PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] No time and date in top panel in 18.04

jlh68
August 26th, 2018, 10:44 PM
Upgraded netbook to 18.04. My top panel does not have the time and date shown. I have gone through all the menus and I can not find one that makes it display. Where do I look?
I have installed gnome tweak in addition to the" comes with the OS" controls.

I have checked to turn off the seconds in the time, but with no time displayed I can not tell if it works.

jlh68
August 26th, 2018, 10:52 PM
Well now I feel bad about posting the above. Ubuntu moved the date and time from where it was in 16.04 which I have been using for two years, and just did not observe the date/time in the middle of the top panel, instead of its old place on the far right side. I sure wonder why the developers have to "just" move things around to confuse some of us. I am slowly working through all these 18.04 changes before upgrading my System76 Laptop which is my main computer.

deadflowr
August 27th, 2018, 05:01 AM
The date-time setting in the middle of the panel is how it's always been on the gnome shell.
Unity on the other hand has always used the more common right side location.
Where the older version of gnome tended to place it.

It's one of several things which you'll find you need to adjust yourself for.

Two quick things I think you can do to make life a little easier on yourself is one
Install the package Gnome Tweaks ( It should be gnome-tweaks in apt and Gnome Tweaks in Software store)
Peruse the Software stores Extensions section; (extensions offer you a fair amount of customization so you can tweak various settings and designs to fit your needs.
Or at least allow you to set it more tolerable for yourself if need be)
You can then control added extensions through Gnome Tweaks (should show up as Tweaks in the App menu system)

Here's a couple links on gnome3 that might be helpful:
https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/GnomeShell/CheatSheet
https://wiki.gnome.org/Gnome3CheatSheet

jlh68
August 28th, 2018, 03:20 AM
Thanks, Gnome Tweaks was the first application I installed after upgrade. On my Unity system (laptop) I have Unity Tweaks, Gnome Tweaks, and Ubuntu Tweaks. I have found them quite useful over the years. On my netbook of course I have Gnome Tweaks, and the replacement for the Ubuntu Tweaks, the cleaner.

As for where the time and date is located, the center is fine now that I know where to look for it. I was so focused, that I thought it was missing on the right, then I found it in the center.