PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Laptop Hangs After Upgrade from 16.04 LTS to 18.04 LTS

geeky-1
August 14th, 2018, 04:26 AM
I just upgraded an old laptop from 16.04 LTS to 18.04 LTS, but after it rebooted, it hangs on the Ubuntu (.....) screen. The hard drive light stops flashing after a while and it initially got stuck on 2 dots loading Ubuntu. I tried rebooting a few more times, but it always freezes up (the second time on 5 white dots, last time on 4 orange dots and 1 white dot). It's an Acer 5630-6288 (Core 2 Duo 1.66 GHz, upgraded to 4 GB and 300 MB 7200 RPM hard drive).

kansasnoob
August 14th, 2018, 04:47 AM
That may have an nVidia Geforce Go 7300 graphics chip, in which case I'd try starting up with the nomodeset boot parameter set temporarily in grub at boot:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/19486/how-do-i-add-a-kernel-boot-parameter

Once booted you'll likely encounter a gorfy screen resolution but you will hopefully be able to find out what graphics chip that laptop has.

If nvidia as I suspect, I also think that uses the nvidia 304 drivers which will probably require using a ppa:

https://launchpad.net/~graphics-drivers/+archive/ubuntu/ppa?field.series_filter=bionic

Autodave
August 14th, 2018, 12:00 PM
I usually don't upgrade because there are usually too many problems to deal with. I just back up everything that I need to save to an external source and do a clean install.

If that machine has the Nvidia card in it, you are probably going to have to use the nouveau driver (which should work).

Elpenor
August 14th, 2018, 02:19 PM
I had the same issue with a tower system equipped with an Nvidia card.
I suspected an improper upgrade of the drivers/config so I tried first:
sudo apt purge nvidia*
ubuntu-drivers autoinstall
I don't know if it did any good but it didn't solve the issue right away.
What did was switching from lightdm to sddm using:
dpkg-reconfigure lightdm
I'll admit I was on the verge of a backup and reinstall... ;)

geeky-1
August 15th, 2018, 05:49 AM
I can't even get to the setup menu now (seems to ignore F2 and just proceed - also whips past the GRUB so fast I don't even have a chance to press anything there either), so I think a clean install is my only option. There's nothing I need on it as it was mostly a clean install of 16.04 and I was just upgrading before trying to sell it since I finally bought an i7 laptop to replace it. It has Intel GMA 950 graphics, so not an nVidia problem...

mörgæs
August 15th, 2018, 09:12 AM
If you are going for a fresh install you could use the opportunity to switch to something lighter than Ubuntu, say Xubuntu.

Impavidus
August 15th, 2018, 09:41 AM
If you want to sell that laptop you should wipe the hard drive anyway. And unless the buyer has some very good reason to trust you, he should wipe it again.

geeky-1
August 15th, 2018, 10:04 AM
A fresh install of 18.04 failed again. So I went back and did a fresh install of 16.04 and it's working again. Before I doubled the RAM to 4 GB and swapped the 5400 RPM 160 GB hard drive with a 7200 RPM 320 GB hard drive I ran Lubuntu 16.04 on it since an older version of Ubuntu ran really slow. Ubuntu 16.04 seemed to run ok with the hardware upgrades.