jgw
August 15th, 2018, 04:42 AM
I just installed 18/04.1 on my laptop from the internet (not a dvd) My system:
hp laptop
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2540M CPU @ 2.60GHz
Memory 3988MB (2440MB used)
Machine Type Notebook
Operating System Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS

I used the directions found at: https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-upgrade-to-ubuntu-18-04-lts-bionic-beaver
In re-reading this it then had a link to https://linuxconfig.org/things-to-do-after-installing-ubuntu-18-04-bionic-beaver-linux which had a link to https://linuxconfig.org/8-best-ubuntu-desktop-environments-18-04-bionic-beaver-linux
In that last they had a link to installing the gnome desktop (as well as other iterations of ubuntu 18.04 which I found interesting.

I also did:
greg@greg-laptop:~$ unity --version
unity 7.5.0
greg@greg-laptop:~$ sudo apt purge ubuntu-unity-desktop
[sudo] password for greg:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package 'ubuntu-unity-desktop' is not installed, so not removed
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

So, I have a unity version but no unity

Apparently the update I did left out the supposed gnome desktop from the getgo. I think I will do all the rest of the stuff and see what happens.

It seems to be working ok but it is also a lot different from the upgrades I did on my other computers. For instance, the docker. What I seem to have, in lieu of the gnome docker is a launch bar and it may be the unity docker. System settings is also much different.

What I would like to know is what I have done and what I now have as it seems to be much different. There is also a program called qpdfview and I am wondering what that is. It says itgs a document viewer but seems to have a lot of capacity for a viewer.

I also googled 'docker'. The top item was directions to install docker. I did that and then thought I had best stop right there and get some help before I really screwed things up.

Thoughts?

Impavidus
August 15th, 2018, 09:26 AM
Things change. Unity has been dropped in favour of gnome shell, which changes the appearance. qpdfview is just one of about a dozen pdf viewers available from the official repositories. Different releases and different flavours install different viewers by default. A fresh install replaces the old default applications by the new defaults, an upgrade just upgrades the old default applications (and may add the new defaults alongside).

jgw
August 15th, 2018, 07:05 PM
Thanks for the reply

I guess I wasn't clear. I am still running unity on my laptop after my upgrade. My system settings, for instance, are exactly the same as they were when I was using 16.04. When I installed and took a look at gnome tweak there was not a line for extensions. In other words, I upgraded, from the internet, from 16.04.1 to 18.04.1 when it was done I checked and I was told I was now running 18.04 I checked again this morning and got:
greg@greg-laptop:~$ lsb_release -a
LSB Version: core-9.20170808ubuntu1-noarch:printing-9.20170808ubuntu1-noarch:security-9.20170808ubuntu1-noarch
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS
Release: 18.04
Codename: bionic

My problem, for starters is that the upgrade, from the net, did not remove unity. The upgrade itself left all my stuff on this laptop but I can always deal with that one. I am tempted to simply put the live 18.04 dvd into this laptop and reinstall but I would prefer not to do that if at all possible. I thought it was a little strange that there was a tutorial on how to install the docker for 18.04 which is why I did it and then stopped because, even though the installation went fine I thought it was strange. I find it really strange. When I upgraded I checked for a new version and assumed, as it took right off, that it was ready for installation - now I am not too sure.

I have checked a number of things like "what to do after installing 18.04", "x number of things to do after installing 18.04", etc. All of those assume there was a replacement of unity to gnome. I don't think that happened when I upgraded (I could be wrong). So, I guess, my question is what am I supposed to do now?

Thoughts?

jgw
August 17th, 2018, 07:12 PM
I surrender. I have now re-installed from a dvd and everything is dandy. Can't really recommend upgrading straight from the internet, strange things happen (probably missed something)
will mark this one as solved