and have always had massive problems with upgrades. I finally started doing clean installs. I decided to try the instructions in the above link to see if it worked better. Voila! It did. This was one of the easiest upgrades I have ever done. And I have a good number of PPA's as well as many additional programs installed.