PDA

View Full Version : Our future, whe're our freedom? Free Software in danger?

ubuntu27
August 20th, 2006, 04:07 AM
I just had to post this.

First let me grab your attention by quoting someone:

"The consequences of Linux not supporting DRM would be that fixed-purpose consumer electronics and Windows PCs would be the sole entertainment platforms available, ... Linux would be further relegated to use in servers and business computers, since it would not be providing the multimedia technologies demanded by consumers.”

-Jeff Ayers, representative of RealNetworks

NOw visit this site:

http://www.lobby4linux.com/WordPress/?p=94

So what I mean is that, Are we really heading to the direction whenre the world will be only using Windows? Seems like any day Apple will be gone also... or they could become partner with Microsoft. Lunux will be left out becouse of political cause.
Could it be possible??

I invite you guys and girls to discuss this topic.

VirtuAlex
August 20th, 2006, 04:38 AM
Freedom does not come "for free". You have to fight for it. Viva Che!

Boomy
August 20th, 2006, 06:04 AM
Since when is DRM a technology demanded by consumers? wtf....

TravisNewman
August 20th, 2006, 06:07 AM
Since when is DRM a technology demanded by consumers? wtf....
Since almost all media formats are full of it.

Boomy
August 20th, 2006, 06:51 AM
I've never encountered it. ;)

argie
August 20th, 2006, 02:50 PM
I don't know. I can see Linux gaining much ground in developing (3rd world?) countries.

If what I understand is right, this DRM stuff is only for stuff you buy from the internet? Like iTunes and all? I don't see people buying stuff like that much here.

blastus
August 20th, 2006, 03:39 PM
If what I understand is right, this DRM stuff is only for stuff you buy from the internet? Like iTunes and all? I don't see people buying stuff like that much here.

No, the big media companies, Microsoft, Apple and a whole army of others want DRM on everything on every possible means of distributing content. This includes integrating DRM into all software (operating systems, media players, office software...) and all hardware (motherboards, CPU, video cards, audio cards, monitors, TVs, DVD players, mobile devices...) in all configurations on all platforms.

Tomosaur
August 20th, 2006, 03:44 PM
DRM is the biggest con in entertainment history, and should never be allowed to become the basis of media entertainment. It is not demanded by consumers, it is demanded, and forced upon us, by massive organisations who are determined to line their pockets with more money. DRM, almost by definition, ties specific media formats to hardware, and the end result of this will be that free media formats are impossible to use. This is intentionally inhibiting open-source software, and forcing people to buy into something which strips them of their freedom.

yigal.weinstein
January 31st, 2007, 10:06 AM
The choosing of the right form of entertainment is at issue. DRM is a decision to say the final product of a project is worth $$$ and also is so unique that it cannot legally be copied. Yes? I say boycott any product that has this type of restriction on it unless it really is divinity in a bottle. People in all parts of the world need to be supported financially so they can eat, have homes to sleep under, and mates to lie and play with if possible. Entertainment in general makes up in many ways for the ritual practices of past years that religion had preeminence in, fighting and dying in wars, or dying in of ill health at a young age for various reasons.

Entertainment is not just enjoyable it points to how we spend the free time we have. It is also meant as a means to cool the mental computer so that we can be more productive. It is also a way to earn a living. The fight of DRM is not only who owns what, but who is earning what because of what.

Kateikyoushi
January 31st, 2007, 10:20 AM
No matter what, I am not going to buy a 200USD OS just to be able to do something with my computer what it already could, I rather look for other platforms if nothing works out then I have to live without their content.
We vote with our vallets and I ain't vote for DRM, except if I can stream HD videos to my PS3 for 1-2 USD.

No BR or HDDVD for me I learned that lesson on my DVD collection.

ushaba
January 31st, 2007, 10:59 AM
these people are right, if you don't like something, look elsewhere. the basic problem is that if you continue in pirating things with drm or whatever, you're indicating that there is still a demand for something you refuse to pay for. the better option is to create a separate world entirely, where you can get music without drm, open source, creative commons, etc. a lot of musicians would love your attention and you'd be just as well to support them than to support top 100 musicians.