PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] not allowed to install apps from the Software center

jlh68
August 23rd, 2018, 11:04 PM
One my AcerONE 725 Netbook, I just upgraded from 16.04.5 to 18.04.1. I seem to not have permission to install apps from the Software Center, so why not?

So far this clean install of 18.04.1 has been a bear, with lots of problems. Including the WiFi being on and off it drops out often. This does not happen with my System76 laptop. I did not have it before upgrade either.

I have had trouble with UbuntuONE Singlesign In with the Acer. I have not gotten all the settings made yet, so I do not know what other problems I will encounter.

LHammonds
August 23rd, 2018, 11:25 PM
I do not run the desktop version of Ubuntu but just from reading what you typed, I am a bit confused.

You said you upgraded from 16.04.5 to 18.04.1 which I assume was an in-place upgrade on top of your existing OS.

The next line down, you say "clean install of 18.04.1" as if you re-formatted the drive and installed 18.04.1 (and not on top of an existing OS).

Did you do both or just the upgrade path?

Regarding the inability to install apps, is your account able to sudo? I do not know about the desktop GUI but to install packages on a server, it requires elevated rights via sudo. It is possible the upgrade wiped out who was able to sudo or the process changed.

LHammonds

oldos2er
August 24th, 2018, 01:15 AM
I have had trouble with UbuntuONE Singlesign In with the Acer.

Questions regarding SSO should be posted in the Resolution Center (https://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=123).

wildmanne39
August 24th, 2018, 01:56 AM
I believe it is related to this, it is broken in 18.04, this link refers to the unity 7 desktop but I also have this issue in Ubuntu 18.04 with gnome that was upgraded from unity, I have a clean install of gnome that does not have this issue.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1025923/ubuntu-18-04-unity-cant-login-to-my-ubuntu-sso-account-from-unity-control-cen?rq=1

jlh68
August 24th, 2018, 02:31 AM
I started an upgrade from 16.04 to 18.04, but it seemed to be taking forever and looked like it was stopped. It was late (or early in the morning) so I shut it down. This morning I could not get it to boot at all, so I had to do a clean install. Luckily I did not have many files on the Netbook, so I basically lost all my settings. Since I have gone in and arround the UbuntuOne SS and changed my email and password, finally got it accepted by UbuntuOne and now I am good on login to UbuntuONE SS.

wildmanne39
August 24th, 2018, 03:11 AM
See my previous post there is a workaround suggested until there is a fix and if you need help please start your own thread.

Thanks