PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Thunderbird mail

jhboards
August 20th, 2018, 01:01 AM
After recent Ubuntu updates, my Thunderbird Mail server setting were corrupted. I am trying to verify my TB password on 1 account but I cannot find the TB password page. It used to be [Ubuntu TB] Edit > Preferences > Security but now there is no password area/option. Ideas please.

lisati
August 20th, 2018, 02:06 AM
I see what you mean. I had a look around Edit->Account Settings as well and couldn't see a place to save passwords there either.

When I have issues logging into an email account with Thunderbird, a dialog box sometimes pops up and usually gives me an option to enter a "New" password.

jhboards
August 20th, 2018, 02:09 AM
Mine does pop up too, but does not work or save it. And for the record, the [Ubuntu]Firefox security does not host the em passwords.

jhboards
August 20th, 2018, 04:07 AM
Fixed.

Who designed this interface??? You have to click on the word "passwords" in the upper line "Junk E-mail Scams Antivirus Passwords", THEN the "saved passwords" option displays. There is no "tab" or other way to see that these are clickable links. Just a string of words that [to me] appear to be a title bar.

The same update that turned this off by default also changed my TB Gmail accounts outgoing server settings from "normal password" to "0auth2" authentication method and also changed the passwords to long, random strings. WTF? This is getting to be Like Windows, where the "updates" disable or blow out the screen saver and other settings. Ugh!

Here is what I could not see before:

walts48
August 20th, 2018, 02:55 PM
What version of Thunderbird?

I'm having no problems with Ubuntu's build of Thunderbird 52.9.1.

That interface has been in place for many versions, designed by the Thunderbird developers.

Still waiting for the update to 60.0 which was released 2 weeks ago. Maintainer on vacation?

halogen2
August 20th, 2018, 05:06 PM
You have to click on the word "passwords" in the upper line "Junk E-mail Scams Antivirus Passwords", THEN the "saved passwords" option displays. There is no "tab" or other way to see that these are clickable links. Just a string of words that [to me] appear to be a title bar.
They're supposed to be tabs. I too have noticed that Mozilla-based GTK3 applications don't style tabs properly in Ubuntu 18.04.

As a workaround for this Mozilla/Thunderbird bug, you could use userChrome.css (http://kb.mozillazine.org/UserChrome.css) to implement some kind of visual indication of tab and tabpanel elements.