PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Cannot run USB installer for Ubuntu 18.04 on HP Elitebook 1050 G1

buzzcook
September 1st, 2018, 05:16 PM
Hello everyone

I can run the Ubuntu 17.10 installer but I can't get the Ubuntu 18.04 installer (AMD 64 desktop image) to run on my new HP Elitebook 1050 G1. I want to set up a dual boot (Windows 10 / Ubuntu).

I created the live Ubuntu USB installer both with Rufus and Unetbootin but the error is the same.

I presume it's something to do with the BIOS / UEFI settings for secure boot, which are mentioned in so many other threads.

The initial problem was that I couldn't even boot from the USB stick so I changed the following 2 BIOS / UEFI settings:

1) Advanced -> Boot Options -> Fast Boot: OFF (was ON by default)

2) Advanced → Secure Boot Configuration → Configure Legacy Support and Secure Boot: Legacy Support Disable and Secure Boot Disable (was "Legacy Support Disable and Secure Boot Enable" by default):

Now it starts booting from the USB installer but then just stops with a blinking cursor at the bottom of the screen:

I haven't changed BIOS Sure Start yet because I don't know what to do, but it might be a possibility:

Any ideas how I can get this installation running? Thanks!

Update 2nd Sept after I updated the BIOS:
New message with lots of ACPI errors, starting with "ACPI error ... Namespace lookup failure":

buzzcook
September 2nd, 2018, 10:13 PM
This is the fix that helped me to get the installer running with Ubuntu 18.04, editing the line starting "linux /casper/vmlinuz***" to add "nomodeset" after "... splash":
https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln306327/manual-nomodeset-kernal-boot-line-option-for-linux-booting?lang=en